i30 Owners Club

Preferred Tyre Pressures

filmart · 24 · 4647

Offline filmart

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
So what do i30 owners do with their tyre pressures?  Mine came with 36 psi when the book specified 33.  I found highway driving very noisy and rough.  I've let them down to 34 and thinking about going down to 33.  Does anyone do this differently?
  • i30 Active MY2017 First registered Mar2018

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
36psi for mine, best balance between tyre life - fuel economy and ride.

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
My new tires I put 2.8kg(40psi) in for start, the oem ventus prime 2’s I had to ride 3.2kg(45.5psi) for them to not feel like spagetti. Workshop puts them down to 2.6kg(36psi) at service. I have not tried the new michelins at that yet.

I do ride a lot of hills/tight corners and mostly at 70/80kph and atleast a few times a week with 200kg of load so I rather err on the high side than low.
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Agree with xiziz. Keep pressure high for safety. On the FD fronts I run 38 psi. Found we were getting a high wear rate at lower pressures.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
In an active with higher profile and narrower tread I would probably run 36 psi. With the 18 inch wheels and low profile tyres on my SR I find 34/35 is best compromise for ride and tyre noise. When the dealer put mine up to 38 at the 20K service it was definitely harsher and noisier. Couldn't wait to drop them back down.

If you find yours a bit quieter and nicer at 34 psi they are still safe at that pressure. Higher pressures might reduce tyre wear slightly but I'm prepared to forego a few 1000 kms for the reduced noise and better ride. (and I'm a tight ar$e)  :crazy2:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 The PD you will know better than most, Dazz. The noise has always been a criticism regarding the FD, better in the GD. My mechanic mate , an FD & GD owner came to the same conclusion (38psi) - the front tyres scrub out at a lower pressure.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The PD you will know better than most, Dazz. The noise has always been a criticism regarding the FD, better in the GD. My mechanic mate , an FD & GD owner came to the same conclusion (38psi) - the front tyres scrub out at a lower pressure.

I had my tyres rotated at 20K and they reckon the frons had 5 mm of tread left the backs 6 mm. Just had a good look at them. No evidence of scrubbing but the fronts (now on the back) are visibly more worn than the other two, but evenly and with no evidence of scrubbing. 

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
36 to 38 on our GDAX.
Thinking of going down to 20 to wear the nexens out real quick -cant wait.  :disapp:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I concur sir  :mrgreen: :goodjob2:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Surely if the car is in an incident/accident then the insurance investigator will check tyre pressures. 

They may conclude that running at a pressure in excess or even lower than manufacturers recommended may have contributed by the innocent party.

What do others think?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Surely if the car is in an incident/accident then the insurance investigator will check tyre pressures. 

They may conclude that running at a pressure in excess or even lower than manufacturers recommended may have contributed by the innocent party.

What do others think?
Most car tyres are generally rated between 32 and 44psi (50psi max for mine), anywhere inside those pressures should be fine I would think.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

What do others think?
Most car tyres are generally rated between 32 and 44psi (50psi max for mine), anywhere inside those pressures should be fine I would think.

Yes Lester,

Nobody is "seriously" suggesting or recommending anything outside those numbers.  :cool:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I run Firty at 41psi all 'round and get very even wear, great handling and very long tyre life. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I run Firty at 41psi all 'round and get very even wear, great handling and very long tyre life. :victory:

Go the "Zirconia backs " 😀

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia

What do others think?

Sorry for any confusion.
I should make good use of the handbrake at every take off  - Smoking  :mrgreen:
Arrh fark it , should just go and change them.  :victory:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Go the "Zirconia backs " 😀
:topmegacool:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

What do others think?

Sorry for any confusion.
I should make good use of the handbrake at every take off  - Smoking  :mrgreen:
Arrh fark it , should just go and change them.  :victory:

If Gonz can live with his Zirconias, I'm sure you can live with the Nexens until they wear out...  :whistler:

I didn't think they were THAT bad? You might find whatever you swap to not as much better as you are hoping.  :undecided:

When members have swapped to Continentals and other tyres recommended for handling, ride and quietness they seem to only report small differences over the Hankook, Kumho and Nexens...

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach
According to the tyre pressure doofa on the dash Iam running 34 front and 33 rear.
  • 2017 Active PD 2.0, Manual, Black

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

According to the tyre pressure doofa on the dash Iam running 34 front and 33 rear.

Is that shortly after takeoff? Mine are set to 34 cold which corresponds with the TPMS when it first starts to register. After say 10 or 20 minutes of highway driving on a 20+ degree day they can show 37 or  even 38 PSI (hot)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

What do others think?

The rec pressure for mine is shown as 32psi.

So if i was to run say at 40psi cold then to me this is excessive.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach

Is that shortly after takeoff? Mine are set to 34 cold which corresponds with the TPMS when it first starts to register. After say 10 or 20 minutes of highway driving on a 20+ degree day they can show 37 or  even 38 PSI (hot)

Yeah cold/work commute, never taken any notice on the highway.
  • 2017 Active PD 2.0, Manual, Black

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

What do others think?

The rec pressure for mine is shown as 32psi.

So if i was to run say at 40psi cold then to me this is excessive.
Depending on what max pressure your tyres are rated too and the style of driving and ride feel you're after then 40psi might be excessive for your needs Lester, though if the pressures being run are within the limits written on tyre sidewall then it's fine :goodjob2:

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
195/65-15, 2,5bar in front. 2.7bar in rear.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
195/65-15, 2,5bar in front. 2.7bar in rear.

Hmmm..  :phone1:  36.2594 psi in FRONT and 39.1602 psi in REAR

sounds reasonable 

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal