i30 Owners Club

I30 Intelligent Stop and Go (ISG)

mtuckeruk · 47 · 79467

Offline mtuckeruk

• 2nd Gear
My ISG doesnt seem to work most of the time, I know it doesnt work straight away and that the car needs to be diven for 5 or 10 minutes before its active, but mine just never becomes active, on the rare occasion it may become active but like after 30 minutes of driving. Just doesnt seem right, Hyundai have already looked at it once and supposedly fixed it. Anyone else experiencing the same issues. Mine is the new 2011 i30 Estate Diesel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome mtucker.. we don't get the ISG over here.. my Camry Hybrid has a similar system and as you say you wouldn't expect it to work for the first 5 minutes or so when the car has warmed up it should be "good to go" (or rather good to stop).. :cool:

Nothing worse than having to harp to get something sorted  :rolleyes:

We have a couple of other members who have this feature will be interesting to see what they say...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
The following conditional are all required for the engine to stop:

Clutch pedal released
Shift lever in neutral
The engine coolant temperature is not too low (Over 45 degree/60 degrees*)
External temperature more than than 3c*
The Catalyst Converter temperature not too low (over 200 degree).
Not inhibitor condition for operating strategy or engine fault
- TPS, CKPS, CMPS, ECTS, VSS, Battery sensor, ISCA, BBVPS, Neutral Switch, Clutch Switch
After fulfill OBD monitoring
Battery charge status is adequately high.
No communication line error - LIN, CAN
Vehicle speed less than 5kph
Vehicle speed over 10kph at least once after key starting or idle starting
ISG OFF switch is off
Driver’s seat belt and Driver’s Door and hood are closed.
Battery temperature is between 2 to 60 degree.
Brake booster pressure not to low.
Not Blower max.
Hood/Bonnet not open.

If you think they are all met and it doesn't stop, then it's faulty. The system diagnosis procedure is long and I'm afraid it's best carried out by the dealer.

The following conditions cause the engine to automatically restart:
Not inhibitor condition for operating strategy
- TPS, CKPS, CMPS, ECTS, VSS, Battery sensor, BBVPS, Neutral Switch, Clutch Switch
Brake booster vacuum pressure becomes low.
When the battery charge status becomes low.
A certain amount of time has passed after the air conditioning is switched On.
If the fan speed of the climate control system is maximum speed. (windscreen is fogged)
Vehicle speed is over 5kph by rolling down a hill.

*these items are descrepancies between various sources of information.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
thats amazing,all of that just to make the engine stop and start automaticaly.  :eek:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline mtuckeruk

• 2nd Gear
yeah makes me think how easy it may be for one of those conditions to not be met

i dont do much stop start driving, so if it stays off thats fine as well. I just like the lower tax band because of the ISG been installed.

I like the way that when the engine switches off and you are on a downhill and the car starts to 'free roll' that its starts up again automatically without touching the clutch or gears.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Fascinating technology when you look at it that way  :cool:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

yeah makes me think how easy it may be for one of those conditions to not be met

i dont do much stop start driving, so if it stays off thats fine as well. I just like the lower tax band because of the ISG been installed.

I like the way that when the engine switches off and you are on a downhill and the car starts to 'free roll' that its starts up again automatically without touching the clutch or gears.

I have updated my post above because I noticed I'd missed a couple of important conditions out, and I've added all the automatic start conditions too. I'll cross-post this to the technical forum.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

how do you brake if the engine isnt running? usualy the pedal and steering go rock hard.  :idea:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

how do you brake if the engine isnt running? usualy the pedal and steering go rock hard.  :idea:

Electric assist for the brakes and steering ..all i30's have electric assisted steering (and i'm guessing the ISG version has electric brake assist too - like my Hybrid)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i know about the electric steering but i didn't know about the brakes.  :razz:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
there is enough vacume for 2 pushes of the pedal, try it when your car is turned off! after that its pretty hard! well not stupid hard like an old land rover, but firm!

Offline stiby

• 1st Gear
Have also a new 2011 i30 with ISG.After two weeks the isg refused to work.
The indication light in the ISG switch is always on.
During the first check in the garage they couldn't find the problem.
Next tuesday they will check the car again.
I hope they wiil find the cause. :-[

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Yes, the brakes are vacuum assisted. The ISG cars get an extra sensor, the brake boost vacuum presure sensor, if you brake too much and the pressure goes down the engine re-starts.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Have also a new 2011 i30 with ISG.After two weeks the isg refused to work.
During the first check in the garage they couldn't find the problem.
Next tuesday they will check the car again.
I hope they wiil find the cause. :-[

There are lots of things that can cause a fault condition in ISG:

TPS (Throttle position sensor)
CKPS (Crank shaft Position Sensor)
CMPS (Camshaft position sensor)
ECTS (Engine Coolant Temp sensor)
VSS
Battery sensor (On the top right of battery)
ISCA (Idle Speed control Actuator)
BBVPS (brake boost Vacum Pressure Sensor)
Neutral Switch
Clutch Switch

If the continune to have problems diagnosing the issue TSB HGE09-11-P050-FD might help them diagnose the problem (as mere customers we are of course not allowed to read such things, and being technicians they should already know).

Keep in mind I'm not an expert on the system, this is just a re-interpretation of other information, over which no one else can assert copyright. You might like to google the TSB number.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Offline mtuckeruk

• 2nd Gear
Ok, so if another person also had exactly the same problem i had then after 2 weeks, its probably better it just stays in the OFF position then. When it comes up to the end of the 5 year warranty I will telling Hyundai to disconnect it. But in the meantime I will asking for my £200 refund for ISG, I may just get lucky and have a lower tax band of £35/year

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I'd just get it fixed If I thought it was faulty.

I really doubt they will refund you.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

The ISG light in the switch or on the dashboard or both?

Offline stiby

• 1st Gear

Offline mtuckeruk

• 2nd Gear
as in my initial post Hyundai have already fixed this once(something about the battery). only 2 days after they apparently fixed it did it stop working properly again. Its not a reliable piece of equipment is it?

Mine is the same as Stiby , the light stays on, its located just below the ESP switch. When its working (which it isnt) the light goes off. This allows you to bypass it if you want by pushing teh button once when the light is off.

I havent seen any lights on the dashboard related to ISG, its an after market product(as far as I am aware) so there shouldnt be a light on dashboard.

Offline stiby

• 1st Gear
Hyundai knows about the ISG problem.
They need to install a resistor as far as I understand.
It will be done next week in my car. This is good news

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Thats good news. Please try and get the detials of the modification to help others.

ISG definitely isn;t an aftermarket product, it's very integrated into to the car in the factory.

Offline mtuckeruk

• 2nd Gear
Hyundai just phoned to tell me to come pick it up. They say there is a 'recall' on this problem. He mentioned something about a modified wiring harness that needs to be fitted. They ordering the part and will be fitted at later date.

So there is definately a problem with the ISG, Hyundai agree

Offline VatTas

• 2nd Gear

• lt Lithuania
      Lithuania

• i30 1.6 CRDi BlueDrive
When it comes up to the end of the 5 year warranty I will telling Hyundai to disconnect it.
There are no such thing as "disconnecting" ISG in your car. ISG (Idle Stop and Go) is not only auto engine start/stop. It's also "intelligent" battery charging and some other things.
So issues with ISG can cause other problems than simply not turning engine off on idle...

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I'm just wondering whether on my many trips I'm ever stopped long enough for this to be a worth while addition.

Besides the odd ocassion when I'm waiting in a Q to fill up at the petrol station the only other longish stops are at traffic light.

I know in UK it reduces the Road Fund Tax but .......................

I'd be interested to hear other UK owners thoughts.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm just wondering whether on my many trips I'm ever stopped long enough for this to be a worth while addition.

Besides the odd ocassion when I'm waiting in a Q to fill up at the petrol station the only other longish stops are at traffic light.

I know in UK it reduces the Road Fund Tax but .......................

I'd be interested to hear other UK owners thoughts.

I know I have a different car but it is a gr8 feeling when you pull up at lights or roadworks etc and the engine completly cuts out. The quietness is nice but also you are not stressing about wasted fuel.. If it was only a few hundred A$ more for an i30 with ISG (and it worked) I would opt for it even in Tassie...

Offline mtuckeruk

• 2nd Gear
Well there is a button just below the ESP button for ISG, if you press this button it switches the ISG off. So would imagine it wouldnt be difficult to have this switch modified in such a way that its 'switched on' ie. the ISG is switched off all the time.

Offline mtuckeruk

• 2nd Gear
Hyundai phoned today, they say the part for the ISG recall has arrived, taking it on Tuesday to get fixed. Will try get more details on exactly what it is and what the problem is

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hyundai phoned today, they say the part for the ISG recall has arrived, taking it on Tuesday to get fixed. Will try get more details on exactly what it is and what the problem is

That info will be so useful to so many members. Thanks :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline mtuckeruk

• 2nd Gear
Hyundai tell me its a 'wiring extension kit' , wires for ISG are too short and presumably not making contact properly.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal