i30 Owners Club

2019 PD Manual Gearbox (intermittent gear selection issue)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I didn't want a problem with my new car, but it seems I might have one.
I bought a new petrol manual PD 2019 build Go in September last year.
Currently on @ 8500 kms.
Lovely car to drive, although doesn't feel as solid as my previous GD diesel and FD diesel.
However, I have an intermittent (worst type) problem with the gearbox.
99 times out of 100 there's no issue, but every so often, it just refuses to go into third gear.
And knowing about the problem, I'm waiting every time for it to happen.
When it does, there is no other way than to pull back to neutral and have another go. It always goes in on the second attempt.
Reverse gear is also very difficult to select usually, to the point it's embarrassing where people are waiting for you to reverse into a parking spot.
Any ideas?
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Does sound like a difficult one to prove to the dealer, but I don't really see what other options are there. Probably a drop off and leave with them for a few days affair I would guess.

All good down your way otherwise?
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Dave,

Like I said when you drove me around in it recently , I feel your pain. Nothing worse than an intermittent problem that can't be traced/ proven with a code.  :crazy1: :disapp:

Edit: Hope you don't mind mate, I renamed the topic in the hope someone else has the same issue and spots the addition info.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Currently on @ 8500 kms.

When you say manual, its not DCT,?????  its old school clutch and 6 speed gear shift?

If the latter, the difficult reverse leads me to believe the 'gate' that stops forward gears from hitting each other and also reverse gear , is not adjusted properly. That is often due to the external cable to the box.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Currently on @ 8500 kms.

When you say manual, its not DCT,?????  its old school clutch and 6 speed gear shift?

If the latter, the difficult reverse leads me to believe the 'gate' that stops forward gears from hitting each other and also reverse gear , is not adjusted properly. That is often due to the external cable to the box.

Now that sounds promising. Thanks Gary.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Hi Dave,

Like I said when you drove me around in it recently , I feel your pain. Nothing worse than an intermittent problem that can't be traced/ proven with a code.  :crazy1: :disapp:

Edit: Hope you don't mind mate, I renamed the topic in the hope someone else has the same issue and spots the addition info.

All good.  :goodjob2:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Does sound like a difficult one to prove to the dealer, but I don't really see what other options are there. Probably a drop off and leave with them for a few days affair I would guess.

All good down your way otherwise?

Yes, not too bad mate. Been spending time with Mum over the past few weeks as she declined and we lost her a couple of weeks ago, so have had funeral etc since then.
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal