i30 Owners Club

Acceleration Problem in i30 1.6 Diesel

i30girl07 · 40 · 36324

Offline i30girl07

• 2nd Gear
Hi all,
Just recently i had an issue with the acceleration of my i30, its an on and off issue that doesn't happen on every drive.
While driving no matter what gear, if the rev's get to 3000rpm it cuts out, my foot goes flat to the floor and the rev's just stay at 3000 until i either change gear or back off. If i start the car again it will go past 3000rpm.
Does anyone know what this is???? I was thinking of some kind of safety feature, but why is it only say once in every 3 or 4 drives! Hyundai has never heard of this and now they want me to show them? the car is from Vic in Australia!

Offline GURKHA17

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Darwin

• Darwin,NT, Australia
Hi i30girl07,
Well first of all (think all everyone will agree, please do :D ), we don't need to rev that far :P . It does its job between 1900-2700 rpm (somewhere between those lines, not too accurate) :) .
There was a similar problem with someone else too. The car wouldn't accelerate past a certain rpm. I can't find it ATM. Hope someone can, I'll keep looking, hopefully I can find it.
Cheers

Offline EpOcH

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
I think the problem you are seeing is related to a fuel filter (or atleast thats what people were told it was), when i mentioned this to a local dealer they said it was an electronic problem and the car is in limp home mode.

Just notify your dealer that your getting this issue and would like to book it in for it to be fixed by now theyve probably had a few of these :)

Found the link by searching "3000" :)
https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,216.msg1601.html#msg1601

Offline i30girl07

• 2nd Gear
Thanks for the info so far ppl.
I just got it back from a 30,000km service and the fuel filter was changed so this may be the issue, which i'll bring to their attention,

And when i rang them today to tell them they had never heard of this issue before! So i'm hoping they fix it.

ouri30
Hi all,
Just recently i had an issue with the acceleration of my i30, its an on and off issue that doesn't happen on every drive.
While driving no matter what gear, if the rev's get to 3000rpm it cuts out, my foot goes flat to the floor and the rev's just stay at 3000 until i either change gear or back off. If i start the car again it will go past 3000rpm.
Does anyone know what this is???? I was thinking of some kind of safety feature, but why is it only say once in every 3 or 4 drives! Hyundai has never heard of this and now they want me to show them? the car is from Vic in Australia!

We had this exact problem.  Hyundai did tests and replaced the whole fuel filter assembly under warranty.  Haven't had the problem since.  Somewhere on this forum (or was it the previous version of it?) you will find that I have mentioned it before.  There was considerable discussion about it.

You will find that if you stop, switch off the engine, wait a minute and then restart, the problem will go away.  I was told that it was a fuel airation issue (or at least a sensor was reporting air in the fuel).

Offline encountar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Penrith
this is the limp home feature as far as i was aware. usually related to fuel filter issues. deffinately get in contact with your dealer. if you can get the car there while its doing it and not shut it off, even better

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
This is a known issue with some early build i30 CRDis. It first surfaced in Australia and engineers from Korea came over here to diagnose and develop a solution. There is a fix for it and it works 100%. If your dealer says they have never heard of it tell them to look on GSW or talk to their area rep.

It doesn't hurt the car, although it is annoying. As others have said, the car is going in to 'limp home' mode. If you cycle the ignition the ECU doesn't see the fault any more and the car will perform as normal until it detects the error again.

No cause for panic, and can be fixed pretty easily. :wink:

Offline i30girl07

• 2nd Gear
Thanks guys,
your post make sense of the issue. And i'm glad to know that i'm not the only one! Just the only one from Essendon's Hyundai. :exclaim:
I phoned my hyundai dealer and he still hasn't heard of this before. And told me to bring it in when its doing it! So now i can just hope that it does it during their opening hours.  :mad:
I didn't think it was causing damaged to the car as it felt like its protecting itself from any damage.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
hi, Bob has most experience with that one and his dealer did an outstanding job , if i remember.
this has never happened to Betsy, she has been good, but i don't rev past 3,000 a lot.
just from interest what is your car's build date?
cheers

ouri30
i30girl07,

Hyundai knows of this issue, even if your dealer service manager does not.  As has already been said, Hyundai acted quickly in getting its techs out here to Australia within a week of it being reported.  My car went in to have tests done as part of this investigation and the solution was found very quickly.

Since the cycling off of the engine and ignition resets the ECU, the problem disappears for the time being, an unknowing mechanic might  think they have fixed the issue, but they have not.

Quietly and carmly suggest to the service manager that he contact Hyundai about the issue.  It caqn be fixed.

Bob

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
I phoned my hyundai dealer and he still hasn't heard of this before. And told me to bring it in when its doing it! So now i can just hope that it does it during their opening hours.  :mad:

If you want to "incite" the car to do it, run it under 1/2 a tank of fuel and go around tight corners reasonably fast (not crazily fast) while accelerating. From my observation that can tend to make it happen more often.

You really shouldn't need to present the car while it's faulting for this concern though, it is a known issue and there are Technical Services Bulletins about it.

I would ring them back and tell them to look at the GSW. They're making it harder for you than it has to be. If you can't get them to do that let me know and I will try to find out the TSB number for you. Unfortunately they are in-confidence documents so I can't post the document but if you want to be able to quote a number to them let me know. It wouldn't take long for them to look it up though.

Offline i30girl07

• 2nd Gear
hi, Bob has most experience with that one and his dealer did an outstanding job , if i remember.
this has never happened to Betsy, she has been good, but i don't rev past 3,000 a lot.
just from interest what is your car's build date?
cheers

The Stamp on the door says DEC 2007 and i picked it up in Jan 08

Offline i30girl07

• 2nd Gear
Thanks for the info ouri30 and MRH130,

Glad to know someones willing to help, i had mentioned of the way for it to be fixed to them and he said just it in when it happens and so far this week it hasn't happen once today being Wednesday.
They wont take it cause they'll just say they couldn't find anything and to bring it back of it happens again.
I recently also told them about a noise when i go up driveways and take off in first gear ( not literally take off) in my manual, and was told by my mates it could be a clutch bearing and mentioned it to Hyundai and same again, couldn't find anything wrong, and yet it still does it, just not when i take it too them!

Thanks guys i'll keep you posted if it happens and if they do anything about it.
Cheers

Pip
There are other dealers you might consider giving a phone call to.  Without knowing anything about Essendon's service department, from what you say they don't exactly sound to be on the ball.  If someone else says they know the problem and can fix... I'd go there.

Offline i30girl07

• 2nd Gear
There are other dealers you might consider giving a phone call to.  Without knowing anything about Essendon's service department, from what you say they don't exactly sound to be on the ball.  If someone else says they know the problem and can fix... I'd go there.

Only problem is their the only one near me. There use to be one in Keilor Road and now that ford only then there was one a DFO and thats moved to this new place at Essendon Fields.
Dont know where the next closest is. I'll have to have a look.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

Offline victoryi30

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I have had a service (well only the 1000 km one) done at Makin & Luby Hyundai in Heidelburg West, which isn't too far from Essendon (its just down Bell St). They seemed to do a thorough job and have a good understanding of the car. Which is much more than can be said for a couple of other dealers that I have been too!

So might be worth giving them a ring.

Offline i30girl07

• 2nd Gear
Well since the last lot of posts, nothing had happened till wednesday morning, then again on thursday afternoon, thankfully while Hyundai was still open, so i called them and told them they had to wait for me. I was served by someone different who knew straight away what the problem was! Why couldn't i have got him before!!!! So now it will be fixed. yey! Thanks again guys for your help, his answer was the same as yours.
Cheers
Sarah

Offline i30girl07

• 2nd Gear
Well Well Well, as i see someone else has put a post about their acceleration problem.
Since my last post, they changed the fuel filter and it was fine a two days, then it started again.
So it went back and they had it for 2 or 3 days, said their was dirt in my fuel tank and that the sensor was playing up because of this.
Got the car back no problems till 4 days later over the long weekend when i could get a hold of hyundai. Took it in on Tuesday and haven't heard from them yet!
And the rental they gave me drinks like crazy and it auto and its driving me mad! Thank god its under warrenty and i'm not paying for it, and if they cant find it i'm going to Hyundai's HQ!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Well Well Well, as i see someone else has put a post about their acceleration problem.
Since my last post, they changed the fuel filter and it was fine a two days, then it started again.
So it went back and they had it for 2 or 3 days, said their was dirt in my fuel tank and that the sensor was playing up because of this.
Got the car back no problems till 4 days later over the long weekend when i could get a hold of hyundai. Took it in on Tuesday and haven't heard from them yet!
And the rental they gave me drinks like crazy and it auto and its driving me mad! Thank god its under warrenty and i'm not paying for it, and if they cant find it i'm going to Hyundai's HQ!

Not sure but from what Bob said.. they had to replace the whole fuel filter assembly in his i30 ..not just the filter..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

ouri30

Not sure but from what Bob said.. they had to replace the whole fuel filter assembly in his i30 ..not just the filter..

That's correct Dazz,  they replaced the whole box'n'dice, not just the fuel filter.

Bob

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
Hi guys

just experiance the same thing....  couldt rev it past 3000rpm... so i took it to the deal and as i suspected the car was running on emercency program...

the issue was a diesel fuel pressure sensor that had send the ecu to go to emercency program.

a quick reset of the ecu and the car was go to go.. no issues... im gonna keep an eye on it and keep u guys posted....

it was a really bad experince loosing power like that... i was accelerating... and i almost kissed the wind screen when it cutted the power.. lol... pretty nasty... lol

cheers

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

the issue was a diesel fuel pressure sensor that had send the ecu to go to emercency program.

Did they indicate whether this was reoccuring issue being reported by owners?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That's interesting.. maybe when bob had the problem and they replaced his whole fuel filter assembly they replaced that fuel sensor as well.. because it sure sounds like the same problem he had...

If it recurs  just refer them to us backyard mechanics...  :wink: :lol:

ouri30

That's interesting.. maybe when bob had the problem and they replaced his whole fuel filter assembly they replaced that fuel sensor as well.. because it sure sounds like the same problem he had...

Yes, the whole fuel filter unit, not just the cartridge in it.  There were a whole host of sensors attached to it. 

I suspect that if any of the sensors on the fuel system (not just those on the fuel filter) pick up a problem or any of them malfunction, then the ecu will go into limp home mode.  The symptom for the driver will be the same, regardless of the cause, so we could be talking about a number of different issues here.

In my instance and that of others around the time, airation in the fuel system was being detected (not saying there were any air bubbles).  I could stop, switch off the engine, wait a short time and restart and the problem was not present.  I discovered this fix by accident.  Incidently, it only happened three times to me and as I have said before, the immediate response from the local dealer and Hyundai was fantastic.

Bob

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark

Yes, the whole fuel filter unit, not just the cartridge in it.  There were a whole host of sensors attached to it. 

I suspect that if any of the sensors on the fuel system (not just those on the fuel filter) pick up a problem or any of them malfunction, then the ecu will go into limp home mode.  The symptom for the driver will be the same, regardless of the cause, so we could be talking about a number of different issues here.

In my instance and that of others around the time, airation in the fuel system was being detected (not saying there were any air bubbles).  I could stop, switch off the engine, wait a short time and restart and the problem was not present.  I discovered this fix by accident.  Incidently, it only happened three times to me and as I have said before, the immediate response from the local dealer and Hyundai was fantastic.

Bob

YES! thats the one.  same thing i have experianced....  and it did it again this morning.. so i called the dealership and he talked about the same thing .. whole fuel filter unit might have to be replaced.   so monday morning they will have to look at it .. i got some other issues i want em to fix.... tbh i think they r getting tired of me now lol.. i hate cars that dont run as they should..  :mrgreen:

so heres my list to them :

fix the rev problem..

fix the plastic rattling... again!  https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,2915.0.html

fix my headlight bulbs... they put in some bulbs 3 weeks ago and they r shit... i cant see a thing in the dark after i got em.

fix my brake pedal.... its makes "noises" when i press it lightly... they tried to lubricate it last time.. and it didt work...

thx for feedback guys.... awesome bunch inhere..   :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

YES! thats the one.  same thing i have experianced....  and it did it again this morning.. so i called the dealership and he talked about the same thing .. whole fuel filter unit might have to be replaced.   so monday morning they will have to look at it .. i got some other issues i want em to fix.... tbh i think they r getting tired of me now lol.. i hate cars that dont run as they should..  :mrgreen:

so heres my list to them :

fix the rev problem..

fix the plastic rattling... again!  https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,2915.0.html

fix my headlight bulbs... they put in some bulbs 3 weeks ago and they r ****... i cant see a thing in the dark after i got em.

fix my brake pedal.... its makes "noises" when i press it lightly... they tried to lubricate it last time.. and it didt work...

thx for feedback guys.... awesome bunch inhere..   :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:

Sorry you are having these problems..  :'(

We love our i30's which are mostly trouble free and we don't want you or anyone else put off (so to speak)  :-[

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
Hi guys

Sit rep from my visit at the dealership.

rev problem solved.... for now.... lets see what happens the next few weeks..

plastic rattling... hmm well havent heard anything yet... so might be fixed finally :)

light bulbs... gah.. no change.. he said he couldt see any faults and he had reajusted the level of the headlights so they was a bit higher...   tbh i think it was pretty weak explanination.... might just get some blue visions light bulbs and screw those standard ones he put in... heh

brake pedal noices... he said he couldt lubricate it away... so he wanted to contact hyundai denmark and hear if they have a solution...  anyway he agreed with me that it wasent acceptable.
so im waiting for news..

cheers all...

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I'd be interested if the drop in revs comes back and if it does how quick.  If quick then there must be a fault which need further investigation.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
I'd be interested if the drop in revs comes back and if it does how quick.  If quick then there must be a fault which need further investigation.

Heh yeah... so far it works like a charm..  i also think its slightly faster than normal.. but it could just be me .. lol :)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal