i30 Owners Club

Steering wheel control i30 2009

Offline logicweapon

• 2nd Gear

• sg Singapore
      Singapore
Hello all,

I am new to this forum and I've been lurking around as a guest. Lately, I've installed a Pioneer Z5050BT on my i30 2009 FD and I've no steering wheel controls anymore. Apparently, the person who installed it said that it isn't compatible with the car and he proceeded to not install it and now I'm stuck without it. Do I need some sort of aftermarket adapter to get it to work? The Pioneer website showed that it's fully compatible with my i30. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks so much!

Also, he claimed that by using an aftermarket head unit the stock antenna will not work anymore, is there a good FM radio antenna that has a good reception that I can install to the back of my head unit?
  • Hyundai i30 2009 FD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
You might have to get a local stereo shop to order the harnesses and patch lead for the specific Pioneer unit you have :link: Hyundai i30 2007-2012 FD | Aerpro

If you add your head unit model number into the "Fit your head unit" space you should get exactly whats required hopefully :Good_luck:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
You might have to get a local stereo shop to order the harnesses and patch lead for the specific Pioneer unit you have :link: Hyundai i30 2007-2012 FD | Aerpro

If you add your head unit model number into the "Fit your head unit" space you should get exactly whats required hopefully :Good_luck:
  The issue with the antenna is most likely because the connector type on the factory is not the same as the pioneer. I don't know what standard for the OEM is but there may be an adaptor to convert it.

That's wha I'm thinking and craig's pointed out there's likely kits to interface the steering controls
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Example

you need to work out what type is on the pioneer but the square coonector on this looks correct for my OEM unit in the FD

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Once you add the stereo model number into the Aerpro site all required parts will be displayed, including the antenna lead - steering wheel harness adaptor with radio brand patch lead.

Aerpro are the main supplier for these items world wide :goodjob2:

Offline logicweapon

• 2nd Gear

• sg Singapore
      Singapore
@CraigB, @tw2005 Thank you so much both of you for your help, I really appreciate the detailed post. I've got the necessary parts needed on my shortlist and I can't wait to have it completed! I fully understand what I've to do now. I'm so glad to be an owner of an i30 and also signing up to be a member of this forum  :yahoo: :drinks:
  • Hyundai i30 2009 FD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
You're very welcome :hatoff: fingers crossed it works as expected once the missing bits are installed :fingers:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@CraigB, @tw2005 Thank you so much both of you for your help, I really appreciate the detailed post. I've got the necessary parts needed on my shortlist and I can't wait to have it completed! I fully understand what I've to do now. I'm so glad to be an owner of an i30 and also signing up to be a member of this forum  :yahoo: :drinks:

:happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline logicweapon

• 2nd Gear

• sg Singapore
      Singapore
UPDATE: I went to the workshop and I got myself the APP9PIO8 Patch Lead which was redundant as in the picture shown here Connectors he spliced the brown ISO connector and had it connected directly to my Pioneer Z5050BT using the one Pioneer has provided so getting power was not an issue.

The only two connections that remain untouched is the AUX/USB connector and the ISO connector. The question now is which one of the two connectors provide steering wheel controls?

According to Aepro Hyundai i30 Steering Wheel Control I should be getting the CHKI9Cin order for steering wheel control, but the CTSHY004.2 seems like it would be a better fit.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks so much!
  • Hyundai i30 2009 FD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
According to Aepro Hyundai i30 Steering Wheel Control I should be getting the CHKI9Cin order for steering wheel control, but the CTSHY004.2 seems like it would be a better fit.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks so much!
Both of those are the same, I'd probably order the Aerpro but it really shouldn't matter.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal