Almost 5000 kilometres road trip in i30 SR

Dazzler · 10 · 20830

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I thought some might be interested to know my experiences with our I30 SR DCT ( non premium) on a just completed drive from Port Melbourne to Toowoomba and return over 23 days with two adults and a full complement of luggage including 3 boxes of stuff for my daughter.

So we ended up doing 4854 kilometres at a trip PC fuel average of 6.7 L/100 kms. Used 341 litres of fuel at a cost of $447.83 which by my calculations works out at 7.04 L/100 kms. Still pretty good for a well loaded sporty little car. I sat on the speed limit as much as I could working on an under read of 5kph which still gave me a roughly 2kph buffer at highway speeds... I think all bar one fill was E10 the other was 91 unleaded.

Prebooked a service at Tweed Hyundai before setting out as expected to get close to the 20K service interval by the time we got to Kingscliff where my brother lives. Mileage was 19,909 when we arrived at the dealer. Service was pretty good (thanks to service advisor Carla) I think I paid $303 including $33 to rotate and balance the tyres.

They put my tyre pressures up from 34 psi cold to 38 psi cold which was a bit of a pain. I finally got around to reducing them back several days later as ride and tyre noise is better at 34psi.

The SR was a delight to drive soaking up the kilometres without a hitch. Well only one small hitch. Still getting the random Blind spot monitoring disabled , Radar blocked message occasionally. Happened about 4 times but didn't need that function at the time and it reset itself next time I resumed driving. Didn't have time for Tweed hyundai to look at it this service. Things to do, places to go.

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
6.7l/100  :Shocked:

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

6.7l/100  :Shocked:

Yeah, I know. $hit compared to what you get but Hyundai Petrol "Autos" haven't been particularly economical in the past. I reckon it is pretty good considering it is rated at 7.5 combined.  :cool:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Nice. And it's still a reasonably red colour! :tomato:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Nice. And it's still a reasonably red colour! :tomato:
:rolleyes: Looks a bit sun affected from all that QLD Sun, looks QLD Maroon to me :whistler:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My front and back red beading had to go.. that faded! But I have more redder stuff to try.  :victory:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Due to the lack of traffic (Thanks Commonwealth Games) I saw the i40 tick down to 4.8/100 the other day. I got a little tear in my eye.

Filled up in Southport (129.9 beat that) and before I got off the highway in Brisbane it was sitting on 4.6. On a long run I would be hoping for 4.4. Who needs a Hybrid?

Car still looks good.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Due to the lack of traffic (Thanks Commonwealth Games) I saw the i40 tick down to 4.8/100 the other day. I got a little tear in my eye.

Filled up in Southport (129.9 beat that) and before I got off the highway in Brisbane it was sitting on 4.6. On a long run I would be hoping for 4.4. Who needs a Hybrid?

Car still looks good.
Diesel? Must be @129.9?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The 4.8/100 didn't give me away?  :cool:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Car still looks good.
Diesel? Must be @129.9?
Unleaded prices varied a lot on our trip. Because we were covering a lot of ground ( up to 400 kilometres per day) I topped up whenever I saw a cheaper station. That meant 11 fills on the trip even though I had a safe range of 650+ kilometres which theoretically would have meant only needing 8 fills.

Cheapest I got was E10 near Melbourne at 123.9 and the dearest was 140.4 (I only got $20 at that one  :snigger: ) My average fuel price for the 9 fills worked out at 131.00 which I was happy with seeing as I am paying 138.9 after 6c RACT discount at United here in Tassie at the moment for E10.

Interesting that E10 is generally 4c P/L cheaper than unleaded on the mainland and only 1c cheaper here.  :twisted: :fum:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal