• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      South Yorkshire UK
1600 Diesel, Auto.

Came to stop at a junction, then saw a gap in the traffic,

put the power pedal to maximum, ....... nothing happened for

about a quarter of a second. It seemed as though the engine

had died, the car then took off.

Can to the next junction, stopped, power about half way, no lag.

Any one any suggestions?

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
ESP stopping you from being SILLY....  if you want to scorch the tyres away so that you can buy new ones, switch the esp off   :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Well said ASA  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline alan2938

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      South Yorkshire UK

Offline ausi30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
just turbo lag?. If you have stopped, it has to spool up again, whereas if you stopped but still had power applied, its spinning ready to perform????
But I'm not an expert(yet) particularly on esp function..
D

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
I also think it was a turbo lag.

If you push the pedal quickly, you would expect the car to take off right away, wouldn't you? Yes, but it doesn't. And that's the thing with most turbo diesel engines. Nothing special though and in most cases, you don't even feel it, but at quick starts like that, you should always have your engine in higher rev's. Not that good for a clutch if you do it often, but it won't do harm, if done every once in a while.

At least that's what I think happened.

Offline alan2938

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      South Yorkshire UK
you should always have your engine in higher rev's. Not that good for a clutch if you do it often, but it won't do harm, if done every once in a while.

Difficult with an automatic.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
1600 Diesel, Auto.

Came to stop at a junction, then saw a gap in the traffic,

put the power pedal to maximum, ....... nothing happened for

about a quarter of a second. It seemed as though the engine

had died, the car then took off.

Can to the next junction, stopped, power about half way, no lag.

Any one any suggestions?

Hi Again Alan...

As I understand it. ESP monitors various things the car is up to: braking, acceleration, steering wheel angle, accelerator pedal depression. If there is something suden on any of these, because you brake or swerve fiercely or lose grip on a driven wheel, ESP intervenes to restore the situation to "normal".

So it may well be a combination of the Turbo AND the ESP...   However Alan, my car doesn't have turbo and some time ago I have the same thing, when my car was still my new toy I gunned it away a few times and go the exact same PAUSE as you describe.  Then some of the clever chaps here, who are very very helpful explain ed  it too me and voila, problem solved.

So this  is the deal Alan, I can only offer experiential information as I am defo not a techi guy.   So, you choose, I stick with my first offering ESP stops us from being silly...

Good luck with it Alan, and enjoy your car.....

Asa  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline alan2938

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      South Yorkshire UK

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
My car is exactly as you describe too Alan.  The car can take a heart stopping moment or 2 to spool up and get going.  If I am not careful I find myself "going for a gap", but the car stays where it is!  ESP may come into it - but I think it is more turbo lag and lazy auto gearbox. 
If I know I want to start off abruptly I hold the car briefly on the brake (eg either heel & toe or left foot or handbrake) with a little bit of throttle - but that that is not something I want to do regularly. 
Just takes a bit of anticipation & getting used to.
Ed

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
I missed the part that it is an auto. I think it's definitely turbo lag + automatic transmission. ESP might have something to do with it too, but I don't think that's the main "issue" here.

When having Auto., and taking off quickly, I would advise to do what "Talking Hoarse" does. Probably the only way you can have it "rev'ed" - turbo ready to go. With manual, you know how it is (much easier).. You push the gas pedal a bit, to rev it up and "start" the turbo, but at the same time, you hold your clutch right at the spot, where she starts to "grab". And then....wrrruuum  :whistler:

Offline alan2938

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      South Yorkshire UK
accim,

Your explanation, to me seem about right, but not being mechanically minded, it looks as though a fast get way, you have medium throttle.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
This was one reason I fitted a tuningbox to my [manual] diesel. Instant throttle response from 850rpm idling, even with the slightest blip on the pedal
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Xamaxy
Talking Hoarse said: "but I think it is more turbo lag and lazy auto gearbox."

Bingo. Thats it. Friend of mine has Sonata 2.0 CRDi 170HP also automatic and the same problem. Hyundai auto-gearbox is quite slow unfortunately!
Measured with g-tech it takes it 0.8s to shift compared to 0.26s for fast manual shift.

Offline unfamilia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      melbourne
I find with the i30 auto crdi, I can heel toe as you call it (load up the stall convertor in drag racing) for a quicker getaway as turbo is on boost but then once at speed (say 25 30kmh)  and you want to take a corner quicker, the car cuts power til you lift off the acceleration or brake for 1 or 2 sec. I know alpha 156 do this as a safety thing( very unsafe I feel) but are i30 designed like this or is there a fault with my car?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I find with the i30 auto crdi, I can heel toe as you call it (load up the stall convertor in drag racing) for a quicker getaway as turbo is on boost but then once at speed (say 25 30kmh)  and you want to take a corner quicker, the car cuts power til you lift off the acceleration or brake for 1 or 2 sec. I know alpha 156 do this as a safety thing( very unsafe I feel) but are i30 designed like this or is there a fault with my car?

It is a safety cutoff function but there has been debate on here before about the pros and cons (apparently the Manual does it too)  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal