i30 Owners Club

The irony of Dealership Workshops.

tw2005 · 13 · 2412

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
So Today, apart from a week of hell moving, my i30 FD SX CRDi  AKA "The Tractor" because of it's mileage and refusal to die needed some shoes.

I've been converted to using TYRESALES recently as they can have some really good deals if you are prepared to be patient and vigilent visiting their site regularly.

Basically you pay online, select the fitter of your choice, they ship and then on the day go and get them fitted.

SO Ross Llewellyn Tyre & Mech did a set of 4 recently , did a good job so back I go this time with my tractor.

They are a mainstream Dealership and the tyre division is an offshoot. Always on the hunt for work. Chuck the manager the keys , off he goes and then shortly after says, hey , you know there's an outstanding service campaign on this ( brake switch). It's free! Sure why not.

So I laugh it off a bit thinking, yeah great, of I need this, 383000Ks, no issues, never been done, vehicle has no cruise, no ESP , brake lights are fine,so does it really need it?

Full marks they get cracking and say leave it and we'll squeeze this in, I see a 15min gap in the workshop schedule.

No breathing for these guys. No probs, duck back late afternoon, all done, paperwork, mech report citing 3 potential issues, again full marks , all 3 I have diagnosed myself so no bullshit at this point, thanks a lot see ya later.

Now I'm never a fan of getting other people to work on my cars except if they were under wty or they simply have the best resources to solve a problem.

Jump in the tractor and head home, enjoying the nice new rubber, so quiet (TOYO Proxes CF2) and grip!
More unpacking and frustration finding stuff for a couple of hours, desk neeeds reassembly with bigger screws.

Honey, I think I'll just duck down to Bunnings to get a screw, well several TBH. Head down the road and Hmmm, Headlights on,  :argh: where the F is my display lighting including the HVAC controls and everything else that's handy to see at night?

Now, first thoughts are, have they fitted the correct switch, blown fuse and are my brake lights working.

Continue my trek to that great hardware icon Bunnings and reverse into a dim spot, hard to check these on your own and hit the brakes. Sure enough the wall lit, turned the lights off and oh, there's my centre display with my ODO. Back on and gone..

Oh crap, I know what's happened. To get to the brake switch the trim cover that houses the dimmer has to be removed.

SO I have not pulled that out but I'm 100% confident they forgot to reconnect that dimmer and complete the circuit :agoodjob:

No issues before, but now I do, gotta laugh , murphy's law.

Sometimes rushing a job to help a customer can backfire. Now, do I waste my time and some of theirs to make them complete the task or simply grab my screwdriver and get in there  myself :groan:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I had a similar issue where Hyundai replaced my grill under warranty and forgot to reconnect the DRL's which as usual you never notice till you get home :rolleyes:

I couldn't be bothered going back and waiting around for them to rectify as it's an easy fix though I did give the service manager a call to let them know they forgot one step :)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I had a similar issue where Hyundai replaced my grill under warranty and forgot to reconnect the DRL's which as usual you never notice till you get home :rolleyes:

I couldn't be bothered going back and waiting around for them to rectify as it's an easy fix though I did give the service manager a call to let them know they forgot one step :)
LOL, I'm sure they lost sleep. :rofl: NEXT!

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'm sure they didn't :) but I know Tony would have had a quiet word in the ear of the fitter to double check his work next time.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I'm sure they didn't :) but I know Tony would have had a quiet word in the ear of the fitter to double check his work next time.
I'm hoping for a survey request. Problem is , may seem trivial but if you can forget that , you can forget anything and potentially cause an accident like a split pin . At least it's not aeronautical product.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
and potentially cause an accident like a split pin. At least it's not aeronautical product.
Are you trying to give me enquiry flashbacks, tw? 2005 had me losing enough sleep, thanks! :crazy1:

:link: 2005 Nias Island Sea King crash - Wikipedia
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
tw? 2005
See what I did there? :winker: :lol:
Sorry, yes you are very clever. I don't loose sleep on it  but Unfortunately some things stick in my mind and are unconscionable. 

Whenever I see someone taking a shortcut or blow something off that may affect safety I often reference it.

A very sad part of our history

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
You will be happy with the Toyos....Very good tyre. Even better when you get one free....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
You will be happy with the Toyos....Very good tyre. Even better when you get one free....
Thanks mate, just need your address and I'll come collect the freebie.

On a side note, so far got no response from my reply text to Llewellyn's, and yes sure enough came the automated survey, with the obligatory 0 score and suggesting they read my previous.

but wait, there's more. lets send out an automated your vehicle service is due, win big, book now. Woo Hoo. Except it can't be late as they don't service it.

Nice people to talk but, guys focus on the nut and bolts get the job right and the rest will take care of itself.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Im sure you've sorted it yourself by now but i would say hell yeah take it back.
I try to live by the old saying "if your unhappy with my work tell me, if you're happy tell someone else"
How the f#*% am i supposed to learn if i send a job out wrong thinking all is good and never hear from them again?
I've made and learned from more mistakes than any book has taught me.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I make mistakes.....I got married so I always have someone to point them out to me.....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Im sure you've sorted it yourself by now but i would say hell yeah take it back.
I try to live by the old saying "if your unhappy with my work tell me, if you're happy tell someone else"
How the f#*% am i supposed to learn if i send a job out wrong thinking all is good and never hear from them again?
I've made and learned from more mistakes than any book has taught me.
Amen, How true and under normal circumstances I would and literally be on their doorstep awaiting the door to open.
Time constraints are mostly the cause for this anyway.

things are so crazy for me I don't have the time or patience. Did have a great yak though with the Tyre Guy on how F'ing awesome these 1st gen diesel i30s are though. Said his eyes popped wide open when he saw the ODO heading towards 400000k :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 00:15:19 by tw2005 »

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal