i30 Owners Club

New Dash Cam

AlanHo · 39 · 9153

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
That could possibly work Alan. Thanks for the measurements I will have a look tomorrow in the daylight.  :goodjob2: Does the lens part tilt down to a horizontal ?
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
@Craig

The new SD card is certainly marginally better than the SanDisk one.

Regarding the pixilation - when I play the file directly from my computer - it is hardly visible. Something is being introduced when the file is uploaded to One Drive.

I am now happy with the camera's performance - especially the picture definition right to the edge of the frame - as you will see in this screen grab

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
To test if I could fit a wedge type camera to the rear trim of my i30 hatch I tried my Street Guardian camera that I had at the front ( very similar to Alan's new one ). It would work except the lens has the up and down adjustment and it needed to go down slightly more than the adjustment allowed ( I feel it would show too much sky as is ).  It would be ok if you could be bothered to fit some wedge type base on the trim first and and then attach the camera base to allow the camera to tilt down slightly. My conclusion is it would be ok if you could be bothered to do that, if not fit it to the glass. I think I would do the latter.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@Craig

The new SD card is certainly marginally better than the SanDisk one.

Regarding the pixilation - when I play the file directly from my computer - it is hardly visible. Something is being introduced when the file is uploaded to One Drive.

I am now happy with the camera's performance - especially the picture definition right to the edge of the frame - as you will see in this screen grab

That looks nice and clear, it's amazing how a different card can affect the quality so much but glad it's fixed now and you're happy with it :goodjob:

The Craig you linked in the mention is a different Craig :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 09:48:00 by CraigB »

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
 :whsaid:  Looks good much clearer,I would be happy with that. :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
These are the limits of lens movement

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Thanks Alan, camera is very similar to what I have. where the lens is pointing down it needs to go slightly past the centre point the other way to fit on the trim otherwise it will show too much sky. :undecided: The camera on the trim would be virtually horizontal with the lens pointing slightly up. With the GPS mount it would hang down low enough,  the lens angle is the problem. Thank you for the diagrams , I really appreciate your help. :goodjob2: The trim on your Kia looks like it is  more vertical than the i30  which would be ideal, that being the case I will have to trade in the i30 and buy a Kia  :snigger:
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 13:02:58 by John B »
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
Before ordering a replacement I did some research to discover what other models might suit. My original very first DOD dash cam had a 140 degree lens but the later DOD cameras I bought have 160 degree lenses which I consider are too wide angled. It gives you less chance of reading number plates. Hence I was looking for a camera with a 140 degree lens again - but they are as rare as hens teeth.

Hi Al,

I just bought a Transcend DP220 which has 130 degree lens, and even that feels quite wide. I placed it behind the mirror as up as possible to minimize blocking my view, but the engine hood and part of dashboard are still seen at bottom.

I wasn't looking for a top quality model, but wanted to have Full HD and GPS data (including speed) printed on the footage. The image is reasonably sharp but was heavily underexposured in todays semi-cloudy weather. Now I'll try +1.0 exposure correction, hoping it then ain't too much for a sunny day.

(link) Transcend DrivePro 220

« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 18:27:41 by tohis »
  • 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That looks pretty good!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal