Asterix · 50 · 28707

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Mine is 2008 (Korean built) and has a DPF

Thanks Steve - I stand corrected. However - I know of someone with a March 2010 Czech built i30 that does not have a DPF.  When my previous car arrived in September 2010 the dealer was not sure whether it would have a DPF - I was hoping it didn't - but it did.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
...the dealer was not sure whether it would have a DPF - I was hoping it didn't - but it did.

If I might just stray a little left of topic here, one of the three dealerships I've used for a service actually asked me if I had a DPF fitted, when I queried the semi/synth engine oil they'd filled her with. I had to pop the lid and point out the device to them.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I believe The u series engines got cpf built into the exhaust downpipe rather than dpf which is big and obvious near the Turbo.  surly no 2008 diesel i30 would have a dpf requiring regeneration.
BOTH  low smoke oil.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
...the dealer was not sure whether it would have a DPF - I was hoping it didn't - but it did.

If I might just stray a little left of topic here, one of the three dealerships I've used for a service actually asked me if I had a DPF fitted, when I queried the semi/synth engine oil they'd filled her with. I had to pop the lid and point out the device to them.

What a confidence booster.  :Shocked:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
My '09 in Australia doesn't have one and the new model Crdi that I looked at yesterday at the dealership didn't have one either.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
My '09 in Australia doesn't have one and the new model Crdi that I looked at yesterday at the dealership didn't have one either.

A DPF is necessary in Europe to meet the strict emission regulations applied here. Perhaps Australia does not have the same standards and a DPF is not necessary.

Do you Aussies suffer from irritating coughs by the way......... :whistler:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

A DPF is necessary in Europe to meet the strict emission regulations applied here. Perhaps Australia does not have the same standards and a DPF is not necessary.

Not personally, although there has apparently been an increase in the number of kangaroos and koalas with bronchial infections  ;)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

No, we have wide open spaces & intelligent population numbers. This is why all the convicts were laughing as they sailed past lands end.  :mrgreen:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
No, we have wide open spaces & intelligent population numbers. This is why all the convicts were laughing as they sailed past lands end:mrgreen:

.. until the Irish turned them round and said "it's the other way --->" :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Rogmur

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West London

• Our i30 With no one else around
Hello to everyone,

I found this interesting Website regarding DPF, hope it is useful.

http://www.aa-academy.com/Training/Learning%20Zone/Diesel%20Particulate%20Filter%20(DPF).asp

We have a 2010 1.6 CRDi with DPF and I often worry if I am taking the car for long enough journey's to burn off the soot.
Surely, if the i30 did not have a DPF installed the road tax (in UK) would not be £30?

Kind regards to you all

Rogmur :wink:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thank you Rogmur .. very interesting
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :whsaid:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Just an update on this thread.

2 weeks ago the dealer cleaned the DPF with something they call a "waterpipe". They put in some foam to dissolve the soot in the DPF, leave it for some hours and then flush it out. That didn't solve the problem.

The dealer have now replaced 2 temp/pressure sensors, 1 located in the turbo, and 1 in the DPF.

I have now done more than 100 km since this repair, and the engine control light haven't flashed yet. Before the repair the engine control light would have started flashing only a few kilometers after resetting the fault code.

The sensors cost around 300 EUR a piece, + all the hours they've spend locating the error and replacing the sensors. I'm not looking forward to receive the bill..  :blubber: :blubber:

I really hope this is the end of this  :scared:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline xreyuk

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Southport

• Seat Leon 1.6TDI CR Ecomotive Owner
It's quite common VAG cars for sensors to fail, however, these usually cause more regens.

I'm not sure how the Hyundai ones work, but the VAG cars do pre-planned regenerations anyway between 400-700 miles, regardless of soot content.

The only thing I would say, DPF's aren't usually covered under warranty. What a lot of the VAG group guys do is drive with the DPF until it gives them problems, and then have it deleted and given a remap to get rid of errors. That costs around £500 where as a new DPF costs easily over £1,000.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
It actually did regenerate more often than usual.

At last the engine control light started to flash, and I thought the DPF wasn't able to regenerate, but given the faulty sensors, it wasn't the DPF that was faulty, but I suspect the ECU to start the regenerating again and again due to wrong signals from the sensors.

Now 150 kilometers without flashing light..  :happydance:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
. What a lot of the VAG group guys do is drive with the DPF until it gives them problems, and then have it deleted and given a remap to get rid of errors. That costs around £500 where as a new DPF costs easily over £1,000.

What do you mean with deleted.. :question: Do they remove the DPF.. :question: If so, what do they do when it's time for the MOT.. :question:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Have now done more than 1500 km since the repair, including 200 km with the caravan, it's all fine.  :happydance:

(But I had to pay 1100 EUR / 900 GBP / 1360 AUD)  :blubber: :blubber:

If any of you guys ever have the engine controllight flashing, and a fast trip on the motorway doesn't solve the problem, make sure to have the sensors checked.

According to my local dealer they have never had this problem before, and neither had the Danish Hyundai service dept.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :faint: :fum:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That is a lot of money Asterix! (I guess I'm not telling you anything)  :(

You will need to keep the car another few year now to get your money back... :Pout:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal