i30 Owners Club

2011 i30 FD Head Unit Upgrade

Offline Masamoto15

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Australia
Hi guys,

I am new here so apologies for starting a new post straight away. However, I have looked through a lot of posts on this site to try and find information on a couple of specific points regarding upgrading the head unit. Sorry if any of this has already been covered in another post but I likely couldn't find it. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

So I have recently just purchased a Pioneer DMH-Z5150BT double din unit. My car currently has the FD-01 OEM unit installed in the car. I have bought the new facia plate for the car and the wiring looms from Aerpro so I know those should all go together and work well.

This will be the first upgrade/modification I have done to the car since I bought it and I don't really know what I am doing. The things I am not sure of are listed:

Easy Questions:

- With the head unit, it has a cable that needs to attach to the handbrake. How do you connect this cable and is it necessary / what is it for?
- With the head unit, it has a cable that needs to attach to the reverse gear input. I know this one is for a reversing camera but I don't have one so is it necessary?
- The new facia is an Aerpro FP7310. How exactly does the factory plastic need to be cut to install this and how do I install it?
- To get the factory unit out do you have to remove the front piece in front of it? How do you do this without damaging the interior at all?

Harder Questions:

- I want to try and keep the USB and AUX inputs for the unit in the centre console where they are initially. I know that that the wiring is done in a way so that it can't be switched over that easily. I saw this video:
that says that I can keep the USB and AUX inputs in the same location by doing that modification they show. I'm willing to do this but I'm not sure how to remove the centre armrest/console and the surrounds to get to it. Does anyone have experience in the FD removing those pieces that could show photos or even link a video? I am just worried about all the clips and such that are there that could break.
- What else can go wrong installing the unit? Are there any other things I have overlooked or not considered?
- For the AUX port switch over from the OEM one I want to use a cable similar to this like in the video: aux Cable from ebay however I was told by an audio installer it would have to be minimum 150cm to reach. Does anyone know of a cable with the outer lip that's 1.5m long?
- Also how do you go about routing the microphone properly in the car? Is it easier to the steering wheel or through the pillar and top of window?

Thanks for your help, sorry if I asked questions that have already been answered. I either couldn't find any information or wanted more clarification and detail. Thanks again!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 10:28:02 by Masamoto15 »
  • 2011 FD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt, Manual, Red

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome:

Not really my area of expertise but must say a nice comprehensive question for your first post. We get some vague ones at times.  :crazy1:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline gsteinert

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK
Theres a fantastic post in the Electronic Modifications section talking through removing the fascia on the FD.

Look in the stickies at the top of the page.

• 2007 FD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.4l, Manual, Black

Offline Masamoto15

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Australia
An update on my questions from before. I now have all of the parts required to do the switchover and will attempt it shortly. My only other pressing question now would be how do you get to the screw under the handbrake or gearstick for the centre console / armrest area. I managed to get all of the other screws out on the piece but it just rocked like a see-saw. Thanks
  • 2011 FD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt, Manual, Red

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal