i30 Owners Club

I30 GD OEM car audio change

Deadcpu · 10 · 2390

Offline Deadcpu

• 1st Gear

• gr Greece
Hello everybody.
I bought a 2013 GD 1.6 crdi 3 door i30. And it has the original CD audio with the blue LCD screen.
If I buy the original touchscreen from another i30 (GD or PD) is it gonna work and are the steering wheel controls gonna work as well?
Thanks in advance.

• 2013 GD 3door, Diesel 1.6 Manual White

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi there,

@CraigB is our resident expert on this mod. He actually has an almost identical car to yours.

I believe the simplest option for an upgrade is to go from a GD01 head unit like yours which are quite basic and troublesome to the newer more reliable GD03 head unit as per this thread.

:link: HOW TO: UPGRADE YOUR GD-01/GD-02 TO A GD-03 HEAD UNIT STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Deadcpu

• 1st Gear

• gr Greece
Thanks a lot for your information
I read that post before asking but since I'm new in this type of mods I didn't know what gd-01/gd-03 meant so I had to ask for more info  :D

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hi Deadcpu, we don’t get the stereo unit you have here so there may be some differences in sizing :undecided:

Could you please measure the height of the Stereo, if its the same as the Australian GD-03 model ( top to bottom of stereo fascia is 136mm ) then that would be the simplest solution for upgrading, only difficulty is obtaining one.

I’ve recommended Stanvac Autos :link: CONTACT US | Stanvac Korean Auto Parts Adelaide | South Australia to several people in the past and they will post worldwide, once we confirm the size then you could contact Stanvac’s.

Required parts would be the GD-03 head unit + USB/Auxiliary module + interconnecting USB cable, then it’s just following the simple install instructions to fit linked in Dazzlers post.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 04:38:26 by CraigB »

Offline Deadcpu

• 1st Gear

• gr Greece
Thanks a lot for your information.
Maybe that blue lcd screen is the basic head unit for europe only.
I still dont have the car,it's on it's way so i cant measure the exact dimensions.
I found i crashed 2018 i30 though that i might buy the stereo from.
Has anyone managed to fit the PD head unit to a GD car?
Is it supported?
Im asking more about cables rather than the dimensions because im gonna fit it somehow.
If it doesn't work im gonna find a gd-03 to fit.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I cant see it being easy or of benefit trying to fit the PD's above dash tablet style into the GD's in dash setup...what would be the point :crazy1:

Offline Deadcpu

• 1st Gear

• gr Greece
I meant fit it inside not above like the pd version.
The benefit would be much newer hardware and software of the head unit.  :D

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I knew what you meant, I cant see how it would work without re-designing the whole enclosure...the air vents would also have to move I'd expect :undecided:

There are numerous Android systems on the market or even more serious plug and play systems like Kenwood have :link: Kenwood DMX8520DABS for Hyundai i30 2012-2016 GD, GD2 - Car Stereo Upgrade | eBay might be more suitable if wanting more than what an 03 unit can offer.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I knew what you meant, I cant see how it would work without re-designing the whole enclosure...the air vents would also have to move I'd expect :undecided:

There are numerous Android systems on the market or even more serious plug and play systems like Kenwood have :link: Kenwood DMX8520DABS for Hyundai i30 2012-2016 GD, GD2 - Car Stereo Upgrade | eBay might be more suitable if wanting more than what an 03 unit can offer.

:whsaid:

Nice idea, but entirely impractical. Completely the wrong shape to fit in the dash.  :crazy1:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Deadcpu

• 1st Gear

• gr Greece
Hehe Indeed, it might be very difficult and not worth it.
I think I'll go for a 03 unit after I get the dimensions measured.
Thanks a lot guys  :)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal