i30 Owners Club

Intermittent ESP warning and self braking.

Offline Sammi_tweeti

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Warrington
I’ve been having issues with my i30 classic 2011 for over a year now. The car suddenly and intermittently applies the brakes slightly while driving. The ESP off light comes on on the dash and when the brake pedal is pressed the side lights come on as well as the dash all lighting up ( like the lights have been put on) when releasing the brake pedal the lights go off. It’s been into Hyundai today and they say it’s a sensor on the steering column and they can’t just replace the sensor, it has to be a full column replacement at £950 (that’s just the part price). Has any one else had this issue??? Also they say the brake switch needs replacing.
  • I30 2011

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I’ve been having issues with my i30 classic 2011 for over a year now. The car suddenly and intermittently applies the brakes slightly while driving. The ESP off light comes on on the dash and when the brake pedal is pressed the side lights come on as well as the dash all lighting up ( like the lights have been put on) when releasing the brake pedal the lights go off. It’s been into Hyundai today and they say it’s a sensor on the steering column and they can’t just replace the sensor, it has to be a full column replacement at £950 (that’s just the part price). Has any one else had this issue??? Also they say the brake switch needs replacing.
Wow. that's some crazy stuff. I'd been freaking out if my car randomly doing it's own thing driving normally.

I can only assume the ESP is seeing data that indicates the vehicle is out of control and applying the brakes .

As for the steering column, to my knowledge the only sensor in there is the steering angle sensor and from what i under it's non-replaceable and integral part of the column.

Assuming it is defective there's always the 2nd hand option from a wrecker.

Did they indicate how they determined it was faulty or give you some written report?

Is the dash light issue resolved?

That's probably one I'd investigate and sort out first. Reason being a defective brake switch does trigger the ESP off light to come on as a fault. there is in fact a service campaign the replace these free of charge(In Australia at least) as they are a known fault.

The next  bit  is real interesting. Apply the brakes and the dash illuminates and the side lights(indicators??)

Sounds like an electrical short to me or something screwy with the wiring. Going to need as much info as you can provide.

I'm doubtful it's the brake switch itself but:

Does this vehicle have a tow bar fitted with an electrical connection

Have any bulbs been replaced in the taillight assemblies? Check all bulbs in there for correct type and fitment.

Check harnesses for damage / chaffing

Are you the original owner? has it been involved in any accidents or had any repairs done?

I'm looking  for an event that altered this vehicle potentially.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 21:52:04 by tw2005 »
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Whatever happens, it'd be mighty good if you can update this thread with whatever happens for the next person plus it's a really interesting fault scenario :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome: Sammi,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. As usual Gerard (one of our volunteer advisors) has done an awesome job of a remote diagnosis!  :goodjob:

I would be getting that brake light switch fixed first (should be a warranty fix) and checking the other things Gerard suggested before forking out for the column replacement. I'm not convinced that the column would generate these issues.

Good luck with it and as Gerard says please keep us in the loop.  :cool:

EDIT: BTW, if you do end up needing a new column I believe they can sometimes be had 2nd hand with a short warranty for less than half that price.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
It sounds like the dealer is having an each way bet. If the brake switch is faulty, its a free replacement.

What you are experiencing is the steering angle telling the ESP that you are going around a corner too fast etc. ESP applies one or more of the brakes to correct your bad driving.

If your wheel alignment (front or rear) is incorrect, or steering angle is not centered, you can have this problem. Centering the steering is a 5 minute job. ( scanner is plugged in) Go and see a trusted mechanic before bending over for the dealer.  :wink:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
:welcome: Sammi,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. As usual Gerard (one of our volunteer advisors) has done an awesome job of a remote diagnosis!  :goodjob:

I would be getting that brake light switch fixed first (should be a warranty fix) and checking the other things Gerard suggested before forking out for the column replacement. I'm not convinced that the column would generate these issues.

Good luck with it and as Gerard says please keep us in the loop.  :cool:

:wts:

Great minds work alike.

Usually
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Sammi_tweeti

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Warrington
Hi thank you for your response.
It is the steering angle sensor circuit signal and it is showing as a variant coding error. Then the brake switch circuit error shooing as lost communication with steering angle sensor. These are faults showing when connected to the diagnostics computer.

Regarding the steering column they said that the sensor is coded to the car so I couldn’t get one from another car as it would be coded wrong.

The dash lighting up and side lights coming on (not indicators) has baffled them a bit and they just tell me that these are the faults showing and they are 98% sure if I fix those it will fix the faults it’s having. Personally I think a wire is shorting out somewhere.

Sorry I’m working down your list of questions

The car does not have a tow bar.

A brake bulb was replaced last year after the problem started but not before and none have been changed since.

I am the 3rd owner. 1st owner had a cat C accident at the rear passanger side. A dealer bought it and had work done in it then I bought it.

I have a video of the dash lighting up with the brake pedal. I’m not sure if I can upload videos on here tho.
  • I30 2011

Offline Sammi_tweeti

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Warrington
They have quoted £39.39+vat for the brake switch. They said it was out of warranty.
  • I30 2011

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

They have quoted £39.39+vat for the brake switch. They said it was out of warranty.

That seems unfair as being a known warranty item it should be replaced FOC even out of the warranty period. Suggest they check with Hyundai UK. :cool:

I would still get that fixed and the rear light globes inspected before doing anything else.

Their argument about the steering column coding sounds very odd. Many members have had their column changed for other reasons without a coding issue.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I'm sure it is a recall if your vin is within the range so foc

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm sure it is a recall if your vin is within the range so foc

Stand your ground because they will probably add some labour too if not classed as warranty.  :cool:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Over here it was a service campaign, not a recall so not on our recall register however my local dealer is very proactive on it.  Must be any easy $$ for them

All of my cars which are all out of warranty and high Ks including 388000K example were replaced.

Of course what they do in one region may not be recognised in another but they would not do it if it was not a concern.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@Sammi_tweeti

Feel free to refer them to this thread if you think it might help your case.

If they do the right thing by you we are happy to give them a plug on here.  :victory:

@tw2005

Thanks for the link!  :goodjob:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Mate I think you should talk to an auto electrician rather than a mechanic; and certainly not at the dealer.

It is the steering angle sensor circuit signal and it is showing as a variant coding error. Then the brake switch circuit error showing as lost communication with steering angle sensor. These are faults showing when connected to the diagnostics computer.

I do have electronic experience. I can see no immediate connection between these circuits. Diagnostic scan is indicative and useful info, but not necessarily accurate.

Regarding the steering column they said that the sensor is coded to the car so I couldn’t get one from another car as it would be coded wrong.

utter bullshit. Column from a wrecked FD can be used. Sensor is reset accordingly.

The dash lighting up and side lights coming on (not indicators) has baffled them a bit and they just tell me that these are the faults showing and they are 98% sure if I fix those it will fix the faults it’s having.

By "side lights" do you mean white parking lights?
"98% sure if I fix those it will fix the faults" This is about the only accurate info they have given you.
This is what YOU can do. Remove both brake bulbs. Does the fault remain/ hatch brk light work?
Replace one bulb at a time back. see change?
This could be a short, but also an open negative. In that case the bulb will use the circuit of another bulb to illuminate. A short or open inside a bulb can give similar result.
Incidentally, a new brake switch is about $30 on Ebay, one of your kids will show you how to replace it  :mrgreen:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
probably better writing to HMC in the UK for clarification on it. If it's an official campaign it shouid have a TSB number associated with it and a written document outlining the whole process, limitations, etc

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Mate I think you should talk to an auto electrician rather than a mechanic; and certainly not at the dealer.

It is the steering angle sensor circuit signal and it is showing as a variant coding error. Then the brake switch circuit error showing as lost communication with steering angle sensor. These are faults showing when connected to the diagnostics computer.

I do have electronic experience. I can see no immediate connection between these circuits. Diagnostic scan is indicative and useful info, but not necessarily accurate.

utter bullshit. Column from a wrecked FD can be used. Sensor is reset accordingly.

The dash lighting up and side lights coming on (not indicators) has baffled them a bit and they just tell me that these are the faults showing and they are 98% sure if I fix those it will fix the faults it’s having.

By "side lights" do you mean white parking lights?
"98% sure if I fix those it will fix the faults" This is about the only accurate info they have given you.
This is what YOU can do. Remove both brake bulbs. Does the fault remain/ hatch brk light work?
Replace one bulb at a time back. see change?
This could be a short, but also an open negative. In that case the bulb will use the circuit of another bulb to illuminate. A short or open inside a bulb can give similar result.
Incidentally, a new brake switch is about $30 on Ebay, one of your kids will show you how to replace it  :mrgreen:
Afternoon NZ  :mrgreen: In fine form  I see.

coded column, that's a newie. On that basis I would cease trusting that dealership immediately unless they are stretching a long bow on the calibration. They are coded for region I believe, I recall seeing someting in the OEM scan when I did a angle reset.

I shall have a read of the  manwell for any clues.

Offline Sammi_tweeti

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Warrington
Thank you. I did have a recall done on the brake switch done on17/7/14.
  • I30 2011

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thank you. I did have a recall done on the brake switch done on17/7/14.

It is possible they installed the wrong one. There were at least two different ones although I don't know the part numbers.

Something to do with having cruise or no cruise I think. In Australia at least I know a few members had to go back for a 2nd fix.  :undecided:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :goodjob2: True.

Ive found they often have an extra switch, works fine, but its just not used if car does not have cruise.

Possibly old stock was fitted or just bad luck, therefore the 2nd fix required.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal