i30 Owners Club

HOW TO: Change the diesel oil filter

Guest · 17 · 26448

Steve Roe
Here's a link to what I did yesterday, photo's comments etc.
Hope you can access it. Copy and paste it into your web address bar

https://sites.google.com/site/instroe/i30-filter-and-oil-change

Regards
Steve

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Further discussion here :)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Blackhyundai

• 1st Gear

• dk Denmark
      Herlev
Hey Roe,
Appreciate your documenting efforts with the great pictures. very informative. Thanks
  • Hyundai i30 1.6crdi 2012

Offline Aughy

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Northern Ireland
My motor is now 5 years old and shortly out of warranty. Its a 2012 I30 Blue diesel 1.6. Active I have decided to do an oil change myself and it appears fairly similar to the model above except mine is the newer one.

I decided to use big name companies for the bits I need. I have bought  5 litre of Halfords 5w30 oil recommended by them for my car. I have ordered an oil filter from Unipart. It pictures an extra ring which I dont know what its for. The large sealing ring the small one for the tip of the plastic mounting arm plus a washer for the sump. Whats the 4th one for?

PIC BELOW

Also ive discovered there are no bolts holding the engine cover in place on my model. It just lifts off. I measured the bolt top of the filter and it is 27mm and has 35NM embossed on it. I believe that's the amount of torque needed to replace it. Also the solenoid is in a different location and does not interfere with what I want to do.

I will photograph my progress with this and duly post the result

Any help identifying the extra part in the filter pack greatrfully recieved.
  • 2012 I30 Blue Active Diesel 1600

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I did mine recently and same, the solenoid that was supposed to be in the way was not there. The extra washer I believe is for the sump plug.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Aughy

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Northern Ireland
The large ring is easy it goes in the groove on the holder and the metal one (appears whitish in the picture bottom right) for the sump plug.

The two smallest rings are rubber one is slightly larger and thinner than the smallest one. I thought there was just one of these to replace on the tip of the plastic filter guide so if someone can enlighten me if both are required and where the extra one goes I would be truly greatful.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 22:19:24 by Aughy »

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Only 1 ring is required. Perhaps there are 2 types of oil filter insert.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Aughy

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Northern Ireland
Thanks Phil. I will be doing this tomorrow. I might do a few pics and put them on here.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I did mine and there were spots for both rubber rings.

Offline Aughy

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Northern Ireland
Well I completed my oil change today and have done a PDF of how I did it on my 1.6 diesel blue active. I uploaded it to Mediafire file sharing site. Just click the green download button top right to download. Hope it is useful

http://www.mediafire.com/file/i8spa8wk66lrxns/Hyundai+Active+I30+CRDI+Oil+Change.pdf
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 01:56:32 by Aughy »

Offline Aughy

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Northern Ireland
I did mine and there were spots for both rubber rings.

The smaller fatter one went on the tip of the filter holder spindle. Where did you put the slightly bigger one as I never used mine?

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Not sure I can remember but I think it was further down the spindle. ;)

Offline Aughy

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Northern Ireland
I think yours may be a different model to mine.

Also the "How To'" I gave a link to above for my oil change PDF dosent work under Android so I include that new link to the PDF download to fix that problem. Just click the green "Download" button to get tmy oil change  PDF for 2012 diesel models onwards on Mediafire sharing site:

http://www.mediafire.com/?i8spa8wk66lrxns

Original link:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/i8spa8wk66lrxns/Hyundai+Active+I30+CRDI+Oil+Change.pdf
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 11:13:38 by Aughy »

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I've never figured out where one of the two smaller o-rings fits. The fat one on the end of the stalk holding the filter cartridge is easy enough to find, but where the skinnier o-ring fits is anyone's guess. I fill up with a single 5-litre can of oil, which takes it up to the full mark on the dipstick. When it has been serviced at the dealers, I usually find it's above the mark, so I have little confidence in the 5.3 litre recommended capacity. On one occasion I took the car back the next day and insisted they drain off the excess oil.
  • i30 CRD

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I've never figured out where one of the two smaller o-rings fits. The fat one on the end of the stalk holding the filter cartridge is easy enough to find, but where the skinnier o-ring fits is anyone's guess. I fill up with a single 5-litre can of oil, which takes it up to the full mark on the dipstick. When it has been serviced at the dealers, I usually find it's above the mark, so I have little confidence in the 5.3 litre recommended capacity. On one occasion I took the car back the next day and insisted they drain off the excess oil.
At what point do you check the level?  After a run or straight after you tip the fresh oil in?

I've always found mine to take the extra 0.3

There's only the 1 small thick O-ring on the bottom of the stalk in the cap and the large cap-ring,
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I check the oil level when the engine is warm, and after having stood for at least 10 minutes to allow the oil to run back down to the sump. On level ground, naturally.
  • i30 CRD

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I check the oil level when the engine is warm, and after having stood for at least 10 minutes to allow the oil to run back down to the sump. On level ground, naturally.
fair enough. I'll have to have a closer look next change hot and see if it's too high just in case.  :goodjob2:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal