i30 Owners Club

Bleeding the brakes

Offline naser_1998x

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester

• Hyundai i30 2011 CRDi Automatic
Hey guys, I have a Hyundai i30 2011 FD 1.6. I want to bleed the breaks on it, however, which wheel do you recommend to start with first? every person on youtube says something different. Also, do you recommend the one person method or the two person method? Which is the most safest?
And is DOT 3 better than DOT 4 break fluid or scrap all that and get the genuine Hyundai brake fluid?
And is there torque specs for the screw that you take off to bleed the valve?
Many thanks
  • Hyundai i30

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
According to repair manual the bleeding order in i30 is:
1. Rear right
2. Front left
3. Rear left
4. Front right

I've always used 2 person method (as it is so easy if there is second person available) and dot 4. Dot 4 has higher boiling point than dot 3.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
1. Rear right
2. Front left
3. Rear left
4. Front right

I've always used 2 person method (as it is so easy if there is second person available) and dot 4. Dot 4 has higher boiling point than dot 3.
Left hand drive or right hand drive?
The method I've always used has been work from the wheel farthest from the master cylinder. If this method is used, obviously it matters whether or not the master cylinder is moved when the steering column is.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Location  is same for all. Have you checked out the setup we have? Our pedal is like a driving school slave setup where our pedal is attached to a steel tube that's mounted across the bulkhead and attuates the master which is mounted in front of the passenger.  LHD would be a traditional pedal box I suspect
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Location  is same for all. Have you checked out the setup we have? Our pedal is like a driving school slave setup where our pedal is attached to a steel tube that's mounted across the bulkhead and attuates the master which is mounted in front of the passenger.  LHD would be a traditional pedal box I suspect
I thought that was the case on my FD but couldn't remember for sure.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline naser_1998x

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester

Which brand of dot 4 do you usually use?
  • Hyundai i30

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
1. Rear right
2. Front left
3. Rear left
4. Front right

Left hand drive or right hand drive?
The method I've always used has been work from the wheel farthest from the master cylinder. If this method is used, obviously it matters whether or not the master cylinder is moved when the steering column is.

With previous cars I also used the distance method. It was a new thing for me with i30 to bleed front left before rear right. Could it be that first two are in the same brake fluid circuit? I would guess the distance method works with i30 also...
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I've never thought much about the sequence, just went ahead. Make sure to bleed at least 0,25L at every wheel.

I always just do it by myself. When I have to have the brake pedal hold down to the floor I use a piece of wood or whetever handy, to place between the brake pedal and the seat, then slide the seat forward. Now brake pedal is at the bottom and you can get out to close the bleeder screw.

Which brand of dot 4 do you usually use?

Doesn't matter, just make sure it's DOT 4
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline naser_1998x

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester

A good video is this: . He shows you the two methods one with the one person method (near the end) and the other is with the two person method. And it seems like the one person method is much easier than the two.
Also, you don't have to do that thing with the chair your to close the bleeder.
Look at how he does it on his own.
Maybe your life would be easier the next time you bleed the breaks?
  • Hyundai i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Some good info in this thread. Maybe i will move it to non model specific and Pin it!  :idea:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline alaster

• 1st Gear

• Toowoomba Qld
rear the farthest from  reservoir  then next should be drivers side rear then passenger side  rear divers front  passenger front  dot 4 fluid   
  • 2012 i30 sx crdi

Offline naser_1998x

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester

alaster do you know the diameter of the bleeder head? So a vinyl tube can fit over the head tightly without letting air in?
  • Hyundai i30

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
alaster do you know the diameter of the bleeder head? So a vinyl tube can fit over the head tightly without letting air in?

Hoses for windscreen washer system normally fits. Buy the clear type so you can see if there's air in the system.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline zi0101

• 1st Gear

• dk Denmark
      Copenhagen
always bleed the whell there is longest distance to the brake fluid container in the car.

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
Everyone on here has nailed it pretty much. I always use DoT 4 fluid, and buy a litre, and use it all up. Start by siphoning as much of the old fluid as you can out of the fluid reservoir, probably about 200ml. Re-fill with fresh fluid. Before starting to bleed, go around each bleed nipple with a tight-fitting socket, just to loosen them off. You don't want to find one that's seized up and you then round the corners off with an open-ended spanner. I used a glass jar with a strip of tape down the side which I marked in 100ml increments.

With the help of a second person to pump the pedal, I drained about 150ml from the rear left, then 200ml from the front right, then 150ml from rear right, 200ml from front right, another 50ml from rear left, by which time your bottle of fresh fluid should be almost empty. Bleed enough from the rear right so that the level in the reservoir is at the MAX mark with all the fluid used up. I don't keep partially-filled bottles of brake fluid as it can absorb moisture over time. Obviously, the fluid level will go down as the brake pads wear, but I've never found it dropping anywhere close to the MIN mark.
  • i30 CRD

Offline Bob.W

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Coffs Harbour
As an interesting sidenote, I found that you can often pick up the technically superior DOT 5.1 fluid cheaper than DOT 3 / 4 - I believe this is as folks get unsure about compatibility.

DOT 5.1 is compatible with anywhere DOT 3,4, Super 4 fluids are needed - but it is NOT to be confused with DOT 5, which is NOT compatible.

Bit of a shitty naming process there IMHO - and this seems to fool folks but keep your eye out as I've gotten branded 5.1 cheaper than the entry level DOT3 and can only put this down to folks being unsure about it.

Also many DOT 5.1 makers are silly in not labelling their product as compatible with the other gradings - whereas Penrite DO THIS.
  • 2017 PD 5 door hatch, diesel 1.6lt, auto

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal