i30 Owners Club

i30 PD active LED headlights

nogun · 275 · 56120

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
Yeah Craig. Any of that type of aftermarket dust cover would more than likely work.

But in saying that. That area of the back of the lights is pretty well sealed away.

As most new cars there days, there is not a great deal of room between the back of the light fitting & the car.
I needed to do my wifes 2015 Kia Cerato headlights a cpl of weeks ago. The passenger side I could only just fit my hand in.
  • PD i30 SR Manual Phoenix Orange

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yeah Craig. Any of that type of aftermarket dust cover would more than likely work.

But in saying that. That area of the back of the lights is pretty well sealed away.

As most new cars there days, there is not a great deal of room between the back of the light fitting & the car.
I needed to do my wifes 2015 Kia Cerato headlights a cpl of weeks ago. The passenger side I could only just fit my hand in.
Bugger, it's the passenger side for me as well that has limited space with the fuse box in the way :disapp:

guest12451
Stumbled across thispretty interesting auto LED site - it's a bit rough in that the author is clearly non-english speaker but the info is good and cover a few interesting areas e.g Which LEDs work in projector lens headlights

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Just thought i would give a quick update on the cherry tuning LEDS headlights. Not too bad so far, have all bulbs changed over, and whiter light compared to halogen bulbs. Mine are most probably a cheap chinese variant, but they work, covers go on. Longest drive i have done in dark is 1.5 hours with no issues. They are a different fit compared to Purplehazeffc as shown below

• 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Scott, They look like a better adaptor clip than what's available for the GD's.

Any pictures of them fitted :)

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth

Any pictures of them fitted
I will try to post some pictures tomorrow Craig in daylight, teeny bit scared out in garage with redback spider clan lurking in the dark :Shocked: :crazy2: :scared:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

I will try to post some pictures tomorrow Craig in daylight, teeny bit scared out in garage with redback spider clan lurking in the dark :Shocked: :crazy2: :scared:

I'm a bit like that with the huntsman and other spiders in my Mower shed..  :rofl:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
Just thought i would give a quick update on the cherry tuning LEDS headlights. Not too bad so far, have all bulbs changed over, and whiter light compared to halogen bulbs. Mine are most probably a cheap chinese variant, but they work, covers go on. Longest drive i have done in dark is 1.5 hours with no issues. They are a different fit compared to Purplehazeffc as shown below

Now they are different to what I have..    Photo's is possible of whit the rear of the bulb looks like??
Like what type of heatsink design it has.
But once you fit the LED's & the whiter light. It's would be pretty hard to go back to halogens..

I do have these ordered from eBay.   Rather than being 2 sided. They are 4 sided..  :link: H7 CREE LED Car Headlight Hi or Low Beam Conversion Kit Bulbs 6500K 800W 80000LM | eBay

So should in theory give a better & brighter type of light.  I don't use my high beams a great deal.
But will get some LED's for them as well'

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
800W and 80000Lm :D might want my sunnies on for them :cool: :snigger:

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
800W and 80000Lm :D might want my sunnies on for them :cool: :snigger:

:Shocked:  yep.. Watch out you'll see me coming up behind miles away  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW

Offline galixia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland

Offline quankino

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Now they are different to what I have..    Photo's is possible of whit the rear of the bulb looks like??
But once you fit the LED's & the whiter light. It's would be pretty hard to go back to halogens..

I do have these ordered from eBay.   Rather than being 2 sided. They are 4 sided..  :link: H7 CREE LED Car Headlight Hi or Low Beam Conversion Kit Bulbs 6500K 800W 80000LM | eBay

So should in theory give a better & brighter type of light.  I don't use my high beams a great deal.

From what I've been watching thru several Youtube channels, the multiangle or 360* LED bulbs seem to be ineffective because you lose the central point inside the projector housing. Meanwhile with halogen bulbs, you have that and it leads to a better lighting out pattern.
  • 2011 Hyundai i30 FD Trophy Auto

Dantrasy

From what I've been watching thru several Youtube channels, the multiangle or 360* LED bulbs seem to be ineffective because you lose the central point inside the projector housing. Meanwhile with halogen bulbs, you have that and it leads to a better lighting out pattern.

The JW Speaker Evolution 4000 are two sided at a right angle. Designed especially for protectors their ad says. So I don't know. You Tube wisdom says firing in opposite directions is better.

Regarding my purchase of JW Direct Fit, if the bulb is all one piece I might be able to mod the adapter to slip it round. One cut and twist might do it.

Offline quankino

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
The JW Speaker Evolution 4000 are two sided at a right angle. Designed especially for protectors their ad says. So I don't know. You Tube wisdom says firing in opposite directions is better.

Regarding my purchase of JW Direct Fit, if the bulb is all one piece I might be able to mod the adapter to slip it round. One cut and twist might do it.

Have you received it yet? I'm still waiting for your outcome  :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
  • 2011 Hyundai i30 FD Trophy Auto

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Aldi has these :
:link: 7" Osram Chip Driving Lights and 22" Osram Chip Bar Light Set - ALDI Australia

would love to see one of these complete kits fitted on the front of a I30 lol
If there's a will,  there's a way  :lol:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth

In daylight

« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 04:53:12 by Crustycottage »

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Thanks for the photos Scott :)

They’re a neat fit for sure :goodjob:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Curious,  probably mentioned somewhere,
If these beasties have fans on the rear,
how does it circulate fresh/cool air in a sealed unit?  :undecided:

Dantrasy

Have you received it yet? I'm still waiting for your outcome  :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Not yet. Probably next week.

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
how does it circulate fresh/cool air in a sealed unit? 
Good question Mick, of which I cannot answer. Flux capacitor?? Also bear in mind the canbus/ballast resistor inside which warms up nicely too. Seems to work though  :whistler:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
how does it circulate fresh/cool air in a sealed unit? 
Good question Mick, of which I cannot answer. Flux capacitor?? Also bear in mind the canbus/ballast resistor inside which warms up nicely too. Seems to work though  :whistler:
Flux capacitor    :rofl: :rofl: :goodjob:
Just thinking that halogen get f-ing hot , have no fan.
Led brighter, same voltage,  less current used so ballast resistor  increases load to trick faulty globe detection,  does heat  then equal or exceed original values?
Given light is a by-product, do led produce more or same heat but draw less current due to its material  composition?   

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Led brighter, same voltage,  less current used so ballast resistor  increases load to trick faulty globe detection,  does heat  then equal or exceed original values?
Given light is a by-product, do led produce more or same heat but draw less current due to its material  composition?
Mick, some info here :link: How hot are LED light bulbs? ? LIFX.com explains some of the differences between halogen vs LED temperatures, not specifically on auto but covers general differences.

Auto differences referred to in this link :link: How hot do LED headlight bulbs get? - Better Automotive Lighting

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Mick, some info here :link: How hot are LED light bulbs? ? LIFX.com explains some of the differences between halogen vs LED temperatures, not specifically on auto but covers general differences.

Auto differences referred to in this link :link: How hot do LED headlight bulbs get? - Better Automotive Lighting
@CraigB
Thanks mate, 
Sometimes my brain is like a dog with a bone,
Other days it's  like ,
Its like the bone after the dog ate it  , CRAP ! 

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Dantrasy
In the event the JW Direct Fit H7 don't work out, I've been trying to research the JW Evolution 4000 H7 for projectors.

:link: LED Headlight Conversion Kit ? Model Evolution 4000 ? Projector Range ? Invision Sales

The spec sheet is useless. No dimensions, no way of knowing if the heat sink screws off.  I'm not sure what the box thing is either. The description suggests it's NOT a canbus module.

Not sure about the V shape. Why is it like that?

I'll send off a few emails. I'll report back here. 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 09:54:39 by Dantrasy »

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@Dantrasy I believe the locking ring and base are removable on the 4000 series, the box thing is part of the CANbus harness and the V shape is their new design especially for projector lens/beams.

I'm not sure on the sizes either at this stage, still looking.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 07:40:50 by CraigB »

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
These aren't the projectors but they're still H7 4000 series so sizing would be the same I reckon.

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland
I got the JW direct fit h7’s on Tuesday and they need an adapter to fit. I have some adapters on the way from stedi. Will update when I get them.
  • 2019 i30 go, manual, white

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal