i30 Owners Club

Cruise control stopped working

acer8 · 9 · 7420

Offline acer8

• 1st Gear
I have a 2012 i30 crdi blue drive.

Halfway through a 750 k trip the ESC light came on and the cruise control stopped working, l continued on with no problem, but found it a real pain without cc. Has anyone else had this problem if so any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Acer8   :crazy1:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I rarely use cc. so no pain.

Possibly a dud wheel speed sensor
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Acer.. Is yours the last of the series 1 FD models. I think  it was only the FD that had a brake light switch issue (warranty  job) which could in turn disrupt the operation of the cruise.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Dazz, could be  :goodjob2:

Forgotten the routine brake switch problem.... could still be a few lurking.... symptoms fit.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline StokeyBry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Stoke on Trent United kingdom
I had a similar issue driving over 40mph the esc light would come on and cruise wouldn’t work at all. Turned out to be a faulty clutch switch on the pedal
  • I30 2013 GD 5 Door Hatchback Petrol 1.4 Manual Active

Offline acer8

• 1st Gear
No it's the first of the new models, I've also noticed that the gear change warning has also stopped working. The worst thing is that the cost of diagnosis is 100 € +. then you have the cost of whatever needs to be done.

Offline Martini

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cambridge
It'll be the top switch on the clutch pedal.  A bit of a sod to get to and you'll need a small spanner set or one that's cut in half to undo the switch.
These are the symptoms I noticed:
1. The car would judder a bit in 4th gear forcing me to change down to third in a 30 MPH (50 KPH) limit.
A bit annoying but I put up with it for a few weeks.
2. Then the ESC light would illuminate randomly.  This turned out to be above about 50 MPH (80 KPH) so would not come on if the journey was only around town.
3. On a longer drive I noticed that the cruise control system wouldn't engage!
I suspected more was wrong somewhere.
4. Next I noticed the "Gear change" alert number didn't display.

A little research on here and I found the suspect.  Top clutch switch!
Basically the car is confused as it doesn't know what gear it is in.  Not good to do over 50 MPH in first gear!  :-)

Here is the switch I bought (others are available):
Make is FACET.
Got it from AutoDoc in the UK.
Search for 1.810.297

« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 10:02:59 by Martini »
  • i30 1.6 CRDI

Offline Martini

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cambridge
The pictures are from a Right Hand Drive car so they may be opposite hand if you have a LHD car.

Firstly "locally" remove the door seal as shown and prise off the side panel cover on the end of the dash (just inside the door).

Undo the one screw on the lower panel towards the middle of the car.

Undo these two screws that I am highlighting here.

Release and remove the small front access panel for the fuse box.

Release the OBD diagnostic socket by releasing its clips.

You can now remove the lower panel by gently pulling forward on it.
There are 3 clips on the rear of the panel (shown more clearly on the removed panel pictures below) so take care.

The 3 pictures (below) of the removed panel show the fixing points, two on the end, one low on the front towards the middle of the car and finally the bright green clips.

This gives a slightly clearer view of where you need to get to but now the fun really begins!

Depress the clutch pedal and secure it in the down position to the steering column with a plastic tie wrap (or similar).

You will now have to get your head, shoulders and arms down into the footwell.  Place a blanket in the doorway and your legs outside.  It is not a comfortable position!  You are looking for the switch right at the top of the clutch pedal lever (as shown in the 2 pictures below).

Not the lower one as shown here (and is a different design).  It is between the silver bracket and the top white label and is being depressed by the clutch pedal arm.

You will need to undo the small hexagon nut (14mm across flats) and then remove and unplug from the wiring loom.  Fit the new switch and fit the nut and tighten the nut.  Apply tie wraps if required to hold the wiring in the original position.

The small MAGNUSSON spanner set was useful for the job.  Available at Screwfix UK or EU item number 6221V.

Good luck!

« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 03:07:18 by Martini »
  • i30 1.6 CRDI

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :ta: :Agoodpost: :judges: I've stickied the topic.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal