i30 Owners Club

2012 stock speaker upgrade

brodie · 55 · 22853

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Robbo123

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia

• 2012 Hyundai i30 Elite
i ended up going the JVC, they were $79 a pair, x 2, (they sound alot better then the stock) and the sub was a Fusion 10' tube with built in amp...its pumpin, problem is, i dont really have any doof doof music haha- *hmmm delta goodrem doesnt really shine through my speakers...* ha - laugh it up

speakers -->> http://www.jvc.com.au/car-av/speakers/drvn-speakers/cs-v627
sub/amp -->> http://www.fusionelectronics.com/car/products/active-enclosures-cs-series/cs-10-Active-Tube-Enclosure

How did you secure the sub in the boot? I'm very interested in your setup and might go down the same path :) Did you do the install yourself (or can recommend anyone that does them?) I'm guessing the rivets had to be drilled too?

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA
I am also looking for speaker replacement.
For those who have done it, is it a big job?
And does the door panel have to be removed in order to replace them?
REGARDS
  • 2010 i30 diesel SX auto

Offline Nickoss

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
lol -
the HU in the new i30 is the 7inch nav unit.. i dont think many people know much of it yet, i dont know how it handles with anything but stock speakers.

i pulled off the trim thisevening, and its basically the same as stock setup for previous gen i30, with paper type speakers...

the set im looking at
are a 6 in JVC model, around $79 a pair... from what iv seen reviews seem good...??

lets remember again a little bit this subject,is that a tweeter or my eyes imagine that?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/849/imag0009vs.jpg/
I can also see a Very good insulation in the door,good quality well done hyundai :goodjob:

« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 10:11:46 by Nickoss »
  • i30 mkII

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I much prefer good quality sound rather than just high volume. The speakers in the 2012 i30 are high quality and fill the cabin with enough undistorted volume to satisfy my needs - even though I wear hearing aids to amplify the higher frequencies.  My wife is a music lover with excellent hearing and always plays music in the car. She claims the sound quality is the equal of our Bose surround sound hi-fi in the lounge.

My hearing loss is probably because of industrial noise exposure and one of my grand daughters has profound hearing loss as a result of working in a club where the volume of the music rattles your teeth. She is 28 and now has to use hearing aids when not at work. I have no doubt at all that many thousands of today's youth in later life are going to regret filling their cars with big amplifiers and speakers. Once you damage the sensitive bits of your ears - and it is easier to do than most people recognise - there is no going back. 

Welcome to the deaf world where tinnitus and muffled sound reins supreme. 
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

And the first signs are not being able to hear singular conversations in a noisy location.
I certainly have that issue. Someone can be standing right in front of me, talking to me, but if there is a lot of background noise I have difficulty hearing them.  :(
  • Tertius the i30

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

And the first signs are not being able to hear singular conversations in a noisy location.
I certainly have that issue. Someone can be standing right in front of me, talking to me, but if there is a lot of background noise I have difficulty hearing them.  :(

Hear, hear!!!!!.............. :whsaid:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Hmmm, I feel old now. I have just the same problems as you, and I'm only 40.... :scared:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Hmmm, I feel old now. I have just the same problems as you, and I'm only 40.... :scared:

I have the same problems as Dave and I am only 56 ! :winker:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I have the same problems as Dave and I'm only 54.  :lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I have the same problems as Dave and I'm only 57..............but I also have dyslexia. :whistler:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I think you're all stalking me....  :scared: :sweating:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Timlin

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
lol -
the HU in the new i30 is the 7inch nav unit.. i dont think many people know much of it yet, i dont know how it handles with anything but stock speakers.

i pulled off the trim thisevening, and its basically the same as stock setup for previous gen i30, with paper type speakers...

the set im looking at
are a 6 in JVC model, around $79 a pair... from what iv seen reviews seem good...??

here is inside door pic

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

and speaker itself

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hey mate

Great post, very informative! I'm looking at upgrading the speakers in my 2011 i30 SR Hatch, but I'm a bit intimidated at the door trim removal and subsequent refit.

Are they difficult to remove and refit? Did you or will you upgrade the speakers in your car? If so, what with?

I'm very curious to learn more about the possibilities here, but I'm a little nervous too!

I appreciate your time!

Rgd's

Andrew

• 2011 5 door i30 SR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Brodie hasn't been on for 2 weeks but hopefully he will see your post Tim  :cool:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi Andrew

Here's a photoguide on how to remove the front door cards. Backdoors should be same procedure.

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=570.msg4428#msg4428
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Timlin

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Thank you so much! I appreciate your time a great deal!

Take care...

Rgd's

Andrew
  • 2011 5 door i30 SR

Offline RossC

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
So, after first reading this post I decided I wanted to upgrade my stereo too..
I originally wanted a small amp and a 10 inch sub, and some nice speakers for the front... but then I got carried away..

I ended up installing Dynamat Xtreme inside all four doors on the inside of the outer panels and also behind the door skins, in the boot lid same deal, and through the wheel well, up the sides of the boot etc. I also installed Dynaxorb pads behind the factory speakers to stop sound reverberation. This took at least a box of ciders and a week (after work and all of Saturday) to complete.

Just by doing that, the factory speakers all of a sudden had loads more mid bass and were louder and clearer than before. Probably also due to the fact that the Dynamat cut out quite a bit of road noise. I used to be able to clearly hear the reverse camera operating but it's now all but silent.

Then I had fitted:
A 160watt x4 RMS @2ohm (90watt RMS @4ohm) amp,
A 1550watt x1 RMS Mono block subwoofer amp,
2 x 500watt RMS (1000watt peak) 12 inch subwoofers,and an Audison Bit ten D, digital signal processor..

For the time being, I have just amplified the factory 20watt RMS speakers. I had the system tuned by FHRX Studio's here in Sydney and even with the factory speakers, the sound quality is AMAZING! Theres a stack more mid bass now that the speakers are amplified and no distortion (unless you get carried away with the volume), as the gains on the 4 channel amp are set quite low and the signal processor is sending all the bass below 100hz to the subwoofers instead of through the factory speakers.

The sat nav unit has all the equaliser functions turned off (bass, mid, treble set to zero) in order to send a pure, un altered signal to the processor, which then feeds the amps their signal.

To tune the system, FHRX studios plugged their laptop up to the audison processor via a usb and played a cd that sounded like a bunch of hissing to me.
They then closed the car up with a special microphone mounted at the height of the drivers ears, and used a meter outside of the car that showed you which frequencies were louder and which were quieter. They adjusted them accordingly with the 31 band eq on the laptop until the sound in the car was perfect at all frequencies.

Finally, they set up the signal delays for several different listening positions. Because the subs are at the back of the car, it takes milliseconds longer for the sound to reach your ears than the front speakers, and it takes slightly longer for sound from the passengers speaker to reach your ears than the sound from the drivers speaker. Same deal with the rear speakers. The way they have adjusted the delays on each individual speaker makes it sound like you're sitting directly in front of a stage, and in the drivers seat the sound comes from directly in front of you. In the passengers seat however, its as if the sound is coming from out the passengers window. Not to worry, they set another mode for when I have other people in the car too.

After hearing the factory speakers properly tuned, it may be a better idea to spend your money on a signal processor and an amp than new speakers. For anyone who lives in Sydney, you're welcome to have a listen, you'll see what I mean. :)

There's a remote for the processor mounted below the stereo which allows you to adjust most main points of the system including sub volume and change the listening position etc.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
If you carry all that around in the car, what do you have at home  :faint:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline RossC

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
If you carry all that around in the car, what do you have at home  :faint:

A system that got me a not so nice letter from the council a few weeks back. Still trying to figure out which neighbour it could have been :)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Thought so.  :snigger:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Ross, be nice to see some bigger pix hosted via photobucket or similar (please) tutorial in welcome section (attachments are easy lost if the site crashes)  :cool:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal