i30 Owners Club

No power after 3000rpm

elbonp · 16 · 29866

Offline elbonp

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I have just bought a brand new 2012 FD i30 SLX CRDI 2 weeks ago, last Thursday I noticed no more power at 3000 rpm, thought it might have something to do with me sometimes forgetting to wait till glow light is out, Friday the car drove fine all day and then went out that evening problem was back but rectified itself after about 10 mins driving. Saturday went out in the car and problem is back and remains. Just will not rev past 3000 rpm and power dies off till you change gear, then same thing happens no matter what gear you are in! I think it may be an issue with the turbo, has anyone else had this issue or maybe enlighten me on what the problem might be?
Car will be going back tomorrow to have it sorted, just like to know if anyone else has had a similar/same problem.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome elbonp,

Havent heard of this one for a long time .. I doubt it is the Turbo.. This  happened to a few of our members with early i30 CRDi vehicles..

It was a fuel system / filter issue .. I will try and find a link to the very old threads so you can go to the dealer with all the info in case they are clueless  :whistler:

Here you go .. Three old threads in order of relevance..

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=2694.msg24680#msg24680

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=2878.msg27077#msg27077

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=216.msg1601#msg1601

Hope that helps ... :D

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Welcome elbonp to the forum.
Sorry to hear you're having issues but it looks like Dazz might have put his finger on the problem for you.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Welcome elbonp,

Yikes,

Brand new, 2 weeks old and need to go past 3k revs, sounds you're driving it like a petrol engine.  :Shocked:

• 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline elbonp

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Thanks Dazzler, sounds exactly the same as the problem I am experiencing and will let the service guys know.
847563, this is my first diesel powered car and am still getting used to it, mainly only exceed the 3000 rpm mark in 1st gear, so will take a bit of getting used to i think.
thanks all for the warm welcome and the good advice, much appreciated. :goodjob2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
No problems at all ..  :goodjob2: In the unlikely event you have any other problems don't be frightened to search or ask ...

Great car and a really lovely bunch of people on here ...So please don't become a stranger  :winker:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
@elbonp,

Driving a diesel is certainly different. We've had lours for about 12 months & we're sold on therm. Just for info, the Oz model produces 94 KW of power @ 4000 RPM,  but the very important thing is it produces 260Nm of torque @ 1900-2750. Torque is a form of pulling power, so you see, it's not necessary to goto 3k revs.

Here's the link to where I got the info from.

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/54236/2012-hyundai-i30-on-sale-in-australia

Offline Berocca

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia

• 2010 CRDi SX Man CC
Did you get a resolution to this problem from your dealer?

I have a similar problem; my vehicle has the 3000RPM limit issue when warm and also occasionally the engine cuts out altogether!  There is no engine warning light activating and the problem vanish's when the engine is restarted.

I've had it into my dealer and they allegedly found a shuttle unplugged - what ever that is, however the problem is still there.  After waiting 10 days to get the vehicle in the first time I am in the process of waiting for another two weeks to get it back in again!

Has anyone had a solution to these problems?  I'm guessing that it is fuel related, my car has 20,000 k on the clock so it is not yet ready for a service.
  • i30 CRDi

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Did you get a resolution to this problem from your dealer?

The 1st link Dazzler posted (above) seems to describe your issue, and resolution.

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=2694.msg24680#msg24680
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Berocca

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia

• 2010 CRDi SX Man CC
Hi Guys,

Just had a call from the dealer re. 3000rpm issue and occasional engine power loss and cut out.  The dealer told me that there is a bug in the fuel and that they need to drain the tank, flush the fuel lines and refill tank - for $600!

When I asked about the 'Bug' as to whether it was fungal or was it just particulate matter in the fuel they couldn't  answer straight away, after getting advise I was told that the bug was dirt.  I mentioned that in the two weeks that it took to get in for a service that I had put in some fuel system clear (Wynns) and I hadn't lost power or had the engine cut out, maybe I should run the tank down to near empty then change the filter - I was told this was not advisable, not sure why!

I just wish that I could trust the dealer, they told me that they had fixed the issue the first time that I took it in when they found the loose shuttle. 

I buy my fuel at the biggest supermarket owned fuel outlet in town so I guess if I have contaminated fuel then everyone else will too!

Has anyone else had issues with contaninated fuel?  I'm tempted to hold onto my $600 and invest in some fuel system cleaner and run the tank empty for the next few tanks.

Advise?

• i30 CRDi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
If it was my car I'd be holding on to the $600.00.

The expensive fuel filter should be more than capable of filtering "dirt" that's what it's there for.

I have just received a product today, that treats diesel fuel for "diesel bug" etc, because I want that type of protection too.
It is expensive, but 1lt treats 4000 lts of fuel, specifically fungal growth, water & acid.

Here is a link to the product for you to see.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=1153BD2D1DD28BCA!234&authkey=!AD0pOyNz9-0W41g

Of course, no additives can deal with particulates in fuel, not sure what they would be, could be rust from their tank if it has water in it I guess.

I would change the fuel filter and inspect to see if there is any captured material present, then take this to the garage and claim the cost of repairs.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 04:36:40 by Phil. »

Offline Berocca

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia

• 2010 CRDi SX Man CC
Many Thanks Phil,

I hope you have just saved me $530!  I rang Fuelmaster and told him of my situation.  The guy there told me that draining the tank was pointless as the bug was likely to live on.  He said his product would kill the bug and the fuel filter will remove the residue.  He said that this problem was getting very common in Australia.

The dealership to their credit emailled me some photos of the fuel and it did show some black growth consistent with some photos of fuel bug contamination that I found on the web.

They have mailed me out a litre of their product ($70) and didn't charge me any extra to get it sent express post.

I'll report back once I have used the product.

• i30 CRDi

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
How does one get this bug?

Is it in the fuel? or is in the old tanks of service stations (remembering that a lot of the Woolies/Coles petrol stations are quite old and have been re branded or taken over, so even the big boys could have old tank).
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
The bug is actually a fungus which can enter through the fuel tank breather pipes, it grows only on the layer where water and diesel meet. The fuelmaster removes the water (safely) which denies the fungus any food source to grow, so no fungus. When I asked about this when I joined the forum in 2011 the overwhelming majority of diesel users reported never having any problems at all, so I just thought I was being paranoid. You see, it is a well known fact that over time, water in the air that replaces the fuel in your tank, can condense overnight and cause the bug environment to exist. Today I received my 1lt of the product and will be using it as cheap insurance in the future.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Many Thanks Phil,

I hope you have just saved me $530!  I rang Fuelmaster and told him of my situation.  The guy there told me that draining the tank was pointless as the bug was likely to live on.  He said his product would kill the bug and the fuel filter will remove the residue.  He said that this problem was getting very common in Australia.

The dealership to their credit emailled me some photos of the fuel and it did show some black growth consistent with some photos of fuel bug contamination that I found on the web.

They have mailed me out a litre of their product ($70) and didn't charge me any extra to get it sent express post.

I'll report back once I have used the product.

That price covers express post in all of Australia :goodjob2:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
@Berocca,

Just considering your problem a little more. I would like to add these suggestions for you.

- It appears that you have diesel bug in your fuel. The additive supposedly does deal with this stuff, in particular, the water by safely combining it with the fuel molecules for burning. Now, our fellow member komaterpiller has posted pics of exploded injectors caused by water expanding to steam (not with fuel additive though), not a pretty sight and the injectors are about 1k each. Fuelmaster say the water passes safely, but as we know you have it and we don't know just how much there is, I would drain the tank myself, to remove as much as possible and refill with good fuel and additive as well.

There is an inspection plate under the rear seat and with the right syphon pump it shouldn't be too hard to do it yourself. You will save some $$$ and eliminate the contaminated fuel as well. Any contaminants in fuel lines would be processed within 10-15 minutes of running.

Just my thoughts FWIW.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal