i30 Owners Club

2010 i30 Diesel Transmission Vibration

Chin Ho · 159 · 50842

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
This is just my 2c worth:-

Your car can still be towed without the gearbox fitted.
Your bill for removal of the gearbox would presumably be half of the $1300.  They (SCM) have been utter rissoles from what you have said. I wouldn't give them a cent more than I had to.

You could pay the balance of the $1300 to someone else who (hopefully) won't stuff you around like these people have..

The worst case scenario is if you have to go back to these people for a claim.

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
Well, I have my car back and so far no vibration or squeal.  Time will tell.

I was told another lie today: One of the jobs they had to do was to adjust the boot as one side is 2-3mm different to the other side.  Well, they told me they fixed it.  I didn't get to inspect it when getting the car, but get home and look at it - nothing has changed!

They also said that adjustments like that are not covered by warrant but fixed anyway, yet before I took the car in HY said that it is covered. 

I might as well do the job myself so that I know it will get done.  Only thing is the nuts are above the head lining, which requires removing the side trim to gain access.  No real problem I guess.

When I get a chance on Friday I will be putting a formal complaint into them, HY and Fair Trading. Also will be inspecting the old parts and trying to put a claim in to HY.

In all, the advantage of an auto is that there is no grey area of what is not covered and what is when it comes to warranty with them (not like the clutch in a manual).

Oh, and they couldn't find a problem with the cruise control either, yet driving on the freeway from them (on the same road they tested on) I had the problem straight away!
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Well my car is almost out of warranty and I'm not sure whether to get worried reading this thread.

As many of you are aware I did kick up a fuss about this vibration issue in 3rd gear from low revs about 9 months ago. They did pull apart the clutch, and diagnosed it as an out of balance flywheel and replaced only that. It did not change the problem at all. They admit that.

They then said my clutch was partly worn and would I like to pay for that. Now I've never needed a clutch replaced due to wearing out in any of my cars and didn't think at 65,000km that this was the issue so I declined. I think obviously a new clutch would have solved the problem even without it being a friction plate issue.

I read with trepidation about the hassle everyone has to get this fixed under warranty.

I main issue is that the vibration is minor. I can definitely bring it on but that means changing into 3rd early and giving it a good amount of throttle. Otherwise I can drive around it at present. I suspect Doggie1 has the same issue in his GD but like me drives around it and it doesn't bother him.

The only other thing I've noticed is a bit of a clunk on gear changes as I start pressing the accelerator (not with the actual change in gear) again particularly if it is at low revs. It's like a play or looseness in the drivetrain.

Could this be the loose springs in clutch as mentioned earlier in this thread?

My question is with 1 month length of warranty should I kick up a fuss, or live with it. My only worry is things getting worse. I also suspect with the previous report of partially worn clutch they'll say that's the culprit and ie won't cover under warranty.

What should I do?
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Con,

I think I would just live with it. I think you would just be causing yourself a lot of stress without getting any positive result.

P.S. Please don't try and sue me if it all goes pear shaped (I'm not a qualified mechanic!) :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Personally, if I could live with it, I would, but I'm not like that. However, I wouldn't bother going through all the hassle of dealing with HY and the arguments and disruption. I would pay for a new clutch NOT OEM and have that fitted when it becomes too noticeable to ignore. There are better brands out there. Yes it will cost you, but it should not fail for a long time after.

Either the above, or sell the car.  :undecided:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Personally, if I could live with it, I would, but I'm not like that. However, I wouldn't bother going through all the hassle of dealing with HY and the arguments and disruption. I would pay for a new clutch NOT OEM and have that fitted when it becomes too noticeable to ignore. There are better brands out there. Yes it will cost you, but it should not fail for a long time after.

Either the above, or sell the car.  :undecided:

I couldn't agree more with what Phil has said! And I also could not live with the fault.

It would be fabulous to get to the bottom of these diesel transmission vibration issues.

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
@constipated it's a big decision.  And they won't be able to confirm what the problem is until they take hours to pull apart the car.

Out of interest with mine: it also had a click/clunk on occasions, eg: in 1st driving up to a speed hump and releasing accelerator to go over it would click.

Now with inspecting the clutch all the springs are solid - not loose.  There are 2 solid cylinders inside 2 opposite springs, while the other 2 springs have a smaller spring inside.  I will try post a video during the coming weekend.

So really, I'm not totally sure what was causing the vibration in the end - was it the clutch friction plate or the flywheel out of balance (which has now been machined)?  This is what has confused me when they pulled the clutch out as it didn't have the signs of what others have had.

I could try and spin the clutch plate up to 2,000 rpm and see if I can see anything happening.

In the end, it would have been good if they could have said from the start that it is the clutch and it definitely isn't covered by warranty, as I would have just said thanks and be on my way (and replace it myself).

In a way, there's something to say about autos - there is no grey area in regards to warranty with the engine and gearbox.
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
With autos especially the old 4 speed there have been arguments with Hy about the valve replacement, but generally they replace under warranty. Autos do cost a lot more to fix when they go wrong. :'(
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal