i30 Owners Club

Car shuddering when changing gears

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
G'day guys

Sorry I've been away for so long again. How have you all been?

Unfortunately my car isn't doing so good. At the moment she's got a fairly bad shudder when I change down from 3rd to 2nd. It happens when I'm slowing down, like coming upto a set of traffic lights.

I took it into my dealer to have it looked at, mechanic drove it with me in the passenger seat and couldn't replicate it (probably because he was pretty much dropping the clutch everytime) I then took a crack at it with him in the passenger seat and did replicate it, I was alot more gentle on the clutch (it is my baby after all) but he claims I'm letting it out too slowly to the point of riding it.

I'm willing to accept the possibility of operator error, but considering I've now cracked 100,000kms I would have thought if I couldn't drive a manual something would have happened before now!

The opinion of the mechanic is to just wait and see what happens, see if the plate evens out or something like that and if not I'm up for $$$ in repairs. No mention was made of warranty and I doubt there will be if the claim it is operator error.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Regards

Daniel

Offline Ultralights

• 3rd Gear
  • yay, me.

• au Australia
      Sydney

• He loves nature in spite of what it did to him..
100,000km on the original clutch? if you slip the clutch when down changing, it causes wear, unless you match the revs before letting the clutch out into the lower gear,  called Heal/toe in racing terms,   when i was tught to drive, and at the Ian Luff driver training years ago, he stated the clutch should only be slipped on 1 occasion... starting off.    it might have just worn out if its shuddering. or slipping has glazed the clutch friction surface.
  • SLX CRDI U2

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Hmmm, that's something I've never really thought about until now... :undecided:

I let the clutch out briskly while changing up and down gears, and usually blip the throttle on the down change...probably less so with the diesel though.... :undecided:

BTW, 100,000k's out of a clutch isn't all that good, I managed 420,000k's out of my little Barina and it was still going strong when I sold it.   :confused:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Daniel Nice to hear from you again...

Would the clutch be adjustable at all?

Is it biting low down or not until you nearly lift right off?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
in the i30 the clutch kit consists of the flywheel because its a non machinable item.  :faint: one of the mechanics at my local dealersip said its around $1,100 for the crdi and around $900 for the petrol.  :scared: :disapp:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal