i30 Owners Club

2011 FD i30 1.6 crdi diesel weird problem

Tngtla · 22 · 11567

Offline Tngtla

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Nottingham
Hi all this is my first post so here goes.

1.6 crdi 61 reg 186000  miles  uk

I have a jerky acceleration so I went to google and came across your site so I read the  forum for help and after reading it was an egr valve  problem so I cleaned it up but I still had the problem there is no smoke or leaks anywhere and no lights also odb has nothing on it???

I called out green flag... No problem
Took it to a garage... No problem

I turned on the air conditioning to see if it worked and the car drives perfectly with no problem but if I turn off a/C it plays up something cronik so I'm stumped

Please can anyone  on here help me

Thank You all for reading.
  • Hyundai i30 1.6 crdi estate

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Not sure I can help. I'll just make the observation that turning on the AC adds extra throttle, so it seems like it may be an ECM tuning problem ... just guessing.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Not sure I can help. I'll just make the observation that turning on the AC adds extra throttle, so it seems like it may be an ECM tuning problem ... just guessing.

Welcome @Tngtla

In view of Gonz's comment, it might be worth disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery for at least 30 minutes then obviously reconnect it and see if that resets anything?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Tngtla

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Nottingham
Adding extra throttle makes some sense but as for the reset I'm not so sure because there are no errors not even old ones but I will try it and let you know thank you

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Failing throttle position sensor? Think it generally throws an engine management code though.

Offline Tngtla

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Nottingham
I have  disconnected  the negative from the battery for about 40 minutes in Beeston then I drove to Bilborough  without AC and its was perfect I'm going to top valley later and will report back

Thank You for your help

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I have  disconnected  the negative from the battery for about 40 minutes in Beeston then I drove to Bilborough  without AC and its was perfect I'm going to top valley later and will report back

Thank You for your help

Excellent news. Fingers crossed. So many things are controlled by computers these days. The good old reset seems to work around 50% of the time with oddball issues like this.  :victory:

Offline Tngtla

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Nottingham
It's bad news for me guys.... AC back on  :disapp:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

It's bad news for me guys.... AC back on  :disapp:

Sorry to hear that..   :Pout:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
We're not done. If you're saying the reset worked at first, then something is triggering the problem again. That's still worth chasing. Try checking your wiring is all solid, including good earthing and connections.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Just saw this, what year was your i30 CRDi? & what gear box ( 5 speed manual? 6 speed manual? or Auto? )

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Brits think 61 reg makes sense to everyone. :crazy1:

I posted a cross reference here somewhere...

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Topic title updated to clarify...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Tngtla

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Nottingham
Sorry all for late reply

I have noticed  in the last few cold days it cranks longer them usual  when cold...  sorry for being noobish but does this car have a distributor? or msybe leads

My car is i30 estae 1,6 crdi 2011 186 miles

Offline Tngtla

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Nottingham
Sorry all for late reply

I have noticed  in the last few cold days it cranks longer them usual  when cold...  sorry for being noobish but does this car have a distributor? or msybe leads

My car is i30 estae 1,6 crdi 2011 186 miles uk
sorry Lakes i dont know what box it has

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
No problem, if it was 2008 seemed normal to get a funny geeky feeling at different times & I  just got used to it. Latter got a 2011 i30 diesel & never had that happen with it.

Offline Tngtla

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Nottingham
OK guys thank you all for reading and I will just have to put up with it I will just leave  AC turned on

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
My partners 2011 diesel also takes more cranking these days, which I think is down to one or more glow plugs having failed. It's done 200,000 miles. There's no distributor or plugs leads to worry about. It also runs a bit rough for the first few minutes, but it's OK once it's warmed up a bit. I haven't touched the engine at all other than changing oil and filters.

Having read about glow plugs getting stuck and breaking off, I'm just going to leave them alone until the car becomes too difficult to start.
  • i30 CRD

Offline DaveBern

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, Australia
I have a 2013 GD with the same problem.  It's not bad, but noticable. AC on and the problem appears to go away.  There is some discussion on forums about this, but no definitive answer.  I will try cleaning my EGR valve and report back....
  • GD manual diesel wagon

Offline XinZhao

• 3rd Gear

• hr Croatia
Hi! Actually I have the same problem. First time I spotted it a year or two ago. Also spotted right away that turning ac on makes this problem go away.

Because I keep tracking the egr behavior for a long time. I just assumed it is related to the egr. Because when the AC is on, egr works with very smaller percentage in regard to working with ac off. So I keep the AC on anyway all the time. But just was experimenting with other readings so ac was left off few times.

Also, my findings are that the fuel consumption is almost the same with ac on due to dpf regeneration works much more often when ac is off as that means more EGR which makes more soot.

Also my findings are that you can just pull out the relay for the ac and the ecu thinks the ac is on so it keeps the egr in more closed position. But the ac doesn’t engage.

I tried it for a month or two. Then I put it back as the ac needs to be working at least once a month due to lubrication. It is winter here but I am bot concerned about small increase in mpg, just testing things out.

I guess cleaning EGR would resolve your problem but I would just keep the AC on off I were you.
  • i30 1.6 CRDi 66kW with DPF, made 2011. in Czech

Offline DaveBern

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, Australia
Well I never got around to cleaning the EGR valve, but a friend suggested I give a fuel additive a go.  I am a real skeptic about these products, but some was on special at the time so I bought it.  Chemtech Diesel Power Fuel Additive 1 Litre.
:link: Chemtech Diesel Power Fuel Additive 1 Litre | Supercheap Auto
I put it in to a full tank at the 1ml/litre ratio then drove to Canberra and back, a total trip of about 550 km.  As I was leaving Sydney in the traffic, the car was quite annoying, hesitating every time I took off.  When I returned to Sydney traffic, I noticed that the hesitation was gone.  I have driven the car to work every day this week, and it's perfect.
Now I don't know it it was the "magic" additive, or just the long freeway run, but it's fine now.  Who knows, perhaps this snake oil does do something...
BTW when I got home the avg consumption showed 4.4 l/100km which was quite impressive.
  • GD manual diesel wagon

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
I've used it in every tank since owning ours. I use it for the biocide properties - see too many horror stories from diesel bug - cheap insurance.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal