i30 Owners Club

Cabin Pollen Filter

Mark65 · 11 · 6273

Offline Mark65

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Hi,
After a couple of cold days I noticed the condensation on the windscreen was bad, even the AC would not clear it till the engine started warming up, I read a dirty filter can cause this so I took mine out today, it was allegedly changed 6 months and 4k ago by the dealership and it was black.
I checked the code and asked the dealer and they said the filters a white and said they did change it ( I call bollox on that) and wanted over £30 for one, I said your willing to loose all my servicing and MOT`s over that?.
They still would not budge, ive ordered a Mann filter for £16 charcoal impregnated.
Anyway here's the image I took, see if you think this is right for a 6 month old filter in rainy UK.
  • i30 CRDi

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
When was it last changed?

I had mine changed in Aug and it was Persil white.

The previous one was some 3 yo and looked whiter than yours.....

Only changed as it was included in the service cost otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

I'll check mine tomorrow and feedback.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Mark65

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Supposedly changed on the major service I paid for in July this year, 6 months and 4k.
Dealership said its normal and I said no way, I used to change my own on my last car every two years and it was never like that not even half that.
It worries me as they said the fuel filter had been done, not sure now, be glad when the warranty is out then I can go back to doing it myself.
  • i30 CRDi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Supposedly changed on the major service I paid for in July this year, 6 months and 4k.
Dealership said its normal and I said no way, I used to change my own on my last car every two years and it was never like that not even half that.
It worries me as they said the fuel filter had been done, not sure now, be glad when the warranty is out then I can go back to doing it myself.

:disapp:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I'd go elsewhere already just on principle. :disapp:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
When was it last changed?

I had mine changed in Aug and it was Persil white.

The previous one was some 3 yo and looked whiter than yours.....

Only changed as it was included in the service cost otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

I'll check mine tomorrow and feedback.
Checked mine, sorry no picture, and still snow white.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
it could potentially be 4K old, they can mess up quite quickly.

I usualy check the filters on collection after service if they were due to be replaced.

Its always worth checking the parts on the invoice too - I've spotted a failure to replace brake fluid that way.

Offline Mark65

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Hi,
They did charge for it, I got A Mann Charcoal impregnated one for £16, i held them both in front of my face and blew through them, not much through the old one but plenty through new.
It is much better with flow inside so I will wait for a frosty morning to see if the AC work better at clearing.

Lorian, I've never seen any of my replacements get that dirty in fact they were not far of still like new but I changed them anyway as they weren't dear for the Almera, next service is an oil and filter change for its last year  of warranty so I will by Hyundai filter and the Shell recommended oil and take to a garage I can trust, the Hyundai dealer I used wants £160 for an oil change (minor service), and the cabin filter is yearly I believe.

Mark
  • i30 CRDi

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Another option would have been to purchase a K&N cabin filter and you wouldn't have to buy another one ever, just give it a clean once a year :)

Aside from not needing to be replaced the K&N filter has a far superior airflow, I used to always have the fan running at the 2nd or 3rd speed setting and now I rarely need to go above the 1st speed :)

Offline Mark65

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Hi,
I have been using the aftermarket Mann cabin filter for a few weeks now and  the condensation problem seems to be almost non existent (fingers crossed), I've had a tiny bit that clears quickly without the aircon and that's temps a -2 so far.
If it stays clear I will just change the filter every 6-12 months for the sake of £16 and its a charcoal one.
Might be something to try if you have the same problem, the Mann filter has less pleats but seems heavier in the material.
Craig, Im not sure if the K&N filters the crap as well though.

Mark
  • i30 CRDi

Offline Endeavor

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      BC
I cant see the oic well but if it is a charcoal it co.es gray as new.
  • 2012 Elantra Touring FD 2.0 Auto

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal