i30 Owners Club

E 10 VS Premium petrol test. Qld Channel 7 news.

John B · 19 · 4465

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Channel 7  evening news Wed 18th April Queensland will be showing a segment with two Hyundai i30s testing E10 and premium fuel to see what is the most economical.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks John,

I obviously didn't see that one, but it has been done before and I'm sure there would be videos on you tube.

In Tassie we only save 1c on E10 where as on the mainland it is often 4c or more. Our differential for 98 is probably greater though at about 17c.

So the difference between the two prices would have a big bearing on the result.  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Channel 7  evening news Wed 18th April Queensland will be showing a segment with two Hyundai i30s testing E10 and premium fuel to see what is the most economical.
Recorded it for later but caught a glimpse of the footage.
Weren't they Kona's?
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Weren't they Kona's?

:whistler:

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
9l/100 what are they playing GTA?
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Weren't they Kona's?

:whistler:

So, yes.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

So what was the verdict? Depends on who sponsored the tests... I'm guessing they will say 98 is better value in the long run because the big oil companies have been spending a lot of money to promote it.  :whistler: :evil:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
So what was the verdict? Depends on who sponsored the tests... I'm guessing they will say 98 is better value in the long run because the big oil companies have been spending a lot of money to promote it.  :whistler: :evil:
It was John Cadogan and no I believe it was E10. It's probably not a well known fact people consider but E10 is around 94/95 RON.

I used it in my 93 Galant V6, 95 RON was minimum required and saved me plenty, at least 20c / lt especially in Darwin
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

It was John Cadogan and no I believe it was E10. It's probably not a well known fact people consider but E10 is around 94/95 RON.

I used it in my 93 Galant V6, 95 RON was minimum required and saved me plenty, at least 20c / lt especially in Darwin

Yeah, clearly marked as 95 Ron down here in Tassie (United) I think BP's is 94 Ron.

I'm surprised a vehicle of that age was OK with E10. I thought they weren't designed to run it with E10 eating hoses and stuff? More modern vehicles have had some mods I believe.  :undecided:

I guess it was just a re-run of the original one John did with different vehicles. I think he might have used Hyundais for the first version a few years ago too. If he's not sticking it up the car companies, he's sticking it up the fuel companies. He's either brave or stupid!  :sweating:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Several hundred dollars saving for a two car family over a year. Using E10.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'd love to know how United justifies only giving Tassie customers a 1c saving over unleaded when in Vic and NSW it's 4 cents cheaper! Haven't seen many if any other stations offer it down here. That might be the difference.  We do get 6c p/l off at united with our RAC card but it starts from a high point of around 1.45 p/l

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

I'd love to know how United justifies only giving Tassie customers a 1c saving over unleaded when in Vic and NSW it's 4 cents cheaper! Haven't seen many if any other stations offer it down here. That might be the difference.  We do get 6c p/l off at united with our RAC card but it starts from a high point of around 1.45 p/l
In Queensland, the difference is generally only between 1.5 and 1.9cpl.
We get 4c / litre off with our RACQ card at  PUMA stations. But more often than not these days we are around $1.49 / litre

Edit. Dropping ATM. Down towards $1.30 / litre.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

We get 4c / litre off with our RACQ card at  PUMA stations. But more often than not these days we are around $1.49 / litre

That's interesting I think I only bought one tankful in Queensland on this trip. I did pretty well to average $1.31 on my recent trip.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I didn't see this test mentioned in our news last night, I must have missed it :confused:

I guess it was similar to the ones we've seen before though which showed how the fuel (E10) was minimally cheaper to buy but you don't get as great a mileage out of it because of the fuel density difference :undecided:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I didn't see this test mentioned in our news last night, I must have missed it :confused:

I guess it was similar to the ones we've seen before though which showed how the fuel (E10) was minimally cheaper to buy but you don't get as great a mileage out of it because of the fuel density difference :undecided:
No. They weren't comparing E10 with Unleaded 91.
It was E10 v premium unleaded. I think 95 but would have to watching again to be sure.

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach

That's interesting I think I only bought one tankful in Queensland on this trip. I did pretty well to average $1.31 on my recent trip.

I live in Strathpine and work in Rocklea, I note the fuel prices and (so far this week) @ 1.29.1 for "special unleaded" at a caltex/711 near work to 148.2 at a caltex/711 in the city to 1.36.7 at a caltex/711 near home......

How does that work ?
  • 2017 Active PD 2.0, Manual, Black

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

I live in Strathpine and work in Rocklea, I note the fuel prices and (so far this week) @ 1.29.1 for "special unleaded" at a caltex/711 near work to 148.2 at a caltex/711 in the city to 1.36.7 at a caltex/711 near home......

How does that work ?
That's quite a drive.
Prices are going up right now. Some places around $1.55 l litre.
Price gouging on the "shortage". :crazy1:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

How does that work ?

The crazy thing is some people make no attempt to buy cheaper fuel. I won't make big detours to save a couple of bucks but if I'm going past two stations and there is say 5+cents  difference I know which one I'll choose.

Down here BP used to be the dearest but shell seems to have taken over that position now. Seemed to be the case in Vic and NSW too.. They only offer 4c on their shopper dockets too whereas Woollies match the RAC/United deal of 6C off and are often a couple of cents cheaper than to start with.  :cool:

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach

How does that work ?

The crazy thing is some people make no attempt to buy cheaper fuel. I won't make big detours to save a couple of bucks but if I'm going past two stations and there is say 5+cents  difference I know which one I'll choose.

Down here BP used to be the dearest but shell seems to have taken over that position now. Seemed to be the case in Vic and NSW too.. They only offer 4c on their shopper dockets too whereas Woollies match the RAC/United deal of 6C off and are often a couple of cents cheaper than to start with.  :cool:

Yeah there is 4 cars here at home and I'll take a different one to work to fill up when it needs it.
  • 2017 Active PD 2.0, Manual, Black

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal