i30 Owners Club

HOW TO: replace door cable (drivers door will not open from inside)

petetherev · 104 · 95491

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for the update Rev Pete.. We hear too many stories like that!  :fum:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Flyyte

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Cumbria

• 47b Hadrian's Wall, Cumbria, England
    . . . I told him and that I had purchased a replacement cable and fitted it myself and asked for an explanation, which he was unable to give. I asked if I would get an answer he said he did not know.  I will not be holding my breath.
 I told him that I was considering writing to the motoring press and exposing the Rip Off, again I doubt that if will make any difference.
I’ll give it a while and see what happens then make up my mind as to embark on a crusade or not.
Regards
Pete 

Thanks for the update, Pete. By all means wait a couple of weeks and then see what kind of coverage you can get in the UK national Press. Steer clear of motoring magazines; they need all the money they can get from their motor manufacturer advertisers to stay in business.  Avoid any TV contact: the BBC has since the days of Esther Rantzen classed its "consumer programmes" as light entertainment and takes  none of it seriously -- hence the broadcast timing of its patronising concessionary grown-up-girls offering. Most sensible of all commentators is the Daily Telegraph's "Honest John". Hyundai is a mega corporation now so big that it is positively wallowing in corporate bilge:

:link: Philosophy | Corporate Information | Hyundai Worldwide

so a kick up its fat smug ass would seem overdue.  It could give fresh impetus to the debate about manufacturer / dealer practices and the cynical exploitation of the customer base.
  • i30 Estate Premium Diesel 112PS 2010 model

Offline petetherev

• 1st Gear
Hello everybody, I received a very prompt reply from Hyundai Customer Services, which did not address the issue I raised.  They basically said that a car was made up of many parts and they could not store all of them.  I replied that this was a very unsatisfactory reply to a reasonable question and restated it.
This prompted them to obviously look into the matter in more detail as it resulted in a phone call. (On my wife’s mobile, so they must have gone to the dealership that we purchased it from) I was advised that the part WAS available at the dealerships and is on sale to the public. I asked them to restate this fact, which they did. They also confirmed that a Technical Service Bulletin had been raised and that the part would have been replace.  Free of charge under warranty labour cost outside of warranty.
When I questioned why two local dealerships had clearly stated that the part was not listed as a separate item I was told that they act as franchises, brick wall I think.  They knew that I had purchased the part and from whom, I had not told anyone where I got it to avoid getting anyone into trouble.
I think I have gone as far as I can at present but if anyone needs this part its number is 81371 and the description is ‘Cable Assy-FR DR I/S HHL’ (Cable Assembly front door in side Handle)
As I said earlier if you have the skills to remove the whole mechanism you should be able to replace the cable.
Best of luck
Regards
Pete
  • 2009 i30 1.4 Petrol, 5 Door Hatch, Red

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Thanks for the update.

As warranty out of warranty i see no mention of refund
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline petetherev

• 1st Gear
I'm not worried about the £8 odd although in hindsight I should have pushed it out of principle.  I'm lucky that I can do things like this.  I just hope Hyundai take this up with their dealers and that others will benefit.
Regards
Pete
  • 2009 i30 1.4 Petrol, 5 Door Hatch, Red

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I'm not worried about the £8 odd although in hindsight I should have pushed it out of principle.  I'm lucky that I can do things like this.  I just hope Hyundai take this up with their dealers and that others will benefit.
Regards
Pete
Plus labour......

How long did it take you...at say £80 per hour,,,,

Offline vinesy10

• 1st Gear

• scotland Scotland
Hi Pete
Just  getting into the site as first time using, Just wanted to say a big THANKS as without this post I would never have found the part number . As you say dealers will not give you it they say you need whole latch assembly .
Once I got your part number I phone a friend in a dealers who ordered the part (NOT IN HYUNDAI DEALERS) but could access the parts system and got it sent to his dealers.
Now fitted with a bit of persuading at latch side but VERY HAPPY .  :)  :)

Cheers again
vinesy10
  • hyundai i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good on you vinesy and  :welcome:

Offline Badger67

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Somerset
I've just replaced this cable with a new one from the dealer priced at £8.65.

Not an easy job but all done now, and I've typed up the full instructions with pictures on a word document.

I'm a newbie and don't know my way around this site yet, no idea if I can post the document on here, but contact me if you want me to email it.

• Hyundai i30 1.6 comfort CRDi

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Great and thanks Badger 67,

Cut and paste words and for pictures use a hosting site, see welcome section for details..

You can post pictures and then put words by individual picture  as you go through the process.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Not an easy job but all done now, and I've typed up the full instructions with pictures on a word document.

I'm a newbie and don't know my way around this site yet, no idea if I can post the document on here, but contact me if you want me to email it.

:welcumwagon: That sounds great

Offline NH62

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Southampton

Another newbie here, found the site last week and just want to give a particular big thumbs-up to petetherev for all the info I've had from him via this thread and email. Many good points raised on here by all posters and Badger67, you've had more luck than me!

We had the driver's door release cable replaced under warranty a few years back and now (a year out of warranty!) the passenger side has gone the same way. Unfortunately this went a couple of days before an MOT and as my wife relies on the car for work, I put in in the local independent garage thinking it would be a relatively simple and not too expensive job to get it through the MOT. The garage owner tried but couldn't get the cable alone so I looked into it and this thread was a good start. But despite contacting the local Hyundai dealership and also Hyundai Customer Services they were adamant that the entire locking mechanism could only be supplied at a cost of £199.05 Exc. VAT...plus fitting (at, no doubt, £80ish an hour!) - so, well in excess of £300 for what looks little more than a flimsy bicycle brake cable.

When contacting Hyundai I've raised the safety implications of not being able to open the door from the inside in the event of an accident, if it's just wear and tear then that's very unfortunate but this appears to be a known and common fault. I'm now expecting the driver's door cable to go again anytime soon - with hopefully more time on my hands next time I'll try harder to hold of the cable and do it myself. Expensive lesson learned and sour taste left by Hyundai.

Thanks again for all the information and I'll take Badger67 up on his offer of an email for future reference.
  • Hyundai i30

Offline NH62

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Southampton

Offline Normski

• 1st Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Fife
Hi, I have just joined this site after I paid £150 to have the driver's door cable replaced on my 11 plate 1.6 auto. It happened two months out of warranty. I called Hy UK Customer Services who told me that my vehicle is not subject to the Service Campaign due to the VIN number. That was the response I got when I asked why two dealers had not replaced the cable for this known fault at the last two services. The problem I have got is that I don't have the "what cars are affected" list. So it feels like "The computer says NO" to me. From what I read on here there are vehicles of an older and younger vintage that have been repaired FOC. Can anyone give me more info on the TSB for this  please?
  • I30 Comfort Auto

Offline spenceralan

• 1st Gear

• england England
      Sunderland
Hi Badger67 , I,ve tried to change the cable but unable to unhook cable from inside lock mechanism how did you do it, Please email your pdf .Cheers spenceralan
  • hyundai i30 active 1.4 petrol

Offline Mick-M

• 1st Gear

• scotland Scotland
Hi,
I found you article very informative and helpful.

I have a i30 that is now 6 years old and now out of warranty.  Just last week the front passenger would not open from the inside and I discovered the door lock release cable had broken.   

I have already had the drivers door lock release cable replaced a few years ago under warranty (garage were very quick to sort out the problem).   This time when I rang the Hyundai dealer, spoke with the service department, I was told the cable was not shown as a separate item for the car and I would need to replace the whole door lock assembly, cost £199 + VAT + labour.  The parts were going to cost almost £240 + Labour charges!

I looked on 'google' and found someone selling the cables on Ebay for £14.69 (over 70 sold!) then looked at this site and read your article.   I rang the Hyundai dealer again, spoke with the 'parts' department and was again offered the complete assembly.  I enquires about a cable, told them I had seen a picture of the cable, part number 813712R000, and was told it was not listed for the i30.  To cut a long story short I had them order the cable for me, cost £11.37 incl. VAT.  It was ready for collection the next day and I fitted it today.

Again many thanks for the helpful information.

Mick M.

• Hyundai i30

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Super solution - pleased to see that our helpful forum members score again.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Excellent result  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Brilliant,  thanks for letting us know!

Offline robinson

• 1st Gear
I am having trouble removing the metal inner panel on my 2010 i30 can anybody help?
  • i30

Offline nikki9lives

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      southampton
Hi, I'm a newbie and not used a forum before but just felt it necessary to thank everybody especially Petetherev for the part number.  You have just saved me £230!!!  I have just ordered the cable assembly for £12 direct from Hyundai and would never have been able to obtain it without the part number.  THANK YOU ...
  • i30 estate

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good to hear, thanks for acknowledging our helpful member!

Offline wicorman

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK, Hampshire
 :) I've read the different posts about fitting a replacement door cable, which read all together give the full picture. But, I'm having difficulty figuring out how to attach the ball end inside the locking actuator. There is a description, but no picture: To get at this you need the activate the lock catch with a screw diver, then pull the old cable and this will allow the eye to be pulled out pass the lock case to remove the old cable, MAKE SURE YOU DON'T LET THE EYE CATCH SPRING BACK INSIDE THE CASE. Does anyone have a photo at all?

image upload
  • i30, 2010 FD & 2015 GD, 5 dr, Petrol, 1.4l, Manual, Black

Offline wicorman

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK, Hampshire
 :) Hi - did you ever get a clear answer on how to attach the ball end of the cable in the lock mechanism? Any photos?
  • i30, 2010 FD & 2015 GD, 5 dr, Petrol, 1.4l, Manual, Black

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:) Hi - did you ever get a clear answer on how to attach the ball end of the cable in the lock mechanism? Any photos?

Welcome, Please be patient, this is a worldwide forum so there are major time difference between different members and not everyone comes on daily (or hourly) like I sometimes do.. :cool:

Offline Nonnegativ

• 1st Gear

• dk Denmark
      Tyvelse, 4171
Here is what I did to attach a new cable to the lock mechanism:

Pull old cable so that the lock mecanism is visible

Lock the mechanism with a screwdriver and remove old cable:

Attach new cable - remove screwdriver and put plastic cover in place etc. :

upload pic
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 16:48:17 by Nonnegativ »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Welcome and cheers for that! I did warn them it would take a while (2 months is a while!)  :whistler: :snigger:

Offline Tims

• 1st Gear

• West Wickham
Hi all. Thought I would share my experience for those people who don't have the time or the inclination to do the job themselves. I took my i30 to my local independent garage after the door handle failed. They looked at it and they told me they had to order a new door handle assembly from Hyundai for £257, but if I was able to source the part myself they would fit it for me. So I went onto eBay and got a cable for £9.99 and booked it in. They fitted my cable for about £39 in labour which I thought was very reasonable for the work involved and it was done in the day. Certainly a big saving compared to taking it to a Hyundai dealer
  • I30 hatchback

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
That was smart. It sounds like you now have a relationship worth keeping with them. :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal