i30 Owners Club

Vibration at speeds 60kph to 85kph

jsams5 · 11 · 4168

Offline jsams5

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      adelaide south australia
Hi I recently purchased a i30 nov build 2018 2litre auto brand new, I have had the vehicle back to the dealer for first safety check,i complained about the vibration and was told by the staff their mechanic had road tested the vehicle and it was found to be normal,i am a bit of a freak when it comes to noises and vibrations but this is abnormal,i can feel it through the seat from 60kph onwards and it smooths out at approx 90kph,there Is no audible sounds associated with this issue,i'm wondering if any members have expeirenced this condition in later build vehicles,thank you.
  • 2018 nov build i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome,  sorry to hear that.

I would ask to drive a similar spec demo on the same roads at the troublesome speed and see if they all feel the same. My car is a 1.6 turbo SR but I recently drove around 2000 kilometres over 2 weeks in a 2.0 petrol current model rental car and can't say I noticed that.

Our tyre guru may be on shortly but I wouldn't be surprised if it was tyre related. One or more tyres with a balance issue which can be more noticeable at certain speeds.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
G'Day

:i30:
What a surprise about not feeling anything.
Go back, you have warranty , take the guy for a drive.
Probably is balance, could be sus tyre,  if you can't feel through the steering wheel,  probably the rears.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
As others have suggested, vibration through the seat is normally a tyre balance (Or something more serious than balance) issue.
A rear tyre.
Front wheel balance will be felt in the steering wheel.
It's possible a rim is buckled in some way but whatever it is should show up on a balance machine.

Stick to your guns.

As an aside, I would never road test a car, looking for a stated problem without the owner aboard.
Nor would I, as an owner let someone road test my car looking for a problem without me on board.

• 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Endeavor

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      BC
If the vibration dissapears when pressing the brake, it could point you  to warped rotor/s or "baked" pads.
  • 2012 Elantra Touring FD 2.0 Auto

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
If the vibration dissapears when pressing the brake, it could point you  to warped rotor/s or "baked" pads.

Other way around, moderate application of the brakes will exaggerate the above faults.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Correct,
In fact unless the rotors are really bad, you won't feel a vibration until you touch the brake pedal.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
If it was a Mazda, you'd be checking the studs  :lol:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline jsams5

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      adelaide south australia
THANK YOU TO ALL REPLIES,I'LL TAKE THE VEHICLE BACK TO DEALER AND REQUEST ROAD TEST WITH ME IN VEHICLE,AGAIN THANK YOU.
  • 2018 nov build i30

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
THANK YOU TO ALL REPLIES,I'LL TAKE THE VEHICLE BACK TO DEALER AND REQUEST ROAD TEST WITH ME IN VEHICLE,AGAIN THANK YOU.

:goodjob2: :goodjob2: :goodjob2: :goodjob2: :goodjob2: :goodjob2: :goodjob2: only way they get it.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
If it was a Mazda, you'd be checking the studs  :lol:

Or my Stud Wallaby   :wink: :wink:

thats too intellectual for the rest of you.... just continue with the babble.   :goodjob2:

:mrgreen:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal