i30 Owners Club

Diesel (auto) shudder/kangaroo low revs

gra502 · 65 · 32873

Offline gra502

• 1st Gear
Has anybody had a problem with shudder/kangaroo with their auto deisel?
This is not regular but has happened quite a few times now (over 3 months). Took it back to the dealer and they said nothing shows up as a fault on the computer. This only happens when you apply a very light amount of throttle (doesn't seem to matter what speed), as soon as you apply a bit more throttle the problem is rectified. I have noticed that on some cold start ups a small amount of deisel smoke  is evident ( we also have a deisel ix35 and have never seen or smelled this),Apart from that we are delighted with the car, although we don't get the amazing fuel consumption some of you are getting, we average around 6 - 6.2 with everyday driving of about 45mins each way to work( 70-80 kls/hr) which is still good.Hoping someone can help
cheers graeme

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
The manual CRDi does a similar thing if revs are too low in fifth.. Guess you just have to make sure you give it a few more revs..

Can't recall Auto owners complaining but there are plenty on here who will (hopefully) give you some feedback...WELCOME to the club by the way  :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

mick55
I had this happen once in my cw auto diesel. I had been using cruise control set at 110kph as I was approaching an intersection I cancelled cruise, I turned into the intersection, reached about 60kph then resumed cruise, rather than a gradual acceleration back to 110kmh I experienced what you did.  If I resume cruise from a higher speed this doen't happen, so it certainly has something to do with the revs. Hope this helps.

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
Just an idea  .....try some premium diesel (like Shell V-Power) for a fill up or else a little injector cleaner like Redex.

Offline gra502

• 1st Gear
Thanks for that, i rang another repairer and asked the question and he had not come across this problem and said it is one of these things that will need to get worse to track down, does any one notice a slight amount of diesel smoke at cold start up? (I have a IX35 diesel as well and it doesn't blow any)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

A slight amount of smoke at start up is normal. Significant amounts of smoke usually signifies a Glow plug issue  :cool:

Offline alan2938

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      South Yorkshire UK

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
The manual CRDi does a similar thing if revs are too low in fifth.. Guess you just have to make sure you give it a few more revs..

Can't recall Auto owners complaining but there are plenty on here who will (hopefully) give you some feedback...WELCOME to the club by the way  :happydance:

Dazz thats with the U motor the U2 has higher pressure injectors & the common rail is supposed to run at a higher pressure than the U motor  did. this new 6 speed i have has never once done that, & seems to have a much broader Torque delivery, so very smooth at low rev's.

this auto problem, sounds like torque converter not having a very high stall speed, probably do this to match diesel motor. the iLoad Diesel auto Van i drove for 300k two weeks back, experienced like a flat spot off the mark, but i got around that the way i opperated the throtle. i like driving manual trans with diesels the best.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
lakes

Huh, torque converter,,,,,, stall speed,,,,,, please explain!!  (no I'm not xenophobic) :P
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
hi 847563, not all auto trans these days use Torque converters, but the i30 auto's use them, they are good they build up torque.
To find the stall speed, you put one foot on brake and push down on throtle till the motor will not rev any higher & starts to push car forward. look at the tach to see what rev, thats your stall speed. normally i would expect 1,500 rev. but some go much higher.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Thanks for that, I have heard of torque multiplication b4 but not stall. I would never think of doing that to Lila or Ruby. (our cars)  :fum:

Offline daveybaby68

• 1st Gear
I got a i30 diesel 2.0 my car feels like it hesitates in first second gear then it fine. took back to garage they could not find anything wrong with it. nothing showed on computor. so had a tinkle with it myself and found the EGR valve was working but blocked with soot so took it apart and cleaned it, touch wood 4000k miles on its good as gold problem solved no hesitation and no black smoke
  • i30 premium 2.0crdi BOSE SOUNDSYSTEM

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Apart from that we are delighted with the car, although we don't get the amazing fuel consumption some of you are getting, we average around 6 - 6.2 with everyday driving of about 45mins each way to work( 70-80 kls/hr) which is still good.Hoping someone can help
cheers graeme

My trip computer usually shows @ 6.2 litres/100 & it's a diesel manual, but then I usually put @ 60 litres in when I fill it so I'm happy with that  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Knight4474

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Hi all, I have had my i30 for 6 weeks now and it has developed this strange problem as well.  I have the CRDi Auto CW and I have it running irregularly at about 1500rpm (which is 50 Kms) - each time about 2 - 3 minutes after a cold/coldish start this occurs (but not always) the engine travels along and holding the revs at 1500rpm, you start getting a chugging or jerking of the car.  A quick accelerate and the problem goes but when it settles down again and held around the 1500rpm, the issues shows up.  After the car has been running for 5 or more minutes the issue doesn't show itself.  I have had the car back to the dealers a few times with them finding now problems or issues. They say the glow plugs are fine and there is nothing showing on there computers.  They had suggested trying a different fuel, which I was using Coles, now on BP with some improvements but the problem is still there.

Being a new car, new to Hyundai and diesel, I'm getting disappointed in my purchase.

Can someone please help.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Knight and welcome..

Sorry to hear of your problem.. We have a petrol Manual and had a great run with our previous CRDi manual .. Hopefully with the help of our other friendly members we can get you sorted in time  :cool:

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
Hi all, I have had my i30 for 6 weeks now and it has developed this strange problem as well.  I have the CRDi Auto CW and I have it running irregularly at about 1500rpm (which is 50 Kms) - each time about 2 - 3 minutes after a cold/coldish start this occurs (but not always) the engine travels along and holding the revs at 1500rpm, you start getting a chugging or jerking of the car.  A quick accelerate and the problem goes but when it settles down again and held around the 1500rpm, the issues shows up.  After the car has been running for 5 or more minutes the issue doesn't show itself.  I have had the car back to the dealers a few times with them finding now problems or issues. They say the glow plugs are fine and there is nothing showing on there computers.  They had suggested trying a different fuel, which I was using Coles, now on BP with some improvements but the problem is still there.

Being a new car, new to Hyundai and diesel, I'm getting disappointed in my purchase.

Can someone please help.

See my post above - I had similar problem some months back with my i30 CRDi auto here in UK.  But I didnt describe it as precisely as you do above! 
All seems OK now since I started using occasional Shell Optimax fuel or (again occasional) injector cleaner additive (I used RedEx).  I usually use supermarket fuel rather than Shell or BP etc as it is a few pence cheaper per litre.
Please let us know how you get on as it is a shame if you are disappointed with your new car, and this might be so easily resolved.
Ed

Offline Knight4474

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Thanks Ed.

Over here in Australia, Coles (supermarket fuel) is from Shell Petrol stations.  I had been using Shell fuel only until this problem started.  I have tried BP, which to date has not improved things much.  I will try the injector idea and see how I go.

Question is, If Shell/Coles doesn't work, neither does BP, what else do people suggest for Australian petrol companies?

Funny thing I have found (if you call it funny, sad might be more correct) is that after each time I get the car back from the dealer after they report there is no issues, with in 1KM of leaving, the car plays up.

Thanks for your ideas people.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Next time you pick up the car, get the dealer to go with you then.

Coles diesel should be nice and fresh due to high turnover. If it's no good, I wonder if the fuel is actually a lower grade, wouldn't surprise me.

Offline Knight4474

• 1st Gear

• au Australia

Can someone please help.

Hi again.  I have been experimenting a bit with the car and have found that the fuel doesn't seem to make a difference nor injector cleaner, but, if I turn the A/C on when the car is jerking, it stops and runs smoothly, turn it off and the car resumes jerking.  I'm no mechanic but, could this be that the engine is revs are too low and that when you place some etc requirements, it runs smoothly?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I seem to remember an earlier post somewhere suggesting that the stealer (dealer) can apply a software update that fixes this problem.  :)

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
My car (2011 spec 1.6 CRDi auto in UK) - maybe I spoke too soon about injector cleaner!
A new fault started a few weeks back, and is getting more frequent.  Sometimes when driving gently between 40-50mph at approx 1500rpm (ie I guess in 4th) if the car labours (eg an incline) it seems to try but fail to kick down to 3rd, and instead the car judders /shudders quite vigorously. It is resolved by shoving the accelerator to force a kick down (and it then makes an untidy gear change) or by clicking the gearlever to "3" (when it makes a clean gearchange. Alternatively I have also noticed that when in 4th, if I stamp the accelerator so as to kick down then the gearchange is often jerky and after engine revs have climbed more than I recall.
This only seems to happen after car is run for 30+ miles - ie well warmed up. Gearbox oil is up to mark & clean - car has done just 16000 miles. I have not detected any other gear change quirks - ie for me it is just the change down from 4th to 3rd.  And of course - for the benefit of test drives with techies - it doesnt always happen.
There is a posting on another forum regarding uneven running @ 1500rpm (but maybe not same as I describe), and suggesting the EGR valve may be at fault, and also reports of such issues with the (similar) Kia Cee'd being addressed by remapping injectors (not sure what that means).
Booked in to dealer next week, who was talking of sniffing for fault codes and resetting the ECU's. However this is a (albeit very helpful) multi franchise dealer and from what the tech said I fear that they see few i30 autos. I will report back.
Ed

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Ed, your problem seems quite similar to Graeme's  :cool: Be interesting to see what they say...

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
Well - the car was in on Tuesday.  I understand that there was no fault code, they reset & relearned the ECU's (certainly the radio all needed re-tune so I suspect the battery was disconnected).  No indication that they picked up the clue about EGR valve that I offered them (very tactfully of course as it was from another i30 forum).

Car has had 1 longer run since.  Still struggles and judders at times to kick down from 4 to 3rd, symptoms may be very slightly different but still not right at all. 

I will try the AirCon trick next time it happens to help diags - this is said to disable the EGR valve.

So investigation continues.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I haven't heard of EGR cancelling b4. Can you please provide more info eg source & reliability of info :question:

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
Hi
Naturally I can't vouch for the source or reliability - it appears to me to have begun on a Kia forum, and of course in UK Kia's & Hyundai's share lots /have many similarities.
Will I be remiss to post the x ref of another forum?
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/197-i30-elantra-touring-forum/124862-diesel-automatic-gearbox-problem-2.html
However - EGR valve or not - I can see no harm in me trying to reproduce the symptoms that my i30 suffers, but with the air-con on.
Investigation continues .....
Ed

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

No problem with posting that link Ed  :goodjob:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Talking Hoarse

That was a very interesting thread you posted.  :undecided:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i wonder if the dealerships mechanics give a bit of spray to clean the egr once a year .  :confused:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I doubt it.  :(

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
Well - the car was in on Tuesday.  I understand that there was no fault code, they reset & relearned the ECU's (certainly the radio all needed re-tune so I suspect the battery was disconnected).  No indication that they picked up the clue about EGR valve that I offered them (very tactfully of course as it was from another i30 forum).
Car has had 1 longer run since.  Still struggles and judders at times to kick down from 4 to 3rd, symptoms may be very slightly different but still not right at all. 
I will try the AirCon trick next time it happens to help diags - this is said to disable the EGR valve.
So investigation continues.
Aircon trick (potentially disabling EGR valve) makes no difference to my cars kickdown /gearchange gremlin.  Its still happening, now more frequent and after shorter run, and also sometimes accompanied by a howl oe whistle.
Back to the nice people @ the garage tomorrow.
Ed

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal