i30 Owners Club

Tinting front windscreen on SR Premium

Offline Tristan60d

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South East QLD
Was looking at tinting my new i30 SR this weekend however came across this in the car manual... has anyone tinted the front windscreen?

I Don’t think I will unless i can tint all the screens... if anyone has tinted all windows except for the front could you please post a photo? In my mind it would look weird but would love to be proven wrong!

• i30 SR PD2 Premium Auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Was looking at tinting my new i30 SR this weekend however came across this in the car manual... has anyone tinted the front windscreen?

I Don’t think I will unless i can tint all the screens... if anyone has tinted all windows except for the front could you please post a photo? In my mind it would look weird but would love to be proven wrong!

Hi Tristan, I'm a huge fan of tint. It makes a big difference with the heat you feel through the side windows even here in Tassie. I also like the way it reduces glare from the sun and from headlights through your back window and mirrors at night. THe other benefit is of course the appearance of the car with tinted windows.

I have had at least my last 10 cars tinted (I've had over 30 cars in 40+ years) but have never had my windscreen tinted. In fact I thought it was illegal in most if not all states of Australia??

Here's my car.

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Plenty of photos in the gallery of cars with tinting :)

Not sure why you would think not tinting the front windscreen would look weird :undecided: cars have never been allowed to tint the front window.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 08:55:11 by CraigB »

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
20 % all round on our cars for years.
Some will do front, "cash only & we didn't do it , dont blame us for defect sticker".
Insurance co's will NOT cover you.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Front window tint is illegal, at least in W.A. The guy who does my cars said that. He added that what you see on car ads (no see through windscreen tint) is only done for the shoot and is removed immediately.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Some will do front, "cash only & we didn't do it , dont blame us for defect sticker".
Are they just offering the 15cm strip across the top or the whole windscreen? be pretty stupid of them to do the whole wind screen even for cash as they can actually lose their license :disapp: reflection off side windows is bad enough at night, having the front windscreen tinted would be absolutely terrible :eek:

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach
Screen on my Mazda 3 is tinted  (60%), bit ordinary to drive at night time so am not surprised it is illegal here !!

• 2017 Active PD 2.0, Manual, Black

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Screen on my Mazda 3 is tinted  (60%), bit ordinary to drive at night time so am not surprised it is illegal here !!

Quite a few problem with the Mazda, tinted windscreen - tinted head lights - number plate behind grill which I think is also illegal throughout south east Asia but their policing is pathetic, no wonder their accident percentages are through the roof :rolleyes:

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach

Quite a few problem with the Mazda, tinted windscreen - tinted head lights - number plate behind grill which I think is also illegal throughout south east Asia but their policing is pathetic, no wonder their accident percentages are through the roof :rolleyes:

Yeah always got hassled for the numberplate and the tinted tailights but headlights never mentioned !!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Yeah always got hassled for the numberplate and the tinted tailights but headlights never mentioned !!

Did look pretty good if you like black cars!  :goodjob:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach

Did look pretty good if you like black cars!  :goodjob:

Dont think ive owned a car in any other colour.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Are they just offering the 15cm strip across the top or the whole windscreen? be pretty stupid of them to do the whole wind screen even for cash as they can actually lose their license :disapp: reflection off side windows is bad enough at night, having the front windscreen tinted would be absolutely terrible :eek:

Yeah , think that's where the " we didn't do it"  part comes in.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Yeah , think that's where the " we didn't do it"  part comes in.
It would be a dog move for someone to dob them in as they obviously requested windscreen tint but you could bet it will happen and the "we didn't do it" wont save em.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
It's legal to tint the windscreen but only in a strip above the sweep of the wipers.
I've done a few of our cars a bit deeper than that. In line with the shaded section around the area of the rear view mirror.
Happy to argue that as the sun visors actually go below that line when they are down. And they block your vision completely. At least you can still see through the tint.
  • 2013 Toyota Corolla Ascent Sport 6sp Manual. formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
We know the top strip is legal Trev, it's the whole windscreen that Tristan60d was wanting to have done.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
We know the top strip is legal Trev, it's the whole windscreen that Tristan60d was wanting to have done.
I know that.
I was just adding information for anyone who might want to know more details.
  • 2013 Toyota Corolla Ascent Sport 6sp Manual. formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Hi Mickd
Is that legal to have 20% tint? in NSW
  • 2018 PD2 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6T, DCT, White, I30 SR Premium

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Hi Mickd
Is that legal to have 20% tint? in NSW
According to the information I was given the other day from Tint a Car - 20% is now legal in all states except Tasmania on rear glass, fronts are supposed to be 35% though many like myself have the 20% all round as it looks good :)

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
what would be the implication if you have all 20% all round?  Cop pulling over with fines? or insurance void due to illegal tint?

I found 35% is just too light, yet all the other potential legal issue scare me

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Thanks Craig, correct.
35% on drivers and pass. front side windows.
Front  Not allowed.
Rest can be lower 20% or less.
Have had 20% on our cars since 1989 -nothing on front though - no dramas.
Both our i30 & Santa have 20% strips across top of windscreen.
I sure Police have bigger issues to worry about,  but Insurance Co may look for an escape clause,

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If the police wanted they could yellow sticker the vehicle, I've only ever seen them really take notice of it though with hoon drivers, they've certainly never bothered myself or anyone else I know but for people that attract unwelcome attention to themselves then they might have more reason to be worried.

As far as insurance is concerned I've also never seen a claim refused because of tinting, not to say it hasn't happened of course but I've not heard of it.

The restrictions on tinting are there so people are able to see into the vehicle, not out, so visually your driving abilities aren't affected though it can possibly affect another drivers (3rd parties) ability visually.

What I do notice police crack down on though is limo tint, that's just asking for trouble.

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I dont know what 20% is like but i do know 35% is crap ... maybe i'll go somewhere between 20% and 35% ... say ... 25% or 30%??

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
what would be the implication if you have all 20% all round?  Cop pulling over with fines? or insurance void due to illegal tint?

I found 35% is just too light, yet all the other potential legal issue scare me

"The law is the law.
Be it on your  head when it is broken. "
Quote from my cousin who was a copper many years ago, when I got my license.
Both i30 & Santa have 20 % on the side fronts. That's on me.
No one can say "she'll be right", it's the chance you take. 
My early cars had WAY bigger illegal mods, paid the price a few times, again,  my choice at the time.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I dont know what 20% is like but i do know 35% is crap ... maybe i'll go somewhere between 20% and 35% ... say ... 25% or 30%??
You can have a look at the shade difference when at the tinting shop, they usually have them all up on display.

20% is one shade darker than 35%, there is no inbetween, next shade darker again is 15% and so on.

The tint on mine for example is Tint a Car's Octane tinting at 20% all round.

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi All

Im in sydney, anyone have a recommendation for a good reliable tinting provider? and which brand of tint i should ask for?

Thanks.

Kind Regards

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
As mentioned in my pm reply to you yesterday Tint a Car do the Octane tint which has a nice black look to it, they also do the new Spector tint which has ceramic formulation.

When looking at the display last week Octane still looked the best though :)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi All

Im in sydney, anyone have a recommendation for a good reliable tinting provider? and which brand of tint i should ask for?

Thanks.

Kind Regards

Sydney is a vast place, could you narrow your area please 👍
DON'T use Motorone for any product - way overpriced.

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Im  in the Bankstown area

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Yeah..that is the easy part..im asking for recommendations base on your experience  :)  ..

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal