i30 Owners Club

Any feedback yet on Wireless charging pad in PD i30?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I got  a cheap charging cover for my LG G4 off Ebay and tried it out today.  :undecided:

I think it might be my phone (which has already had one charging related fix under warranty), but..

Although the car acknowledged there was an item on the charging pad, my phone got quite warm (apparently this is normal)  and started to discharge! After 15 minutes it had gone from 90% to 75%!

It could be my phone or the cheap adapter, but what are other people's experiences with the wireless charging pad in the new i30.

On a positive note, when I turned off the ignition I got a message on the 4.2" readout between the Tacho and the Speedometer saying there is an appliance on the wireless charging pad or something to that effect, so you don't leave your phone behind. Clever thinking!  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
The guys on the KIA forum seem to be happy with their charging pad. My car doesn't have one.

No-one has reported any problems with charging.(but see below). However, I guess they all have high end phones rather than the Ebay charging adapters.

The only problem they report is that on the Niro the binnacle width is too narrow for some of the large Samsung phones to fit across the charging pad.

I guess the car was designed before the current fad of jumbo phones took hold..

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Alan, My phone is fairly big (5.5" screen) It fits pretty easily.

I can switch my Phone in February 2018 I might try for one with built in wireless charging (I like the concept) :goodjob:

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
When we were @ the launch, the H techs were discussing wireless charging & suggested the best option for mobiles without it was a $15? eBay plug in charge pad. Didn't mention any side effects though.

I've got a new Samy G8 that has the wireless built in (but don't have a new PD to test it  :()
Also has the new QC & can do a full charge in 90 mins.
Also found that the standard USB port in cars, doesn't have enough grunt to reliably charge devices. Really need an after market cig lighter outlet charger.
 :question: Maybe I could hook up a wireless charge pad to the outlet charger & do it that way in the car

But then I wouldn't have a reminder to grab phone when leaving car so likely to forget to grab it  :wacko:
  • i30 GD Premium Petrol Auto 2012 ~ Clean Blue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

When we were @ the launch, the H techs were discussing wireless charging & suggested the best option for mobiles without it was a $15? eBay plug in charge pad. Didn't mention any side effects though.

I've got a new Samy G8 that has the wireless built in (but don't have a new PD to test it  :()
Also has the new QC & can do a full charge in 90 mins.
Also found that the standard USB port in cars, doesn't have enough grunt to reliably charge devices. Really need an after market cig lighter outlet charger.
 :question: Maybe I could hook up a wireless charge pad to the outlet charger & do it that way in the car

But then I wouldn't have a reminder to grab phone when leaving car so likely to forget to grab it  :wacko:
Thanks Neville. That sounds like an option for you. I imagine there is such a thing on Ebay.

I topped my phone back up using a  plug in usb adapter and that worked fine. Seems if my G4 gets warm when charging it plays up with the battery.

Offline prise

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Wireless charger in my i30 runs hot and Samsung S8 phone will overheat and stop charging on longer trips if access panel is closed. My desk wireless charger does not generate the same amount of heat.
  • i30 SR Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Wireless charger in my i30 runs hot and Samsung S8 phone will overheat and stop charging on longer trips if access panel is closed. My desk wireless charger does not generate the same amount of heat.
:welcome:

Thanks for the feedback. I'm guessing you have the usb plugged in as well for the android auto, giving the S8 a double dose of power? 

Since I started this thread I have swapped to an S8 also. It charges quickly as you would expect with usb and wireless pad. I haven't compared the charging speed on the pad only with usb and pad combined.

Mine gets warm, but not hot, but I don't close the lid and tend to run the aircon on warmish days.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal