i30 Owners Club

2012 Rear Fog Light - Partially Detached From Bumper

Ddraig · 10 · 3082

Offline Ddraig

• 1st Gear

• wales Wales
      UK
Hi all,

I've noticed that my rear left fog light has become partially detached from the bumper. It still seems to be holding in place (although slight wiggle with force) but I was wandering what I would have to do to try and access the fog light so that I can try to attach it back to the bumper. This is my first car so any form of repair work is very new to me.

Edit: Forgot to add, the fog light does still work.

Here is an image of the issue;

(it needs a clean i know!)

Thanks for any help in advance.

Ddraig
  • 2012 GD 5 Door Hatch, | Petrol 1.4 Active | Manual | Black

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
You will need to remove the bumper or maybe from underneath you can get in there and have a look.

Also in your profile says you have FD, but I suspect this is GD, that's what this appears to belong to.

A number of possible scenarios. As you can see this is screwed to the mounts part of the bumper moulding.

a. the mounting/s has broken at the bumper
b. the mounting/s are broken at the light
c. the screws fell out
d. if it's been given a good nudge then refer to a & b

there's 2 types 92405A6100 and 92405A6200

good luck
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Ddraig

• 1st Gear

• wales Wales
      UK
Thanks tw2500, you are correct in that it was a GD and not an FD. Had the car booked in to get looked at today (since it required bumper to come off - more than i can manage), and rather dismayed to find that the answer is a).

Here is the right fog;

Here is the left fog;

All but one of the mounts have sheared off and it was being held in place by a culmination of zip-ties and some sticky pads. The response from the Hyundai garage was basically it would require a new rear bumper for a permanent fix (they've bodged it back on with some super glue - the bottom most mount was still intact). They're going to get in touch with me with a quote for that.

Only purchased the car about 3 weeks back (from a UK Bristol Street Motors dealership), and in conjunction with the rear fog light issue, i've also noticed my cruise control seems to not function and the ESC warning light comes on always after exceeding 50mph (near identical issues to this post).

So that'll be a new bumper and a new clutch (and/or) brake switch - needless to say the Bristol Street dealership I bought off will be getting a stern phone call tomorrow. If it weren't for the fact i'm currently working several hours away from home, i'd have taken the car back. Not happy whatsoever with that zip-tie/sticky label hodgepodge that was discovered.

Thanks for your help, i'm glad I got it looked at.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 19:57:09 by Ddraig »

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
When was it last mot'd?

Have you checked whether there is an advisory posted for the lamps.?

Did dealer give warranty you can claim on?

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@Ddraig That is disappointing. Hopefully you can get some support from the seller in getting these issues sorted.  :sweating:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Shwmae  @Ddraig , The so called repair on the bumper is dodgy , not fit for use, and was merely a way to get it out the door to some mug.

The ESC light would baffle many, I had to reread the linked thread to remember how we solved the problem. In that case the clutch switch had physically broken, but internal electrical failure will cause the same problem.

Good chance that the dealer also knew about it. Go in Hard and good luck.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Ddraig

• 1st Gear

• wales Wales
      UK
Cheers for the posts all.

The car had it's MOT and service done in August - no advisories. Fortunately I do have a warranty with the dealership so will be seeking to utilise that if necessary, however I would hope the dealership will be forthcoming in providing assistance to rectify the issues. I am still within the 30 day period (bought car on 5th September) of the UK Consumer Rights Act, so I may consider acting upon that depending on how they respond. Good car otherwise but just a shame these issues had to crop up - only positive is that they did show up soon enough to put me in a relatively good position act upon, rights wise.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Cable tie and clip in pristine condition.
Bet my left one it was the dealer that did it   :spitty:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Cable tie and clip in pristine condition.
Bet my left one it was the dealer that did it   :spitty:

..and I'll bet YOUR right one you are right!  :snigger:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
In that case Dazz, I've got my fingers and other bits crossed it was the previous owner is to blame. We'll have to believe the dealer  :winker:
(The left is smaller   :sweating:)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 12:17:40 by mickd »
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal