i30 Owners Club

Loose front bumper

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
My partner has just mentioned that the front bumper of her 2011 FD has come loose from the wing. I've included a couple of photos. Can anyone advise how the bumper is fastened to the wing? Are there supposed to be screws in there somewhere, or should it just snap into position?

• i30 CRD

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
If I recall correctly there is a recessed screw half way up on the edge of the wheel arch liner.
set steering full left should give you access to it.
Check all the plastic pin clips by lying on your back too as she's likely touch something to do that.

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
There is indeed a screw which secures the rearmost edge of the bumper to the front wing, but unfortunately the bumper plastic area that the screw holds has broken away from the rest of the bumper. There are other clips which hold it so I was able to snap it back into position. It remains to be seen if it will stay there. I don't know if it's feasible to glue the bumper back together. There was a dent in the bottom edge of the bumper so I'm guessing my partner nudged something. This is why they don't get to drive my car!

The wheel arch liner was also ripped in two. I drilled some holes and 'stitched' the edges together with cable ties to stop the bottom edge of the bumper flapping about.

• i30 CRD

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Wheel arch liners tend to turn up a lot on ebay not very expensive.

this stuff is good for glueing bumpers but it sets VERY quickly. prep surfaces with alochol/light sand.

:link: BUMPER & PLASTIC GLUE car bumper repair plastic repair kit with 2 nozzles | eBay

the clips under the arch liner are likely sheered off too - ebay again

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal