i30 Owners Club

2010 HYUNDAI I30 STEERING HEAVY EPS & ESP LIGHT OFF ARE SHOWING

Offline Chouhdry123

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hello guys i am new to the topic sorry if i miss something out,

I have a 2010 HYUNDAI I30 AUTOMATIC 1.6 PETROL.

The steering on my car has gone really heavy, the EPS light is showing on the dashboard. The ESP OFF light is also showing on the dashboard. I plugged in my £10 OBD Tool and it was showing no error/fault codes. Tried all the techniques such as moving the steering wheel left 360* and then right etc.. Disconnected battery for a while...

Nothing fixed it.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • 2010 HYUNDAI I30 AUTOMATIC 1.6 PETROL

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
your cheap OBD tool is unlikely able to access the steering system, we had a recall over here for models around 2010 for potential steering power assistance failure.

If the unit is dead, a used one from a wreck is likely cheapest option.

Hyundai recalls FD i30 and HD Elantra models due to risk of losing steering assistance.

The Hyundai i30 and Elantra are being recalled due to a potential electric power steering fault that could increase the steering effort required to control the car, which could be hazardous.

If the problem occurs, Hyundai advises that an electronic power steering (EPS) light will illuminate on the vehicle’s dashboard.

The vehicles affected were sold in Australia between the start of November 2009 and the end of April 2010.

More specifically, the recall affects Elantras with VINs (Vehicle Identification Number) ranging between KMHDU41DAAU929998 and KMHDT41B9BU084665. The i30 VINs affected range between KMHDC81TMAU064300 and KMHDC51TMAU267226.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Chouhdry123

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
There was a recall here in the UK for the Hyundai i30 FDE.

It was saying something about the steering assistance being lost.
The VIN FROM: TMADC81SMAJ019026    TO: TMADC51SLBJ130189
BUILD:02/11/2009 END:01/05/2010

My VIN Starts With: T M A D B

Does that mean my car is not part of the recall?

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
There was a recall here in the UK for the Hyundai i30 FDE.

It was saying something about the steering assistance being lost.
The VIN FROM: TMADC81SMAJ019026    TO: TMADC51SLBJ130189
BUILD:02/11/2009 END:01/05/2010

My VIN Starts With: T M A D B

Does that mean my car is not part of the recall?
possibly not, what's the build date? Hyundai may be best point  of contact. Or get it diagnosed and go from there but obviously it's currently dead.

:link: Hyundai I30 1.4 Petrol Power Steering Pump 563002l500 2007-2015® | eBay

If they're this priced used and working, swap it out and  get the steering angle calibrated (via dignostic interface)

Offline Chouhdry123

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Just to let you anyone know, problem has been solved, i got a power steering column with the motor included and go a mechanic to fit it in all for the total of £225.

Thanks for your help.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Just to let you anyone know, problem has been solved, i got a power steering column with the motor included and go a mechanic to fit it in all for the total of £225.

Thanks for your help.
you've done well

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :whsaid: That's the cheapest fix I've heard!  :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Chouhdry123

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Took the car to a mechanic and got him to diagnose, he also said it could be either the motor or column, I decided to get the whole thing, I noted the part numbers and went on the search for the parts. Steering columns with the motor are online on eBay for £90, (after postage and fees the sellers are left with around £70), I went to a local scrap yard and found the part and offered them £75 for it whilst they wanted £100. They let me see the part work because the car was damaged from the rear anything on the front was basically perfect, started up the car had a little play with the steering. Was satisfied and got them to take it out, took it to my mechanic and he fitted it with a total of £150 for the labour. Overall £225 happy days...

Offline Chouhdry123

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Forgot to add that the dealers wanted money per hour to diagnose, and if it was what i said (steering column and motor) they wanted £1150 to supply and fit. Just shows its better to do your own research and get the car fixed by a reputable private mechanic.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Awesome!  :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Forgot to add that the dealers wanted money per hour to diagnose, and if it was what i said (steering column and motor) they wanted £1150 to supply and fit. Just shows its better to do your own research and get the car fixed by a reputable private mechanic.

For those who know me- I rest my case  :happydance:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

For those who know me- I rest my case  :happydance:
  You've been resting your case all week  :winker:

Offline Bella8io

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Dorset
Took the car to a mechanic and got him to diagnose, he also said it could be either the motor or column, I decided to get the whole thing, I noted the part numbers and went on the search for the parts. Steering columns with the motor are online on eBay for £90, (after postage and fees the sellers are left with around £70), I went to a local scrap yard and found the part and offered them £75 for it whilst they wanted £100. They let me see the part work because the car was damaged from the rear anything on the front was basically perfect, started up the car had a little play with the steering. Was satisfied and got them to take it out, took it to my mechanic and he fitted it with a total of £150 for the labour. Overall £225 happy days...

Hi I think I have the exact same problem with loss of power steering! Is all still working fine with your repair? Also how do I find out what the part numbers are that you needed??
  • I30 1.6 petrol estate blue 2009

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I went to a local scrap yard and found the part and offered them £75 for it whilst they wanted £100. They let me see the part work because the car was damaged from the rear anything on the front was basically perfect

Hi I think I have the exact same problem with loss of power steering! ..how do I find out what the part numbers are that you needed??

\
 :head_butt: ask the wrecker.  :rolleyes:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal