i30 Owners Club

Trouble selecting 1st/2nd when cold, following recent service

Shambles · 44 · 13124

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Had my i30 at her 5 year/60,000 service on 28th Feb.

Since then, when cold, I can barely select 1st or 2nd, almost as if the gear wasn't there to select (particularly 2nd). Once warmed up no problem.

Probably related, and again only since the service, when idling from a cold start, lifting the clutch in neutral starts a slight creep with the engine obviously under a bit of load.

I rang the dealership who did the service and they booked me in "for a chat" on 18th March, with an option to leave my i30 with them to check "from cold" if necessary. The receptionist there does have some tekky knowledge as I've discovered in the past, but she said it doesn't seem "service related", but I can assure them that this problem did not exist prior to the service.

So is there anything I could check myself, or do these symptoms ring a bell with anyone?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Hi omarkum.

when cold and idling in neutral she creeps forwards with clutch drag.

That can't be good Shambles. I suggest you take it back. Creeping clutch? Not good. :scared:

• 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
burnt out clutch?

I bloody well hope not  :twisted:

Pip
Plus, when cold and idling in neutral she creeps forwards with clutch drag.
I'm assuming when you say "idling in neutral", the clutch is fully engaged but the gear is in neutral. For this scenario I can't imagine what would cause "creep"; certainly nothing to do with the clutch.

Perhaps I've misinterpreted and you mean it creeps when the clutch pedal is held to the floor while in (first) gear. In which case I'd agree that it's "clutch creep" and possibly because the hydraulics has air in it, and not allowing the clutch to fully disengage. This would also cause it to baulk when selecting a gear because the synchro would have difficulty trying to alter the speed of the gear while it is still being held/driven.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Yes Pip. Clutch fully engaged and gear in neutral. When cold there's a noticeable load put on the idling engine and she will "creep"

Pip
Yes Pip. Clutch fully engaged and gear in neutral. When cold there's a noticeable load put on the idling engine and she will "creep"

Well that's certainly interesting. I can only think it could be caused by oil drag between the two shafts acting a little like the torque converter in an auto. When cold, the thick oil certainly does produce a load in most cars when left in neutral and I think is one reason it is often recommended to start the car with the clutch depressed. However, in at least one car I've driven I've also noticed the opposite, where the pressure applied to the clutch is greater than the oil drag and holding the clutch in slowed the idle.

It is cold there still, yes? I've wondered about whether the oil used in the gearbox could be improved. I'm interested to hear what the cause of the creep is...

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
It's disconcerting to raise the clutch to resting point from cold (in neutral) and feel the engine labour the higher the clutch gets. It didn't do that before the service, despite the lady saying it couldn't be service related.

This is now the third time I've come away from that dealership with a problem that didn't exist when I took it in  :faint:

Pip
It's disconcerting to raise the clutch to resting point from cold (in neutral) and feel the engine labour the higher the clutch gets. It didn't do that before the service, despite the lady saying it couldn't be service related.

This is now the third time I've come away from that dealership with a problem that didn't exist when I took it in  :faint:
Did they change the gearbox oil at the service? I have to believe they did and if so it sounds to me like it's too thick.  :scared:

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi Pip

There's no mention of that fluid being changed on the invoice...

Pip
There is more to this than we know I reckon. :scared:

I'm pulling the plug on dealer service and trying an independant, first for my Getz and then the i30. Mostly for the reason that they seem to want $double this time around.

I mention this only because I'm always nervous no matter who services my cars partly because of people like you that report you seem to collect extra problems when one would expect fewer!

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Just got off the blower...

Hmm... gearbox oil was checked but not changed.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Just off topic for a moment....

Congrats on passing the 10,000 post milestone, Shambles.... :goodjob:

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
When I had my Accent I had a problem with the gear change.

It turned out to be the gear box oil, put in a very light oil, plus the linkages needed to be reset.

After that all was ok.

Also, have the idle revs changed?  If they have, could this be causing the problem.

Or they have upgrade the ECU with rogue software making you go back and then they hit you with a repair bill  ???

Creep in neutral -- this in my opinion means that a gear is engaged or clutch plates touching.  So I wonder whether during the fluid change when they bleed the system the system wasn't bled correctly and this is causing the clutch plates not to separate.

ps 18th!!!!!!!  I think you should visit on your way to/from/lunchtime and ask them to look at it sooner rather than later.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
ps 18th!!!!!!!  I think you should visit on your way to/from/lunchtime and ask them to look at it sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the advice etc.

I'm now thinking about just ignoring it as I believe they have altered the clutch distancing and [gear] cable settings. I don't want that lot to touch my Fergie again if I can help it.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

gear in neutral. When cold there's a noticeable load put on the idling engine and she will "creep"

Just had another thought!!!!!

Does this mean you have to depress the clutch to start otherwise it will kangaroo, i.e. the movement you get when you try to start with the car in gear and clutch Not depressed?

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I've never started a car without depressing the clutch TBH, and I can't really try it in the morning as my driveway is on an upwards incline, but I shall get it off the drive and restart it, just to see. Good idea mate

Offline TrishCW

• 5th Gear
  • SWMBO at Dazzler's House

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• My little "GEM"
gear in neutral. When cold there's a noticeable load put on the idling engine and she will "creep"

Just had another thought!!!!!

Does this mean you have to depress the clutch to start otherwise it will kangaroo, i.e. the movement you get when you try to start with the car in gear and clutch Not depressed?

does this mean that your cars over there will start without depressing the clutch, ours wont start if you don't depress the clutch.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Yeah Trish, no clutch needed to start the car, though why anyone with even an ounce of commonsense would start a car without depressing the clutch is beyond me :rolleyes:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Yeah Trish, no clutch needed to start the car, though why anyone with even an ounce of commonsense would start a car without depressing the clutch is beyond me :rolleyes:

:confused: :-[  I used to get caught out if I got into our Nissans because Trish left them in gear and I didn't so Id try and start them without foot on the clutch occassionally with embarrassing results...

Hyundai was one of the first over here to make it so you HAD to depress the clutch to start the car (now a few other brands do it too)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

why anyone with even an ounce of commonsense would start a car without depressing the clutch is beyond me :rolleyes:

In all my 42+ years of driving I have never pressed the clutch in prior to starting the car.

I do, however, wriggly the gear stick to ensure it is in neutral.

The only drivers I'm aware of who press it in are those who have had cars which require you to do it to start and the habit is there. 
Is this why you do it?

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I have always done it, despite having a multitude of cars that didn't need it.  All the Scoobies had to be started with the clutch depressed.

Sent from my 1000ET
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
 :whsaid:

Reduces the stress on the battery & starter motor if they don't have to turn the full clutch when cranking

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK
why anyone with even an ounce of commonsense would start a car without depressing the clutch is beyond me :rolleyes:

Maybe they start the car...without the gearbox engaged  :D  :wink:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

For sure, and pages 225 and 226 of the i30 user manual instruct you to do it too.

Back on the original topic, I do think you might have an issue that won't fix itself.

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK
For sure, and pages 225 and 226 of the i30 user manual instruct you to do it too.

It also advises using an authorised Hyundai dealership for servicing  :scared:  :D

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

It also advises using an authorised Hyundai dealership for servicing  :scared:  :D

I don't understand; I've always used authorised dealerships

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I think the point is that we are aware of the issues we have experienced using our authorised dealers, coming out with more faults than they went in with, scratches etc.  :(

Sent from my 1000ET
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Absolutely, (sorry to hear about that scratch you "acquired")

I've cancelled my chat with that dealership on the 18th and will not be using them again. Decided to "see how I go" with the gear changing as this morning it was 8oC and wasn't as bad as the previous 7 days or so

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal