i30 Owners Club

Starting problems with 1.6crdi estate

jb · 10 · 4164

Offline jb

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Shropshire
HI everyone, I've recently bought a June 2010 I30 estate 1.6crdi and was really pleased with the car.  But after I had the car for just over a week it refused to start, all the normal lights on the dash light up apart from the glow plug light.  When I turned the key nothing happened at all so I called out the breakdown service, they checked the battery which was OK and then checked the fuse box and found a relay which was loose.  The car then started with no problems but the following day I had exactly the same thing happen, I checked the fuses and relay myself - didn't find anything loose this time, tried to start the car - nothing.  I then pulled out the relay that had been loose the day before, put it back in and it was OK again.

I've taken the car to the local Hyundai dealer who said they couldn't find a problem, so I've now booked it into the dealer where I bought it from for them to have a look at.

Has anyone else had similar issues with non-starting?

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
Have you tried to replace the fuse with a new one?
And what do you mean "loose"? Fuse doesn't stay in place?
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline jb

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Shropshire
Hi babis_xo, you could wobble the fuse around, it needed to be pushed back in until it clicked in place.  2nd time around it was firmly in place, I haven't tried replacing the fuse myself but told the dealer which one I had been loose.  I hope they would have tested and replaced it if faulty.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Next time it doesn't start try the other key before you fiddle around with fuses etc.

It could be the chip in the key not working correctly.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Big Ade

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Diesel Power!
I concur with "Eye30".....I took my car in the other day to Hyundai, as I have experienced trouble starting the car, it happened 3 times last week.  I took it in a few weeks ago, but nothing showed up on the computer and they said nothing wrong with it, and to monitor it!

last time it happened, I thought ahead and videoed me trying to start it, and was able to play this back to chap in the garage.

I also gave him a print out of the forum (i30 owners club) I had done some research on with the same problem and they sited the antenna(for the key transponder, part of immobilizer) in the steering column being faulty, in "many"

The response from the chap behind the counter was.."oh a forum...yeah well, there's a lot of rubbish on there, loads of people guessing at things, you have to take it with a pinch of salt'

...SO ANYWAY! I get a phone call this afternoon....."Oh hello, yes your cars already to be picked up! Yeah mate it was the antenna in the steering column, yeah they're quite common, we got it to come up as a fault code on the computer, so have re soldered the connection, you won't have any more problems"

Hope this helps

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
I hope that you rubbed his nose in it Big Ade..... I guess that there are "forums" and forums!!!...    :rofl:

They would do well to heed a lot of the research that members do.... and perhaps some dealers or staff do... anyway,  a brownie point for this forum and its members.

:goodjob:
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
@ Big Ade

Nice one. We do have dealerships monitoring the problems & issues boards...

@ jb

Do you still have the issue starting your estate?

... a brownie point for this forum and its members.

Just the one? :eek: ;)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Big Ade

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Diesel Power!
So far so good, touch wood!
Starts every time now, but it was only Tuesday they fixed it!

Offline jabber

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Blacktown, NSW

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal