i30 Owners Club

Petrol Consumption computer not correct?

filmart · 15 · 4569

Offline filmart

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Ive just purchased a new i30 Active, 2 litre petrol and I'm still running it in.  With 938 kms on the clock, I've purchased 87 litres to the last fill.  The car tells me my fuel consumption is just over 7 liters/100km but my calculation is more like 9.2.

The car was delivered with a full tank above the full marker on the gauge and it seemed very economical to refill until my last fill from the half way mark took 40 litres. So what's the story?.

The manual gives a dire warning about not overfilling the tank past the first click-off with the pump nozzle because of the sensitive electronics.  What does that mean because when I stop at the first click, it still has not filled the tank.  The warnings are that the sensitive electronic sensors in the tank will be damaged.  But how can that be? petrol would be sloshing around in the tank all the time the car is being driven.

I've changed the user settings from re-setting every time the tank is filled, to resetting every time the ignition is turned on.

I'm really perplexed about this.  Warranty at risk over filling the tank? Really?
  • i30 Active MY2017 First registered Mar2018

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi there filmart,

That's interesting about the dire warning? I don't ever read TFM...  :-[

Out of interest is yours a manual or the 6 speed auto?

I have a i30 SR (non Premium) with DCT (Dual Clutch Transmission) I recently did a long road trip 4854 kilometres in 23 days and did the manual calc versus computer comparison. See this thread...

:link: My black beauty

To be honest I didn't brim it but did fill well past the first click. When I refilled with the warning light on and say 50 kilometres range remaining I was getting 43 to 45 litres in the tank after a couple more clicks which i figured was close enough.

The longer distance you calculate the fuel use over the more accurate your figure should be. In my opinion anyway. I think a couple of tank fulls isn't enough.

My Trip PC said 6.7 L/100 kms and I calculated 7.04 L/100 kms. The Trip PC's do appear to be slightly optimistic but from my 10 years on this site the trip PC on all three series has proven to generally be relatively accurate (if a little optimistic)

The 6 speed auto isn't as efficient as the DCT. What sort of driving have you been doing? Mine was obviously mostly highway with only a small percentage of stop start city traffic. 
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hi filmart,
I think the over-filling is associated with the possibility that the vapour line from tank.to charcoal canister may fill with liquid instead of vapour. Kills the charcoal apparently. 
( may be wrong )
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline filmart

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Thanks guys.   That's helpful info.  I didn't think much about the transmission when I bought the car.  Mine is the 6 speed auto and I've done 60% of my Kms in Sydney non peak driving and 40% highway to the Southern Highlands.  I'm filling with Unleaded 91.  I'll keep an eye on how I fill and also will need to watch out for that fuel light.

Disappointed that this model doesn't rate as well on fuel consumption but I'll try out the semi auto shift. 

I'm not sure whether to fill with Ethanol blended.  I'm using Unleaded 91 atm.
  • i30 Active MY2017 First registered Mar2018

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks guys.   That's helpful info.  I didn't think much about the transmission when I bought the car.  Mine is the 6 speed auto and I've done 60% of my Kms in Sydney non peak driving and 40% highway to the Southern Highlands.  I'm filling with Unleaded 91.  I'll keep an eye on how I fill and also will need to watch out for that fuel light.

Disappointed that this model doesn't rate as well on fuel consumption but I'll try out the semi auto shift. 

I'm not sure whether to fill with Ethanol blended.  I'm using Unleaded 91 atm.

E10 is fine in my opinion. From that link you will see I used E10 90% of the time with my turbo. It certainly won't hurt the 2.0.

I don't seem to get much if any difference in economy with E10 Versus 91 like some suggest.  :undecided:

For a 2.0 Petrol Auto in those conditions 9.0 isn't that bad. Although if the Trip computer is saying your accumulated average is considerably lower then i would do a manual calculation over at least a handful of tanks...  :cool:

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
Im guessin its quite similar with petrols like diesels during the run-in period: fuel economy will be bonkers up to about 10000-15000kms so dont make to much of an early assumption. :)

Concentrate on doing a good engine run-in and the numbers should start showing the right way eventually. No harm in keeping fill-to-fill records though, fun to track the FE. :)
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good point xiziz,  :goodjob:

Some cars I have had didn't improve much but I am guesstimating after more than 20,000 kilometres my SR has improved by around maybe .2 L/100 kms. That's only about 3%, but it all helps. :cool:

Offline tartakobsky

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
last year drove back from mt. buller, i top-up at st. arnaud(vic) and reached adelaide with 2 bars left.

but pure city driving, mine's 29k odo, cannot go past 9km per liter using fulltank method. my other car, a 93 lancer is able to do 11km per liter.
  • I30 Active GD4 Series 2

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach
mine says the average is 9.2 but my calcs says 8.4, 2.0/6 speed manual with 6000km on the odo.
  • 2017 Active PD 2.0, Manual, Black

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

mine says the average is 9.2 but my calcs says 8.4, 2.0/6 speed manual with 6000km on the odo.

That seems high! Is that 9.2 the overall average on the screen with accumulated mileage? Even your manual calculation seems high for a manual trans. I guess you must be doing a fair percentage of city stop start driving??

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach

That seems high! Is that 9.2 the overall average on the screen with accumulated mileage? Even your manual calculation seems high for a manual trans. I guess you must be doing a fair percentage of city stop start driving??

Dunno what it is but when I scrolled through the menu that was the number displayed, driving is 100% city stop start.
  • 2017 Active PD 2.0, Manual, Black

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Dunno what it is but when I scrolled through the menu that was the number displayed, driving is 100% city stop start.

That's not too bad then..

There are three screens I think when you scroll through. One that shows instant and what I assume is sort of current average. Then the next one has distance travelled today and average consumption for that distance. Then the third one which i take the most notice of is distance travelled since last reset and average since last reset.

Mine since I got back to Tassie just ticked over 2000 kilometres and was 7.2 L/100 kilometres. You might remember I got 6.7 for my 4850 kilometres on the mainland but higher speed limits down here and probably doing more short trips as a % of total driving. 

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I'm particularly pleased that my Corolla, since I bought it mid last year, is showing 6.8 l/100 K.
And my excel spreadsheet for the same period is 6.78.
6 speed manual petrol. And it's been about 3 months since I used a highway. At that point it was 6.7 on the dash.
Surprisingly little difference between urban and rural.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm particularly pleased that my Corolla, since I bought it mid last year, is showing 6.8 l/100 K.
And my excel spreadsheet for the same period is 6.78.
6 speed manual petrol. And it's been about 3 months since I used a highway. At that point it was 6.7 on the dash.
Surprisingly little difference between urban and rural.

The CVT versions I rent are pretty good too!  :victory:

Offline Eliseszy

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane Queensland
Thanks for mentioning the warning about not overfilling beyond the first click when the pump automatically switches off. I hadn't noticed that in the manual.  I've done it 3-4 times but thanks to high fuel prices I don't always fill right up. Won't be doing it again. When I was stopping at the click the gauge was just on the full mark not over it. I have 2017 PD hatch auto. My driving is heaps of stop start really short distances so the fuel consumption is awful overall.
  • 2021 PD v.4 Active Hatch

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal