i30 Owners Club

LED Upgrade nline

jan-syd · 18 · 4113

Offline jan-syd

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Hi there! I was looking to upgrade the leadlights in my 2019 Australian nline and I thought I'll consult this awesome group before doing so.

Based on my research, I should be able to just get H7 LED globes and just plug them into the headlights, no additional fuss. I'd love to confirm the following:

* It's H7 for both high and low beams (I was only able to find confirmation that it's H7 for the low beams), so a set like this would work: LINK

* I am not mistaken in that I can indeed just plug and play.

Thanks in advance for any help!
  • 2019 i30 nline

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Bulb types are all listed in your vehicles manual, though I believe the low beams are H7 and the high beams are HB3.

Those Osram bulbs linked mention nothing about whether they are canbus compatible :undecided: something like the JW Speaker Direct fit bulbs I would think more suitable :link: H7 JW Speaker LED 6000K DIRECT FIT LED GLOBE - BUILT IN CANBUS pair 12-24V | eBay

What needs to be checked is how the H7 low beam bulbs in your vehicle are secured, if they lock in place with the power plug you'll require an adaptor to make them fit, if they're spring clip secured then easy peasy :)

Also check that you'll have enough room behind the headlight cap/seal for the extended base on the LED bulb to fit with a reasonable amount of clearance

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Jan-Syd,

Thanks Craig yes you are correct about the HB3. There are a few discussions on here about the LED upgrade for PDs.. I'm pretty sure this thread morphed into a discussion about that, but I'm sure there would be others if you browse or search.. :link: LED Number Plate and Interior Lights
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Here's another thread which may be helpful to you. I could have edited my last post but was worried you might miss the added link if I did that.. @jan-syd

:link: PD high beam(HB3's) upgrade query

Offline jan-syd

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Dazzler, thanks so much, will go through these threads!
  • 2019 i30 nline

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Dazzler, thanks so much, will go through these threads!

No worries we love to help where we can.

Offline jan-syd

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
What needs to be checked is how the H7 low beam bulbs in your vehicle are secured, if they lock in place with the power plug you'll require an adaptor to make them fit, if they're spring clip secured then easy peasy

Thanks for the reply. How would I check this specifically?
  • 2019 i30 nline

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
What needs to be checked is how the H7 low beam bulbs in your vehicle are secured, if they lock in place with the power plug you'll require an adaptor to make them fit, if they're spring clip secured then easy peasy

Thanks for the reply. How would I check this specifically?
Take the cap seal off the back of the headlight housing, simply untwists behind each bulb.

Recent topics all mention the low beam requires an adaptor on PD models as does the GD.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 13:30:54 by CraigB »

Offline jan-syd

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Hi gents, thank you once again for all your input.

I couldnt see any good concrete info on upgrading to LED, so I think I'll compromise by switching to the Phillips Diamond Vision Globes. I'd be grateful if I could ask a couple of questions before I order (planning to order from :link: Car Bulbs | Halogen, HID, LED | Philips & OSRAM | PowerBulbs UK):

1) Just to confirm: 9005HL+(per my manual)=HB3?
2) Per my manual, the stock high beams have wattage of 60. The Phillips Diamond Vision bulbs I see online for HB3 have a wattage of 55. Is this going to be a very noticeable difference or am I good to order these? (I mostly drive in the city so don't really use high beams much anyway)
3) Would you already order replacement bulbs as I've read these upgraded bulbs have a shorter life span?

Really appreciate all your help guys!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 15:01:03 by jan-syd »
  • 2019 i30 nline

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland
Hi gents, thank you once again for all your input.

I couldnt see any good concrete info on upgrading to LED, so I think I'll compromise by switching to the Phillips Diamond Vision Globes. I'd be grateful if I could ask a couple of questions before I order (planning to order from :link: Car Bulbs | Halogen, HID, LED | Philips & OSRAM | PowerBulbs UK):

1) Just to confirm: 9005HL+(per my manual)=HB3?
2) Per my manual, the stock high beams have wattage of 60. The Phillips Diamond Vision bulbs I see online for HB3 have a wattage of 55. Is this going to be a very noticeable difference or am I good to order these? (I mostly drive in the city so don't really use high beams much anyway)
3) Would you already order replacement bulbs as I've read these upgraded bulbs have a shorter life span?

Really appreciate all your help guys!

I would advise against diamond vision they are so heavily blue tinted they have 40% less usable light then a standard globe. If you can find some I’d recommend philips crystal vision they put out a decent white light and are still plenty bright.
  • 2019 i30 go, manual, white

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Diamond vision are 60w :link: Philips WhiteVision Headlight Globe - 60W, HB3 | Supercheap Auto

Narva Sapphire are a 5000k white light that are brighter than the Diamond - Crystal and White vision, and they're longer life.

Not sure whether they have them in HB3 yet  :undecided: though they are definitely available in H7 :link: Narva Sapphire Plus 50 Headlight Globe - H7, 12V, 55W | Supercheap Auto

Offline jan-syd

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Thanks, do you have any videos/pictures of these? Would they be similar colour to the diamond vision? I struggle to find much on it that's not their own marketing material.
  • 2019 i30 nline

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
No photos of them sorry, I'm running LED's now.

Both the Diamond Vison and Sapphire are listed as 5000k, though the Narva Sapphire are more closer to this temperature from my own visual inspections, also brighter since they aren't a full blue coated bulb.

Offline galixia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
I run the diamond vision in my PD Active. Was a straight easy swap. There is no blue tinge when you look at them from the front and they are alot brighter than the stock bulbs. I would try the Narva Sapphires next as they seem like a nicer light.

• 2018 I30 Active

Offline jan-syd

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Thanks for all the advice boys, will give the Narva Sapphires a try and will try to remember to chuck some footage here in case others find it helpful.
  • 2019 i30 nline

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for all the advice boys, will give the Narva Sapphires a try and will try to remember to chuck some footage here in case others find it helpful.

No worries and that would be great.  :goodjob2:

Offline jan-syd

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Here is the Narva Sapphire Plus 50. Unfortunately still a bit of yellow tint, but I think the projection-type lights ( is this the right term in English?) are here to blame and don't think much better can be done. Better than stock for sure tho, now looks much nicer without such stark colour contrast between the LED DRL and the headlights.

• 2019 i30 nline

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
You'll never get a halogen bulb to put out as white a light (6000k +) as the LED's, they look fine though and will be much better on the roads at night :goodjob2:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal