i30 Owners Club

Drivers door will not open from inside

dolphin · 17 · 31040

Offline dolphin

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Hampshire
Hi, I gather that my wife's diesil i30 (2010) has a problem with the driver (only) door lock actuator as today she was only able to let herself out by opening the window and opening the door from the outside. Other electrical issues (i think) relate to the rear heated window, although it is difficult to test this now until winter. We have only had the car for 3 months.
  • Hyundai I30 (2010)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Other electrical issues (i think) relate to the rear heated window, although it is difficult to test this now until winter.

You can test mirror by putting the rear window heater on and if you place your hand near to the mirror glass you should feel heat coming from the glass.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome dolphin,

That's a bit disappointing .. back to the dealer pronto  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
Hi, I gather that my wife's diesil i30 (2010) has a problem with the driver (only) door lock actuator as today she was only able to let herself out by opening the window and opening the door from the outside.
Sorry to hear of these woes.  Take it to the dealer Dolphin - it should be covered under warranty until 5 years old.  My 2010 i30 had similar door fault - I gather that dealer replaced catch.  I couldnt leave it for 2 weeks until 3yr service + MOT as it would have failed MOT on that, but happily my dealer had part in stock (so maybe it has happened before?).
Sadly since my car door catch was attended, car has even more wind noise and yet another rattle - both from door.  Anyone know how to remove the trim panel (ie myself) to sort?
Goos luck with dealer and rest of the car Dolphin.
Ed

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

• Logan, Queensland (i30 CRDi)
My rear door has started to intermittently no open at all. I unlock the car and all the other doors open but not the rear. The child lock is not on. The door lock cannot be unlocked manually from the inside at all and it cannot be opened from the outside either.... odd!! It flickers (the lock inside) when I unlock the rest of the car. sigh
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Like dolphin says it would be sticky actuator. Fairly common in Hyundais and fixable under warranty.

Offline edwards1951

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Stafford
I have the exact same issue, drivers door won't open from inside i30 diesel 2010' don't know if I need new cable or cable and motor, all other electrics fine.
  • hyundai I30 diesel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I have the exact same issue, drivers door won't open from inside i30 diesel 2010' don't know if I need new cable or cable and motor, all other electrics fine.

Welcome to the club .. Only from the inside?

It is usually a sticky actuator (fairly common Hyundai fault fixable under warranty)

If that is the case though, would normally not open from inside or out (sometimes it can be intermittent too...) :cool:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Welcome to the forum, edwards1951.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline c0mbat

• 2nd Gear

• de Germany
      Kaiserslautern

• 2010 i30 1.6l CRDi Blue, 6 Speed
This happened to me a few days ago. There is a cable that is attached to the inside handle that had broken. I am unfortunately out of warranty. I paid 78 euros for a new catch assembly and cables. I had to remove the interior door panel, window glass and the metal pan that holds the window. It took me about two hours from start to finish. I'm a jet engine mechanic so it wasn't all to difficult, on a scale of 1-10 I'd say it was a 6. The dealer I went to knew exactly what I was talking about, which leads me to believe that this is a common occurrence. Especially since they had the part on hand, which I thought was odd.
  • 2010 i30 1.6 CRDi Blue, 6 Speed

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The dealer I went to knew exactly what I was talking about, which leads me to believe that this is a common occurrence. Especially since they had the part on hand, which I thought was odd.

Not that common with Korean built cars I would guess as not an issue mentioned by Aussie members very often. Not as common as a sticky actuator anyway.  :undecided:

:goodjob: For fixing it yourself ( i would be nervous about trying that) but I'm not a rocket scientist Jet Mechanic ...

Offline marti30

• 3rd Gear
Yesterday (Friday 6th September) I took my 2009.5 model year i30 to the dealer to have the alternator replaced. As part of a 'recall' (I think TSB is a the more appropriate term) they also did something to the driver's inside door handle which I believe involved a cable. It seems that an inoperative inside driver's door handle is a known problem which is being rectified. It's never been a problem for me though and perhaps now it never will be.
Another recall/TSB attended to at the same time was fitment of a headlight wiring kit. On my 119,000 mile rhd 1.6 u2 crdi the passenger side headlight bulb has blown twice. Perhaps this modification will mean bulbs last longer in future.
I wasn't expecting any other work to be carried out and left the dealer feeling quite satisfied.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Marti thanks for that very interesting (I wasn't aware of that door TSB?) and the headlight wiring kit is VERY interesting! (they have kept that one quiet) :undecided:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
There's someone here, that would most likely know about that wiring kit. :whistler:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline i30sean

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Hemel Hempstead UK
Mines been in today for the wiring upgrade to headlights but they also did the door cable, never had a problem with the door handle but as it was free had it done  :goodjob2:

i30sean

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Mines been in today for the wiring upgrade to headlights but they also did the door cable, never had a problem with the door handle but as it was free had it done  :goodjob2:

i30sean

You're on a roll mate  :happydance:

Offline Granadino91

• 1st Gear

• es Spain
      Spain
This happened to me a few days ago. There is a cable that is attached to the inside handle that had broken. I am unfortunately out of warranty. I paid 78 euros for a new catch assembly and cables. I had to remove the interior door panel, window glass and the metal pan that holds the window. It took me about two hours from start to finish. I'm a jet engine mechanic so it wasn't all to difficult, on a scale of 1-10 I'd say it was a 6. The dealer I went to knew exactly what I was talking about, which leads me to believe that this is a common occurrence. Especially since they had the part on hand, which I thought was odd.

Sorry, where did you buy the cable? I have it broken too and I don't find where I can buy a new one. I'm out of warranty and in Hyundai Official is very expensive

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal