i30 Owners Club

Broken Spark Plug - not changed during service - VOIDED WARRANTY?

JUDY · 177 · 42042

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: CraigB
But there is a time frame if you look at the schedule she posted, 45000km's or 36 months/3 years...which ever occurs first

I can't see where it says 36 months.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
Somebody is telling fibs..... But, Judy's maintenance book does clearly state 40,000 km, without a time frame.

It is not up to the consumer to interprate what Hyundai mean, or to contact them asking if maybe they've changed the conditions recently.

If it says 40,000km and the car has done less, then Hyundai should cover it, not refer to conditions that aren't mentioned in the only written information readily available for the consumer.

Just my take on it.

I think if you look closely somewhere in the book you'll propably find something like "due to changes without notice"

And how would the average Joe (or in this case, Judy) recieve notice of these "changes" without notice? Quite a Catch 22 isn't it.....

• 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Quote from: CraigB
But there is a time frame if you look at the schedule she posted, 45000km's or 36 months/3 years...which ever occurs first

I can't see where it says 36 months.
Sorry! I got the lines mixed up on the schedule and was reading the air filter replacement interval :head_butt:

After checking my own maintenance schedule my book say's 60,000kms or 48 months.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Somebody is telling fibs..... But, Judy's maintenance book does clearly state 40,000 km, without a time frame.

It is not up to the consumer to interprate what Hyundai mean, or to contact them asking if maybe they've changed the conditions recently.

If it says 40,000km and the car has done less, then Hyundai should cover it, not refer to conditions that aren't mentioned in the only written information readily available for the consumer.

Just my take on it.

I think if you look closely somewhere in the book you'll propably find something like "due to changes without notice"

And how would the average Joe (or in this case, Judy) recieve notice of these "changes" without notice? Quite a Catch 22 isn't it.....

She wont, unless she takes her car to be serviced at a Hy dealer or an indy that makes sure to use updated service schedule and not just look in the service book. It's not just Hy doing that....
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline JUDY

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Vic
Hi All.

When my car was fixed the mechanic (reputable) did a compression test and no problem with no3 or any others.  Just a broken spark plug.  Didn't take my preferred mechanic a long time to figure that out....well not as long as it did for Lilydale Hyundai to produce their report.  it's a mystery to me why my car hasn't completely curled up it's toes given that it hasn't had anything other than a service with new plugs and a compression test done???
  • 2010 i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi All.

When my car was fixed the mechanic (reputable) did a compression test and no problem with no3 or any others.  Just a broken spark plug.  Didn't take my preferred mechanic a long time to figure that out....well not as long as it did for Lilydale Hyundai to produce their report.  it's a mystery to me why my car hasn't completely curled up it's toes given that it hasn't had anything other than a service with new plugs and a compression test done???

Great news Judy! So the fix only cost you a service with new plugs + the towing and exploration costs at Lilydale?  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline JUDY

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Vic
Yes Dazzler.  Car all fixed for $99.  My main gripe with Lilydale Hyundai is that I felt they saw it as an opportunity to exploit and profit from my misfortune with the spark plugs not being changed and I still feel that the broken spark plug is bizarre.  I was just talking with my husband about it and he pointed out that the broken plug was in 3 and not in 4 as I think Hyundai stated in their response.  This further points to either ineptitude or complete fabrication of their response.  Poor, Poor, Poor customer service.  Best business models have at their heart that you shouldn't treat your customers with contempt and lack of respect.  Also don't think that the general public will believe any load of crap you try to tell them.  Lilydale and also Nunawading Hyundai (jointly owned) should view their reviews online because I believe bad reviews speak greater volumes than the occasional good one.
If wrong on any of the above I stand corrected?
  • 2010 i30

Offline JUDY

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Vic
Just wanted to add.  I have no idea what RACV Report they are talking about because my car was towed in by a private mechanic?????
  • 2010 i30

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
great news Judy, you should march back into them and tell them your findings and see what they have to say
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Thanks for the feedback, Judy. Good to hear you could get the car repaired at so low cost, but I do understand your frustration about Lilydale. Something doesn't add up here.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
Fantastic result, Judy.  :goodjob:
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
Hi Judy, good to hear your car is okay now. My workmate wasn't so lucky with his Ford Focus few years ago. He just changed new spark plugs to it, and the next day he noticed some nasty pinging sound coming from the engine. It turned out that the side electrode from one of the old spark plugs was missing, probably broken when changing them and went unnoticed until it was too late.

Inspecting the cylinders by an endoscope revealed lots of damage inside one of cylinders. With modern engines that means the whole block is ruined, because you can't bore the cylinders and rebuild with oversize pistons like in the good old days. He then found a replacement engine for it from a scrap yard.
  • 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
Judy the report mentioned a leak down test done on No4 and concluded air was leaking via No3.
Nothing more, so an inconclusive test.
The whole idea of leak down testing is to isolate a problem whether it be head gasket, leaking inlet or exhaust valves or blow-by.
To me their test was a waste of time as it proved nothing.
If your car had done the head basket, you would certainly know by now.
Leaky valves, can't comment as the test didn't give results, same for rings etc.
As for the whole sorry sage, I'd try to move on and forget it.
Car is out of warranty now and you seem to have found a reliable workshop for future servicing, so happy motoring.
(on NGK plugs)
  • i-30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the clarification Judy.  :victory:

Offline How I Roll

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Inala, Qld
I've seen this on 2 veloster turbos, poor fuel quality causing detonation and premature fatigue of the earth on theend of the plug. 1 was luckey the other one punched a hole in the exhaust valve, surprisinglytheturbo was okay.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks, interesting. ..

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I've seen this on 2 veloster turbos, poor fuel quality causing detonation and premature fatigue of the earth on theend of the plug. 1 was luckey the other one punched a hole in the exhaust valve, surprisinglytheturbo was okay.

Sounds like your in the industry.  Independent service center/garage?
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Probationary Hyundai master tech.

Do you know or aware of Tim?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: How I Roll
No, sorry. If a name or acronym?
It's an acronym.

The International Mastertech :whistler:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
No, sorry. If a name or acronym?

AKA cruiserfied on here

Here is write up on him:

:link: My writeup on GoAuto news
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline How I Roll

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Inala, Qld

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Probationary Hyundai master tech.

Nice.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline How I Roll

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Inala, Qld
Very impressive, i am really only at the start of my career, trained in Queensland.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Ahh, i have seen alot of his posts. I pop in here occasionally.

And now you've seen one more  :crazy1: :crazy2: :lol:
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal