i30 Owners Club

Broken Spark Plug - not changed during service - VOIDED WARRANTY?

JUDY · 177 · 42053

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Fair reply given the circumstances.

I'd taking this up with the servicing garage!
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
As He states,plugs should have been changed at 36 months and as all warranty books state,36 months or 45,000 klms,WHICHEVER comes first,exactly the same as oil and filter servicing'

As he also stated this is the first time in what five years they have ever seen the car(which leads to more questions)I have been going back through this thread to refresh my memory and spotted the photo's posted of the engine in question and the three photo's to my way of thinking looked very similar to photo's taken in a wrecking yard,the first one was especially good as it clearly shows the bonnet has been removed(or photo shopped out)I have a car of a similar vintage and the engine bay is similar looking condition as the day it came off the show room floor.

I would have to say I support Lilydale Hyundai here, as in the current markets,Dealership have now very little margins,especially in the regards to selling brand new cars,nearly ALL dealerships,no matter who they are rely on Manufacturers to absorb and pay repairs costs when it comes to warranty work, though we all feel they are being unfair,arrogant or just not caring,this is reality and as he stated,does he do the work for nothing(not a good economic discission for a business)Can't believe I just supported Hy servicng an warranty dept then.

Sorry to sound critical of the original poster,but all throughout this thread there just seems to be minor(key) facts that have been left out which help clarify this situation,I am extremely happy Judy has the car running again,very disappionted that Lilydale could not give Judy ALL possible options to repairs and went straight to the very worse case scenario.

Lesson learnt by all here I think
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
As He states,plugs should have been changed at 36 months and as all warranty books state,36 months or 45,000 klms,WHICHEVER comes first ...

That's half the issue here. The book doesn't give a time schedule just a distance (40,000 km), which hadn't been reached:

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
It's a very carefully worded reply. If anything, I would suggest that if you take 25% of both sides and mix together, then we'd be as close to the facts as possible.

The customer contact by the dealership needs to be improved.
Can't fault the dealership's economics, as explained.

The customer, allowing for the irritation and unexpected failure of their vehicle, needs to be more sympathetic to a dealer, who has never seen the vehicle before. The customer needed to correctly maintain the vehicle.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
IF that's the right book, for the right car ,from the right country, and we are told the car has less than <40K Km on the clock, on what grounds can the warranty repair be refused? I don't see ay mention of 36Months there...

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
That's my point too.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
It's assumed by Hy that you will do the distances stated in the service schedule at the appropriate time.

So @ 36 months they will treat your car as having traveled 45k kms. Based on that logic, plugs should have been replaced.
It's hard to stay in warranty if you don't drive very often.  :fum: :fum:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

It's assumed by Hy that you will do the distances stated in the service schedule at the appropriate time.

So @ 36 months they will treat your car as having traveled 45k kms. Based on that logic, plugs should have been replaced.

Presumably you are assuming they assume that, or have they actually stated that's the reason?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
They have 2 headings on the service schedule, allowing 2 service options, but yes, my assumption. We have received reminders based on time, which we ignore. Ruby is out of warranty so, not concerned with their reminders. 5 years and just approaching 59k kms.

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
Is the Aus service book the same as Shambles ?  As Shambles as stated there is no time limit when to change the plugs only distance travelled, and if you read *3 it states you can change prior to interval for your convenience  but there's no interval in the booklet just 40k.

But like they stated if Hy wont authorise the warranty there's nothing Lilydale can do.

Also the problem was on No.4 cyl but found No.3 down on compression at that point they have gone as far as possible without the customer acquiring a large diagnostic bill. ie head removal and most likely quoted the worse case scenario which i think is right thing to do

If what Rick as said it's 36 months and in Lilydales statement there's no mention of distance travelled the Aus service schedule must be different to the UK's if that's the case it looks like a open and shut case sorry to say

• 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
There seems to be no consistency about plug change intervals.

This is my KIA with the 1.6 petrol engine.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Is the Aus service book the same as Shambles ?

That was Judy's photo of her own service booklet.

:link: Broken Spark Plug - not changed during service - VOIDED WARRANTY?

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
The Kia booklet shows it better 24months or 40k's which ever is first, strange that it doesn't show in Judy's booklet, I think I would be inclined to contact Hy head office  warranty department and speak to the manager and explain that's there's no mention of time only distance.

Also reading the statement the only fault found when doing a leak test is on No.3 cylinder and  not on any of the others?

question is, was/is there a fault before the spark plug problem, There's no way No.4 can cause No.3 to leak when the spark plug fell apart because No.4 would have to be leaking also.

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire

It will make no difference if you do low or high mileage,

The only time it will make a difference is when you have a warranty that covers mileage and years. So if your warranty is say for 3 years and 100k and you did 100k in 2 years then your warranty would of expired when hitting the 100k, if your a low mileage user you have no problems just get it serviced on time intervals

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

The only time it will make a difference is when you have a warranty that covers mileage and years. So if your warranty is say for 3 years and 100k and you did 100k in 2 years then your warranty would of expired when hitting the 100k, if your a low mileage user you have no problems just get it serviced on time intervals

I disagree,

Why would I be interested in servicing at time intervals, when (for some items), such as spark plugs, the car hasn't done even half of the required work. 

As an example, Trish's original CW was manufactured in 2010, sold in Sept 2014 with < 27k on the dial. Surely you wouldn't be suggesting that the spark plugs should have been replaced already.  :exclaim:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 11:54:57 by Phil №❶ »

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

If we interpret the words in Judy's book as written, going on the facts I see no reasonable reason the claim could be turned down.

If this was my car I would be:

1) taking the issue up with Hyundai Customer Services.
2) If still refused I would ask to follow their complaints procedure.
3) If still refused I would take legal recourse.

My opinion is that the dealer should be making this argument to Hyundai in a forthright manner.

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire

I disagree,

Why would I be interested in servicing at time intervals, when (for some items), such as spark plugs, the car hasn't done even half of the required work.

Phil your not, its what ever comes first.

Example....... look at Alans Kia booklet  spark plug renewal = 24 months or 40k.....He's coming up to his 24 month service but he as only covered 20k, the spark plugs will have to be changed regardless of the mileage covered as it states "which ever comes first" 24months or 40K 

same applies to warranty on some manufactures, some give mileage and years, heres a example below read a couple of paragraph down. Lifetime warranty or 100000 miles which ever comes first

:link: 100,000 mile Lifetime Warranty | Terms & conditions - Vauxhall Motors UK

« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 11:47:40 by Johnno »

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
If we interpret the words in Judy's book as written, going on the facts I see no reasonable reason the claim could be turned down.

If this was my car I would be:

1) taking the issue up with Hyundai Customer Services.
2) If still refused I would ask to follow their complaints procedure.
3) If still refused I would take legal recourse.

My opinion is that the dealer should be making this argument to Hyundai in a forthright manner.

:whsaid:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

I disagree,

Example....... look at Alans Kia booklet  spark plug renewal = 24 months or 40k.....He's coming up to his 24 month service but he as only covered 20k, the spark plugs will have to be changed regardless of the mileage covered as it states "which ever comes first" 24months or 40K

But Phil begrudges that, as he has to pay for their replacement when they still have plenty of life/use left...  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
I'm the same, I've had the car now for six months and I don't think it's done more than 400 miles in it since we've had it, but I have to abide by the servicing schedule if I want to keep the warranty active, what is painful is I have to pay to get it serviced when I'm a qualified mechanic that hurts. 

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Coolants and other fluids, I don't have an issue with as they age even when not being used, but a spark plug in an engine switched off, isn't being worn out.

Johnno is correct, which is why I say it's hard to stay in warranty, when low distances are traveled.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I have gotten out both service books from Bruce and Cyril(as I kept his)haven't got time tonight but both have in the service passport to change the spark plugs 45k or 36 mths which ever comes first.

also made a few phone calls today and the manuals I was given with our two are the ones issued from 2009 till 2012 for Australian Hyundai's,
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid

I disagree,

same applies to warranty on some manufactures, some give mileage and years, heres a example below read a couple of paragraph down. Lifetime warranty or 100000 miles which ever comes first

:link: 100,000 mile Lifetime Warranty | Terms & conditions - Vauxhall Motors UK

I can confirm that my spark plugs were changed at the second service - 24 months and 15796 miles.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I disagree,

But Phil begrudges that, as he has to pay for their replacement when they still have plenty of life/use left...  :undecided:
Once warranty has expired then change as you feel comfortable with

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

My car is in for its 3 year service next month.

Only got 10,500 miles in clock but will have schedule service per hy otherwise warranty will be void

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I have gotten out both service books from Bruce and Cyril(as I kept his)haven't got time tonight but both have in the service passport to change the spark plugs 45k or 36 mths which ever comes first.

also made a few phone calls today and the manuals I was given with our two are the ones issued from 2009 till 2012 for Australian Hyundai's,

Just confirming what Rick said....

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
Somebody is telling fibs..... But, Judy's maintenance book does clearly state 40,000 km, without a time frame.

It is not up to the consumer to interprate what Hyundai mean, or to contact them asking if maybe they've changed the conditions recently.

If it says 40,000km and the car has done less, then Hyundai should cover it, not refer to conditions that aren't mentioned in the only written information readily available for the consumer.

Just my take on it.
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Somebody is telling fibs..... But, Judy's maintenance book does clearly state 40,000 km, without a time frame.

It is not up to the consumer to interprate what Hyundai mean, or to contact them asking if maybe they've changed the conditions recently.

If it says 40,000km and the car has done less, then Hyundai should cover it, not refer to conditions that aren't mentioned in the only written information readily available for the consumer.

Just my take on it.
But there is a time frame if you look at the schedule she posted, 45000km's or 36 months/3 years...which ever occurs first, her car may have only done 38000km's but had also reached 4 and a half years being last serviced by a third party service centre who failed to replace the plugs so imo the third party service centre are the ones who are liable in this, nothing to do with Hyundai as far as I can see.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Just my take on it.

I think if you look closely somewhere in the book you'll propably find something like "due to changes without notice"
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal