i30 Owners Club

Using adaptive cruise control with a dct in traffic

Offline Tristan60d

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South East QLD
Title is fairly self-explanatory... would using adaptive cruise control be bad for the dct in slow traffic? Or is it built with safety tech to stop the clutch from not engaging/ overheating?

I was under the impression it would be bad however just read a review stating how easy it is to drive in traffic due to the adaptive cruise control.
  • i30 SR PD2 Premium Auto

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I have driven my KIA NIRO hybrid, which has the same drive platform as the Hyundai Ioniq, for 16 months and 13000 miles. The transmission has performed faultlessly and in combination with the electric motor is as smooth as any conventional Torque converter Auto I have ever driven.

One of the best features of the car is the adaptive cruise which comes into its own on a busy A road or motorway. In heavy stop go traffic I leave it off after it switches off when I have braked - until such time as the traffic is flowing more smoothly.

I very much doubt that the DCT is suffering any extra wear - but with the 7 year KIA - warranty it is something I never worry about.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 18:40:49 by AlanHo »
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I don't think it is an issue. I use Autonomous cruise as much as I can. If I'm following a nice steady driver who keeps to speed limits and speeds up slows down smoothly I can travel right accross town or almost from one town to the next without touching the brake or accelerator!  I do have my foot positioned so that I can hit the brake if anything unexpected happens.  :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
You have to do something (button press or loud pedal) to get the car moving again once it comes to full stop, so you can make a judgement call when is prudent to move off. The issue with DCT boxes is the transition period, aka clutch slip. Same as a manual, because DCTs are really automated manual transmissions. So, if you think you would need to slip the clutch in a manual, the DCT would likely need to do the same. In those cases don't move off yet. The general idea is to not crawl like most people tend to do coming up to the light and use your auto hold. I found myself while driving the FD manual in stop-start traffic to work out how to release the clutch quick and crawl on idle in first gear. Think of it like that with the DCT and you should be ok. The DCT will handle clutch slip and the related temperature increase but is not recommended to do this for long or on a regular bases. Like manual clutches, it will wear out.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal