i30 Owners Club

Rear wheel Knocking noise

aksel13 · 11 · 8662

Offline aksel13

• 1st Gear
I have got 2017 i30 and its developed a banging and knocking noise at left rear wheel. Its only doing when driving through potholes and broken road surface, not at humps. That makes me thinking that it will make the noise wherever there is no proper wheel contact with the road surface.

I visually checked many things that i could do myself and nothing seems loose. The suspension seems working as normal. I know its still under warranty and i can take it to the dealer as a last option but using the car every day for work hence i need it nowadays.

Has anyone had the similar symptoms?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Try check rear stabilizer link bars. That might fit to your description. Fairly common issue to cause clunks on uneven surface. Cheap and easy fix also...
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I found it was the anti-roll bar drop links when my partners car had an annoying knocking noise from the front suspension. I traced it by getting them to violently rock the car up and down. If it's at the rear, it may require standing on the boot lip and using it like a trampoline. If you can reproduce the knock then you should be able to trace where it's coming from. Just take great care where you stick your hand or head with the car bouncing around or you could end up with broken fingers or worse.

• i30 CRD

Offline aksel13

• 1st Gear
I guess i need to book the dealer soon as i can not make deep inspection at home.

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
It depends on your mechanic skills and tools you have, but replacing a rear drop link is quite an easy job that can be done after removing the road wheel. As well as jacking the car up to remove the wheel I would also support it on an axle stand. You don't need to get underneath the car. New drop links aren't expensive either, I wouldn't expect to pay more than £15 each in the UK. The others things I have seen that cause knocking are worn anti-roll bar bushes, and loose bolts where the top of the shock absorber in anchored.

The problem with the drop links is that it is normally under tension from the spring so it's not so easy to feel if there is play or slop in the ball joint. If you can bounce the car up and down so the tension is on and off, the movement in the joint will allow it to knock. It probably won't be enough to
see the movement but you would hear the knock, and feel it if you touch the drop link, but take care not to trap your hand.
  • i30 CRD

Offline aksel13

• 1st Gear
Thanks very good explanation. Not something i can do at home or street and while its still under warranty i booked the dealer foe a quick look. Its probably a loose component somewhere hidden or under spring tension as bouncing the wheel up amd down doesn't reveal the noise yet.

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
You're right, get the dealer to investigate if it's under warranty. I have also had knocking from loose wheel nuts which the dealer hadn't tightened up properly!

• i30 CRD

Offline aksel13

• 1st Gear
Just fo the future reference whoever seeks for information about this issue. My problem is the shock absorber was leaking been found by the dealer.

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I hope they replace it under warranty, or even both sides. I believe it is good practice to replace shock absorbers as a pair.
  • i30 CRD

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I hope they replace it under warranty, or even both sides. I believe it is good practice to replace shock absorbers as a pair.

Not only good practice.
It's unsafe to do otherwise.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline aksel13

• 1st Gear
I dont think they will replace both side
I suppose only one side. Luckily the warranty is gonna cover it otherwise i was going to be charged 115 for only diagnostic
Bloody hell.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal