i30 Owners Club

Accelerator/ESP Problem

SteenP · 5 · 2998

Offline SteenP

• 2nd Gear

• dk Denmark
Hi Guys

My '08 I30 CRDI has got some kind of problem, without warning it cuts the acceleratorpedal when accelerating and when it does, the ESP OFF light goes on. Letting go of the pedal and stepping on it again assumes the accelerating. Pushing the esp on/off button doesn't do anything when the problem occurs. Everything else is working normal.
When driving at a steady speed or on cruise control it never occurs.

The "fault" disappears when ignition is switched off and the problem only :confused: occured 4-5 times in the last 6 month's. 

Anyone got an idea about what I should be looking for?

Ohh, by the way, the car has now covered 113xxx km.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 05:25:59 by SteenP »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Does it stop accelerating at around 3000RPM? Could be a fuel filter issue (and nothing to do with the ESP? )  :idea:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Not good, it's never nice to be unsure if the car is going to respond the way you think it should.

Have you checked the high level brake light is working, there have been issues surrounding a faulty switch in that light having an effect on the ESP, even if the light is still working, I would be heading for the dealer, although if it is intermittent they might not be able to find the fault.

Check your tyre pressures also, a low pressure can also cause ESP issues.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Sent from my 1000et
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline SteenP

• 2nd Gear

• dk Denmark
High level brake light works and except for one time the car accelerates beyond 3000 rpms. The one time it didn't it kept cutting the accelerator at 2500 rpm.
Tyre pressure is also ok.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Not good, it's never nice to be unsure if the car is going to respond the way you think it should.

Have you checked the high level brake light is working, there have been issues surrounding a faulty switch in that light having an effect on the ESP, even if the light is still working, I would be heading for the dealer, although if it is intermittent they might not be able to find the fault.

Check your tyre pressures also, a low pressure can also cause ESP issues.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Sent from my 1000et
If the engine is doing this, wouldn't there be some sort of record in the faults recorded in the computer?
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal