i30 Owners Club

2011 i30 driver side front interior door handle snapped in two !

Mal · 7 · 2389

Offline Mal

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Woodvale, Western Australia
Hi Folks
Has anyone had any experience with aftermarket internal door handles ?
My original broke in two the other week after 208,000 ks so it's done well, but I think seeing all the aftermarket ones on the net it may be a relatively common issue.
Any advise regarding fitting them, as well as the aftermarket qulity would be great ...
Many thanks
Mal     
  • 2011 i30

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi Folks
Has anyone had any experience with aftermarket internal door handles ?
My original broke in two the other week after 208,000 ks so it's done well, but I think seeing all the aftermarket ones on the net it may be a relatively common issue.
Any advise regarding fitting them, as well as the aftermarket qulity would be great ...
Many thanks
Mal     
SLX chrome?

Can't comment on the knock offs but OEM from the dealerships is usually about $70. You could get a full set around a $100 genuine if you can wait from O'Seas
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Plus of course there is also the wreckers...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :wss:

Quickest and you can see how to DIY
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I would buy new always unless stuck. The wreckers are likely going to charge as much if not more for an item that has already been exposed to UV and heat which is what kills the plastic anyway.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
The wreckers are likely going to charge as much if not more

Thats your problem  :undecided: if you cant speak Persian  :victory:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Mal

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Woodvale, Western Australia
Morning Folks
Many thanks for all your replies and yes, I was also thinking about the 'wear and tear' on one from the breakers too.
My one is all black plastic and I noticed it had a deep channel under the area where it broke, so I initially glued in a piece of alloy to strengthen it across the break. This worked for a while, but although the leverage isn't that great, it has fractured on the ends of the break and the alloy is holding it together to enable it to work, but its not a good look having a floppy door handle !  :) 
Genuine in WA is around $70 just for the lever, the breakers are around $30 and the aftermarket copies are around $30 plus postage which adds around $8.
There's a post which looks like it should have included a link on 'how to replace it',  but I don't see the link ?
Could you re-post that please, as it would be very helpful.
Many thanks again folks for providing a great forum.
Mal   

• 2011 i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal