Perth, WA
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 10:33:23 by CraigB »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Excellent find Craig. I'm a bit worried about the longevity of my bright globes. I will eventually get some LED's I reckon. I've bookmarked this thread.  :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'll probably grab some of these as well after I recover from last months bill shock :whistler: :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'll probably grab some of these as well after I recover from last months bill shock :whistler: :)

Yeah. I'm a bad influence.   :snigger:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
As JTX states these bulbs are ADR compliant I thought I'd humour myself :evil: lets see if I receive a reply to my question :whistler:

Hi, I'm just enquiring about the JTX LED H7 bulbs you have.

In your description you state these bulbs are ADR approved in all states of Australia, could you please reply/forward a signed copy of the ADR licensing compliance for these bulbs as we require this information to be forwarded to the WA Department of Transport for legality reasons before the bulbs purchased are fitted to our vehicles.

Thankyou

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
^ I like this man. He thinks like me :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
 :hatoff:

Some other information on JTX (Shandong Prosperous Star Optoelectronics Co :link: Shandong Prosperous Star Optoelectronics Co., Ltd. ) is they're a Chinese company who merged with a UK company "Graphene Lighting PLC" who developed the graphene lighting technology with Manchester University :link: JTX demonstrates its graphene filament LED lighting | Graphene-Info

Ebay says they've been an Australian company since 2010  :confused: probably have an office in Melbourne  :undecided:

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Some other information on JTX (Shandong Prosperous Star Optoelectronics Co   Shandong Prosperous Star Optoelectronics Co., Ltd. ) is they're a Chinese company who merged with a UK company "Graphene Lighting PLC" who developed the graphene lighting technology with Manchester University   JTX demonstrates its graphene filament LED lighting | Graphene-Info

Ebay says they've been an Australian company since 2010   probably have an office in Melbourne 

Sounds legit as anybody who went to university in Manchester would agree. I also vaguely remember drive-by shootings at MacDonalds too.
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
As JTX states these bulbs are ADR compliant I thought I'd humour myself :evil: lets see if I receive a reply to my question :whistler:

Hi, I'm just enquiring about the JTX LED H7 bulbs you have.

In your description you state these bulbs are ADR approved in all states of Australia, could you please reply/forward a signed copy of the ADR licensing compliance for these bulbs as we require this information to be forwarded to the WA Department of Transport for legality reasons before the bulbs purchased are fitted to our vehicles.

Thankyou

Just received a reply from JTX, I expected as much :whistler: :D

The ADR are a set of broad rules and guidelines and these meet the requirements. However we don't have a certificate as such for these globes

Offline paulw85

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Arncliffe, NSW

• 2012 FD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt, Auto, Blue
I have installed a set of LED Lights for the Low Beam and High Beam.

The car is only taken offroad now of course.
  • 2012 i30 CRDi

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :lol: :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I have installed a set of LED Lights for the Low Beam and High Beam.

The car is only taken offroad now of course.
Are they JTX LED's ? I'll end up getting some JTX or Philips one's eventually, they seem to be the only ones with better Gen 2 ZES chips with correct alignment of the LED placement for focusing.

Offline paulw85

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Arncliffe, NSW

Just some GumTree Specials.

• 2012 i30 CRDi

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline paulw85

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Arncliffe, NSW

A few months on, and they are still going strong.

• 2012 i30 CRDi

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
A few months on, and they are still going strong.
How is the light throw and beam alignment/cutoff?

Offline paulw85

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Arncliffe, NSW

Fairly good. I adjusted them a day or so after i installed them.
  • 2012 i30 CRDi

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
ADRs are Australian standard rather than a state thing. Hence states will fall into line if vehicles are allowed into the country.

For example when DRL were first fitted they were only legal because the vehicle had been deemed compliant with ADRs. Retrofitting DRL would render a vehicle non compliant. Obviously this was stupid so it wasn't enforced and new standards introduced. Same with the light bars, ADR stated that there needed to be an even number fitted (hence light bars getting around with bits of tape over one light) now they are fine.

I think the only thing stopping retrofitting of LED headlights is the risk of half arsed jobs by less skilled home mechanics.  I would suggest your risk of an infringement arising from a well fitted set of LED headlights would be next to none (unless you piss of a traffic cop who decides to go over your car). The risk to your insurance if you hit a roo at night might be more difficult to assess.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline paulw85

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Arncliffe, NSW

They are adjusted to a certain height from approx 2 car-lengths away (Around 10 meters).

Driven past many RBTs and Highways with no issue (offroad of course). After all, it is a i30 CRDi.

• 2012 i30 CRDi

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I wasn't saying your job was half arsed....Just that there is a risk of half arsed work out there.

Like how changing a light is fairly easy to do, but because some idiot stuffed it up, by law you need to get an electrician to do it. Or the ETU managed to get a dodgy law past the Government ensuring they can charge $150 to come out to do a 5 minute job.....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline paulw85

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Arncliffe, NSW

The globes were plug and play.

LED tech has changed so much in the past few years.
  • 2012 i30 CRDi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Bump! I still have these on my Watch list on Ebay. I've very tempted to buy myself a Christmas Present!

With my headlights permanently set to Auto they come on every time I start the car in the garage or drive into the garage. This would have to be taking it's toll on my brighter (shorter life) globes.

I'd hate to have them fail when I'm on one of  my road trips. I've actually thrown the originals in the footwell of my spare tyre just in case. Obviously if i get the JTX H7 LED bulbs I would only have to carry spare low beams.

They are 5% off until 31/12 (with a discount code) making them $123.02 with free postage.

Any more feedback from members on these?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'm still contemplating whether to buy them as well Dazz, I bought some adaptors :link: H7 LED Headlight Bulb Holder Adapter Retainer for KIA K3 K4 K5 Sorento Hyundai 826964048571 | eBay in advance if I did buy them as they wouldn't secure into my low beams without adaptors, I'd still have to check with the seller whether the heatsinks are removeable so that adaptors could be fitted in place.

I also purchased some rubber dust caps :link: 2Pcs 70mm Inner Dia Rubber Housing Seal Cap Dust Cover for Car LED Headlight% 609876370981 | eBay that I'll need to be able to fit the extra length that the heatsink requires, I'll just cut a 70mm hole into my current dust caps and the rubber caps will fit within allowing just enough space for the heatsink and the left hand side which has very little clearance to the fusebox.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Now I'm confused. The way the add reads it makes them sound like a plug and play? I know they are certainly easier to get at in the PD than the GD.

So the H7's are low beam I was thinking they were the high beams. :crazy1:

Good low beams are important though.  :goodjob:

Did we identify some suitable LED high beams (HB3)

I wouldn't bother if I had to modify anything.  :cool:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Now I'm confused. The way the add reads it makes them sound like a plug and play? I know they are certainly easier to get at in the PD than the GD.

So the H7's are low beam I was thinking they were the high beams. :crazy1:

Good low beams are important though.  :goodjob:

Did we identify some suitable LED high beams (HB3)

I wouldn't bother if I had to modify anything.  :cool:
Dazz, they are plug and play.

On the GD H7's are low and high beam, one pair for each, I'm only looking at doing the low beam at this stage though the high beam don't require an adaptor as they're secured with the normal wire spring clip whereas the low beams are secured with the power plug...I'm not sure of the setup for your PD though :undecided:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

They've got the HB3 's as well. I sold some shares. I'll count my pennies when the money comes through I might get both sets!

:link: 9005 HB3 JTX LED Hi Beam Headlight Globes Bulbs 12v 24v 6000 Lumen 50w | eBay

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
They've got the HB3 's as well. I sold some shares. I'll count my pennies when the money comes through I might get both sets!

:link: 9005 HB3 JTX LED Hi Beam Headlight Globes Bulbs 12v 24v 6000 Lumen 50w | eBay
So your high beams are HB3 and lows are H7...how do both secure in place? if they're spring clip secured you're all good to go but if in my case the low beams secure with the plug adaptor they then require an extra adaptor like I linked earlier.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

So your high beams are HB3 and lows are H7...how do both secure in place? if they're spring clip secured you're all good to go but if in my case the low beams secure with the plug adaptor they then require an extra adaptor like I linked earlier.

I'll check it out in the morning. I can't remember off hand.  :cool:

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
I can 100% confirm that the low beam H7 is NOT by spring clip. The globe goes into the plug, then a slight turn to secure them in place.
I brought a pair of H7 LED's a while ago. Yes they work just fine with a nice light. But the adaptors I got would not work with my light fitting.
So since then I haven't worried about them..   But holding them in place, the spread of light was very good..

I got these just to try..   Didn't want to pay to much
:link: OSRAM H7 980W 140000LM LED Car Headlight Conversion Globes Bulb Beam Kit 6500K | eBay

I have now got these in there. Around the last 3 months.   Also a very nice clear white light..
:link: 2x 12V Xenon H7 55W 6000K Headlight Car Auto Globes LED Fog Bulbs Halogen Globe | eBay
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 04:39:28 by Purplehazeffc »
  • PD i30 SR Manual Phoenix Orange

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I got these just to try..   Didn't want to pay to much
:link: OSRAM H7 980W 140000LM LED Car Headlight Conversion Globes Bulb Beam Kit 6500K | eBay
At 7000LM per bulb they were way to bright for low beams anyway :Shocked: plus they're just a basic cob LED which wont have the correct angled beam or cut off line :disapp:

I also bought a similar pair of the halogens you've installed, colour was good around 5500 to 6000K though the brightness was severely compromised with the full blue coating.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal