XPower Kit

CraigB · 75 · 24155

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Excellent
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline jesam

• 2nd Gear

• cy Cyprus
      kyrenia

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I've been retesting both of the air intake kits I've used previously since I now have the X kit installed and I don't think they make much difference any more, there is a very slight ( barely noticeable ) increase in the bottom end power but also a vague non responsive feeling including a fuel usage increase, top end there are more noticeable improvements but how often am I planting my foot when doing over a 100kph "never" :)

The X kit on it's own makes much more of a difference than anything else I've tried so far with an increase in power - torque and smoothness while retaining excellent economy, one additional change I did do though was to remove the baffle from inside the top/lid of the air filter box as it closes of the intake path by a few millimetres.

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
Craig good work  :goodjob: have you tried a high flow panel filter as lt looks like you've gone are far as you can go now you've done the baffle mod, lot of the guys over here remove the baffles and fit a high flow panel filter. I did find a few video's of some guys testing filter's on you tube not sure if they were from Aus but it made it was interesting on their findings  I'll try and look for it
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Craig good work  :goodjob: have you tried a high flow panel filter as lt looks like you've gone are far as you can go now you've done the baffle mod, lot of the guys over here remove the baffles and fit a high flow panel filter. I did find a few video's of some guys testing filter's on you tube not sure if they were from Aus but it made it was interesting on their findings  I'll try and look for it
No I haven't tested the panel filter in this car as of yet, that'll be on the list soon...I can get the K&N filter for about $40 through a friend.

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
One is for turbo's but still it was interesting, maybe you guys down under as already seen them

:link: Cold Air Intakes Mythbusted [Turbo] - YouTube

:link: Mighty Car Mods - POD Filters Mythbusted - YouTube

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Any pilot will confirm that cold air does affect engine performance.  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yes I've seen all those before, a lot depends on the volume of air that the car can actually use...I had CAI + pod filter on my 2003 Mitsubishi Mirage as I had the imported twin cam head installed with extractors and a lancer rally intake manifold and Greedy Air Manager cpu system which could then benefit from the extra flow given from a CAI, if the i30's manifold was better then this might be possible but it's not something I'm willing to do yet while the car is still under warranty :)

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
Any pilot will confirm that cold air does affect engine performance.  :exclaim:

It does Phil to a certain degree, especially when you've got a FMIC fitted, the denser [ie colder the air more oxygen ] the more efficient the fuel will burn . No oxygen no burn..also like Craig as stated the more air you can ram into the cylinders, some folk have water sprayers on their IC's to help to cool the intake.

­Nitrous oxide has another effect that improves performance even more. When it vaporizes, nitrous oxide provides a significant cooling effect on the intake air. When you reduce the intake air temperature, you increase the air's density, and this provides even more oxygen inside the cylinder

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'm back to using the original kit I purchased now but using the second filter I tried and this one is proving much better, the smaller pipe as opposed to the larger pipe doesn't give the dead air/lagging feeling and I've noticed the fuel usage over the last few days has been dropping with power and torque improvements across the board.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 10:39:43 by CraigB »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That is great Craig! Be interesting to see a before and after all your mods 0-60kph comparison!  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Thanks Dazz, it'll be difficult to do a before as the X kit wont be getting removed but I should be able to sort out an after at some stage, I think the are some online reviews somewhere that may give me the standard 0-60 times which I could compare with :undecided:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

No worries Craig, I fully understand.  :goodjob:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I found some UK time specs which is 0-60mph ( 96.5kph ) 9.9 seconds for my model :link: Hyundai i30 Coupe 1.6 GDI 2012 ? Manual ? 135HP - 0-60 Seconds Times , now I just need to find somewhere quiet to test my own time, maybe a stop start on the freeway tomorrow :D

You can also check the standard times of all the Hyundai models there :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I found some UK time specs which is 0-60mph ( 96.5kph ) 9.9 seconds for my model :link: Hyundai i30 Coupe 1.6 GDI 2012 ? Manual ? 135HP - 0-60 Seconds Times , now I just need to find somewhere quiet to test my own time, maybe a stop start on the freeway tomorrow :D

You can also check the standard times of all the Hyundai models there :)

Thanks Craig. Gee, 10 seconds isn't bad for stock (probably more for the Tourer -  edit : 10.2 )

Any thing under 9 would be a pleasing result!

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Fat chance, 9.3 was the best I could do over three attempts ( with a passenger ), that's quite respectable though considering it's only small intake flow improvements that have been done.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Fat chance, 9.3 was the best I could do over three attempts, that's quite respectable though considering it's only small intake flow improvements that have been done.

:goodjob:

How about economy? Better or worse do you reckon?  :undecided:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Slightly better I'd say, hard to measure with such small improvements but I'm currently sitting on 6.2ltrs per 100kms at the end of this tank and normally I'm on 6.5...hasn't gotten worse so that's the main thing :)

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
Any improvement is better than none, at least you know your heading in the right direction.  :goodjob:  There's nothing worse than spending time and money and not getting anywhere.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

You've ended up with a great little car Craig  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Reasonable performance, great looks and excellent economy!  :happydance:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Thanks Dazz :) I've done as much as I can with the pod side of things, now to start testing a K&N panel filter as that would be the avenue most people would prefer to stick with.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Installed the K&N panel filter today, cant say there has been a noticeable improvement like what can be felt with the ram kit but I will check over the next tank of fuel to see how mileage fares.

The instantaneous response is definitely not there as that is due to the restrictions of all the pipe work before the filter box.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My Brother is a big fan of K & N Filters. He's just put one in his Prius!  :cool:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
My Brother is a big fan of K & N Filters. He's just put one in his Prius!  :cool:
Yeah their filters are great, all the different pods I've used are either SAAS or K&N...it's all the crap before and around the filter that is rubbish.

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
 :whsaid:  :agreed:
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
It's been over two years since installing the XPower 3mm spacer kit and it's been working well but as time passes and further products made and tests are performed the products get improved so it's time to test something new on the market for the Hyundai 1.6ltr engines, an 8mm Phenolic intake manifold spacer.

Phenolic intake spacers for the Genesis have seen good results in the USA over the last year and now the Koreans have made them available for the 1.6ltr engines so I thought I'd install one and put it through the trials :) Phenolic material prevents heat transfer into the manifold so it helps minimally in lower intake temps though the spacing width is what is really critical to get the correct acoustic air charging balance.

I've only done 80km's with it installed and so far power/torque is up slightly compared to the small gains I'd found with the 3mm spacer, sometimes too large a spacer on the intake runner can make the gains to high in the rpm range (better for racing) but the 8mm spacer seems to be well balanced through the whole rpm at this stage.

My usual fuel avg is 6.2lph so I'll know by the end of this fresh tank what the average will settle at, I'm always driving the same locations so tests will replicate easily enough though it takes a couple of hundred k's for the ECU to assimilate and the full changes to show, it's currently at 5.6lph after 80km's so looking good so far.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 08:46:21 by CraigB »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:goodjob:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Nearly finished this tank of fuel-spacer test, another 50km's is about whats left in her.

Usage at this point is 5.8lph and 798km's for 50/50 suburbia and hwy, normally I'm on 6.2lph and getting a maximum of 730-750km's out of a tank.

I also attached my 60mm throttle body for this test which normally has me using an extra 1/2lph so to get an extra 100 or so km's in this test over what I'd get with the 57mm throttle body I think is quite amazing :happydance:

« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 09:13:56 by CraigB »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good to hear,  Craig.  ✌

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Interesting to see how the next couple of tanks go 👍
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal