i30 Owners Club

Replacement Clutch due to vibration noise (Was:Replacement Flywheel - 1.6CRDi)

Lorian · 61 · 28546

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I suspect this might be a controversial subject.

But my 1.6CRDi is booked in for a dual-mass flywheel replacement.

Controversial in that I see there has been some discussion in the past that appears to have concluded it doesn't have a dual-mass flywheel - I'll check in the workshop manual later.

Anyway the fault exhibits as slight increase in vibration at idle, and a very noticeable vibration and associated noise at 1800-2000rpm in 3rd,4th (and a little in 5th and 6th) when under load.

All hail the warranty, as the dealer says £2K to replace if I was paying, and the car has only a few months warranty left.

* note given the thoughts later in the thread its actually single mass I have modified the thread title *
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 21:06:10 by Lorian »

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I suspect this might be a controversial subject.

But my 1.6CRDi is booked in for a dual-mass flywheel replacement.

Controversial in that I see there has been some discussion in the past that appears to have concluded it doesn't have a dual-mass flywheel - I'll check in the workshop manual later.

Anyway the fault exhibits as slight increase in vibration at idle, and a very noticeable vibration and associated noise at 1800-2000rpm in 2nd,3rd,4th (and a little in 5th and 6th) when under load.

All hail the warranty, as the dealer says £2K to replace if I was paying, and the car has only a few months warranty left.

You lucky son of a gun  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I would be very interested in the outcome of this, as you said yourself, we have always been told the i30 came without the DMF

Good to hear the warranty covers the repair.  :goodjob2:

Pictures of the flywheel would be nice if you get the chance.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I was told by Hyundai head office that the 1.6 and 1.4 U2 engines were designed so that a dual mass flywheel is not necessary.

Also, Honest John is under the impression that the i30 and KIA Ceed do not have DMF's

This is about to get interesting.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

The Part Number is 23200-2A700

Here is a pic. Not so easy to find info online

:link: KIA CEE´D flywheel - D4FB-F - 232002A700 - build 2010 - 57197 miles | eBay
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 19:46:32 by Lorian »

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Anyway the fault exhibits as slight increase in vibration at idle, and a very noticeable vibration and associated noise at 1800-2000rpm in 2nd,3rd,4th (and a little in 5th and 6th) when under load.

You've got me worried, because my car has this exact issue.  I wouldn't call it a vibration as yet, but a loud low pitched hum that occurs usually under load (eg going up an incline) from about 1700rpm to 1900 rpm in mostly 2nd gear that i've noticed.

I always thought it was a peculiarity of the diesel engine as it encounters load just before the turbo starts working and hence hadn't thought it had anything to do with clutch or flywheel.

I've got no idea what the symptoms of DMF issues are so if anyone in the know can elaborate whether this should be mentioned to the dealer.

• MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Always worth mentioning to the dealer to get it on record, just in case.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I'd read a little on the net before i took it in, i was half expecting an engine mount issue and half some clutch related or turbo at the outside. Quite suprised at the dmf. Ive checked a few pics and given the £1000 price tag for the part new im convinced it does have a dmf.
They symptoms have become gradually more noticeable over the last few months. Usually a little worse at the end of a long run. There is a real resonant qualiuty to the noise,, its not like diesel chatter. The car used to idle dead smooth and now it lightly vibrates. Goes in when thge part arrives in a couple of weeks time. Ill try to photo te old part etc.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
So has the dealer confirmed the car does have a DMF?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

So has the dealer confirmed the car does have a DMF?

If it's anything like my local dealer they may not know.

I have just come off the phone from asking them again - and they say they have never had to change a 1.6 flywheel so they are not sure. They are however certain that the 2.0 litre engine in earlier models DID have a DMF.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Yes i was aware the 2l had one but was told 1.6 did not.

So has lorian really got a 2l with a 1.6 badge?

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

nope, its definitely a 1.6

I guess we'll see when I take it in.

When I've looked through cee'd forums for the same issue I've seen a couple reported - and they seem to get fixed by replacing the clutch and the geabox seals. Clutch action seems fine though.

It is of course quite possible service manager has it wrong, I just hope the tech doesn't. I can see it now, they open it up, find a SMF and need to replace  clutch that they don't have. then Lorian get's to drive a 1.2L IX20 for a week......

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

nope, its definitely a 1.6

I guess we'll see when I take it in.

When I've looked through cee'd forums for the same issue I've seen a couple reported - and they seem to get fixed by replacing the clutch and the geabox seals. Clutch action seems fine though.

It is of course quite possible service manager has it wrong, I just hope the tech doesn't. I can see it now, they open it up, find a SMF and need to replace  clutch that they don't have. then Lorian get's to drive a 1.2L IX20 for a week......

You should worry - my step daughter has a 1.2L i20 which I have driven. It is a fine car and surprisingly quite spritely.

You may get to like it so much that you trade the cripple in.......... :winker:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Surely, the flywheel is in a parts catalog, why so much doubt, it is either yes or no. :Dunno:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

What we need is a Hyundai technician to se this thread and look at the Hyundai service manual and parts list...... :whistler:

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
I've been down this track before. There is no way to tell from catalogue or w/s manual. Got to pull it to know.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I've been down this track before. There is no way to tell from catalogue or w/s manual. Got to pull it to know.
Thanks cruiserfied. Interesting that there's no documented way to check this. Cars are so bloody complex these days.  :disapp: I remember when the only complexity came from which brake hardware supplier had provided the hydraulics for my Datsun.  :-[
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Surely, the flywheel is in a parts catalog, why so much doubt, it is either yes or no. :Dunno:

Part number is listed above and ive looked at it in the catalogue and it has no mention of single or dual mass. Either way im sure they will be replacing it.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
If there isn't a pic available in the prts book, that's a bit poor IMO. A flywheel is nornally a big solid disk of metal with the only attachment being the ring gear.

A dual mass flywheel is a complicated multi component device such as the example below.

:link: 3D animation of dual mass flywheel - YouTube

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

In the parts book its a pretty poor explosion diagram that shows no detail.

I know the part number is right though, and here is the only picture I've been able to find of one with the right part number being sold on ebay:

Here is the parts diagram. For Hyundai's benefit I should say this is a link, as it's copyright material, and it is not hosted on the i30ownerclub.com forum. we are looking at the part under 23200B:

This also says its the same part:

« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 11:36:18 by Lorian »

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
All look single mass to me.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Post from March 2012

:link: Dual Mass Flywheel Problems

If that isn't a big enough worry for us diesel owners with cars that have dual mass flywheels - which includes the i30

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

So I hope they have properly diagnosed it is actually the flywheel anyway. I still suspect it's the gearbox seals like a few others have seen. At least they'll see that when they crack it open. I'll mention the dual mass comment when I take it in, it could well be the mechanic has said the flywheel needs replacing and the front desk guy has added the "dual mass" bit erroneously.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for keeping us in the loop Lorian .. interesting times!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Mac

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Newcastle upon tyne
Hello,

New member here but have been viewing this site for a while, the missus has an i30 1.6 crdi premium with this exact issue. Only had the car since august, great car but currently in "negotiations " with the dealer as to the cause. My first thought was dmf but dealer is adamant it doesn't have one.

Strong vibration from 1500 - 1900rpm which would appear to be when the turbo spools up, ours is 6sp and I believe it's the U2 engine as it has garrett turbo and is a 60 plate car. I would love to hear the outcome from this.

• FD I30 1.6 crdi premium 6spd 2010

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

my engine will be pretty much identical to yours - 6spd U2

Flywheel replaced, not had much chance to test yet, but my initial opinion is, its somewhat quieter, but not completely eliminated. No sure where that gets us.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

my engine will be pretty much identical to yours - 6spd U2

Flywheel replaced, not had much chance to test yet, but my initial opinion is, its somewhat quieter, but not completely eliminated. No sure where that gets us.

So - was it a DMF or not - we are all agog waiting........ :whistler:

Offline Mac

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Newcastle upon tyne
In my job I have the opportunity to drive a lot of diesel cars at speed, and to be honest the only other engine I've noted this characteristic as being present is another smaller ( sub 1700cc) capacity diesel from vauxhall.

When this vibration happens on our i30 it's as though the boost from the turbo should be more aggressive but its bogging down. I know the Boost on the 1.3 cdti vauxhall engine feels more aggressive than the i30 but the i30 is certainly quicker jumping from one to the other.

Surely someone somewhere must have had this issue and resolved it, I'm looking forward to the result of the flywheel change.
  • FD I30 1.6 crdi premium 6spd 2010

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I never did find out, I was late collecting.

I've noticed its quite stiff to get into first now, so I'll look at the linkages later.
I've noticed the vibration at idle has definitely reduced.

The noise is still there at 1800rpm, but less, and the vibration is less, but definitely not completely gone away.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal