i30 Owners Club

Squeaking from steering wheel

Npmr · 14 · 6539

Offline Npmr

• 2nd Gear
Hi all, I have been posting about having bought a ‘new’ second generation (facelift) i30 (2016 model) . This was stored by Hyundai for a couple of years before selling with a few miles on a the clock.

I have noticed that it is making an annoying squeaking from the steering wheel mainly after driving for at least 1/2 hour. I think it’s higher up near the wheel as it squeaks when moving it up and down (ie without turning and engaging the lower part of the column) but it’s hard to tell. Of course it is intermittent, so in all likelihood it wouldn’t be noticeable if I took it back to the dealership, which in any case is some distance away.

I have posted a couple of YouTube clips:
:link: Steering wheel squeaking - YouTube
:link: Steering wheel squeak - YouTube

Is it something anyone has had experience of and knows of an easy fix? I can’t see anything obvious and can’t seem to dampen/ ‘feel’ where the sound may be coming from. Thanks for any comments.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That is an odd one. Can't really hear much but a rattle when you are moving the wheel up and down. Could obviously pick it up in the other video.

I wonder what @tw2005 and @nzenigma feel about squirting just a little WD40 or RP7 in behind the wheel?

It does fix a lot of stuff and Duct Tape (the other fix all) wouldn't be much use in this situation...  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
The first video has a scraping noise. A bit of WD40 wont hurt, and applied judiciously it may identify the source of the noise.
Two things come mind. The indicator switch has a nylon 'return to centre' cam behind the wheel.
Other thing is to look at the plastic covers behind the wheel, if they are poorly fitted or distorted they could be rubbing on the back of the steering wheel.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Npmr

• 2nd Gear
Thanks for your suggestions. I couldn't find any obvious areas/materials rubbing directly behind the wheel- but will investigate again. I have got the feeling that it is actually within the steering wheel mechanism/column. Its weird in that on some journeys it is not apparent at all and does not appear until I have driven for some time,  indicating something related to expansion? I am hoping it may fade over time..otherwise its either a trip to the dealer or louder music on the radio!

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Well, everyone's got an opinion. Here's mine.

report it and have the dealer check it out.

I don't understand the issue with the vertical, if it's unlatched for adjustment then there will be some noise simply because it's metal on metal contact and a smear of grease.

Most people would find their preferred position, set and forget.

The other noise sounds more like it's internal of the Electric Power Steering, and I'm thinking in the electric motor, coupler bushing to steering column area.

Notice how the frequency of the sound and duration is not linear with the wheel movement. It's as if the wheel is moved then detected, then the EPS starts to drive the steering shaft and that's when the squeal is heard.

That's my contributing guess but i would leave this with the warranty if it's an issue as any attempt to self rectify may complicate it further if it is a fault they need to address.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Npmr

• 2nd Gear
Thanks tw2005 and all for you views.

A couple of things in response.

I think that in reality,  the sound is in line with the steering wheel movement- it may be that the YouTube audio and video don’t quite sync.

I don’t think that it is related to the EPS as I can hear it when moving the wheel when  the ignition is off. It’s also apparent at whatever rake/angle the steering wheel is set.

I take your point about not attempting to self-rectify when under warranty but was hoping that it may have been a question of something that I may be able to lubricate simply or with the excellent knowledge on this forum, could explain to the dealer. Of course on the last 2 journeys (1 hour each) the sound has not been apparent.  It’s going to be a difficult one in terms of taking it back to the dealer as they may not be able to replicate the sound.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Thanks tw2005 and all for you views.

A couple of things in response.

I think that in reality,  the sound is in line with the steering wheel movement- it may be that the YouTube audio and video don’t quite sync.

I don’t think that it is related to the EPS as I can hear it when moving the wheel when  the ignition is off. It’s also apparent at whatever rake/angle the steering wheel is set.

I take your point about not attempting to self-rectify when under warranty but was hoping that it may have been a question of something that I may be able to lubricate simply or with the excellent knowledge on this forum, could explain to the dealer. Of course on the last 2 journeys (1 hour each) the sound has not been apparent.  It’s going to be a difficult one in terms of taking it back to the dealer as they may not be able to replicate the sound.
In that case I don't know, but worth monitoring and reporting at next service. I've  had a squeal like that in one of my FDs but only when on , and it's not all the time but just on initial movement,  :winker:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@Npmr Remember you have 5 years warranty so just turn up the stereo a bit and relax for now!  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I still think it could simply be the motor  moving when you load that column up. Even when off the coupling rotates when you turn the wheel.  :idea:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
                        Well, everyone's got an opinion. Here's mine.

:welly1:

report it and have the dealer check it out.
:stoned:                       

I don't understand the issue with the vertical,  :happyjumper:  the sound and duration is not linear  :clapthanks: the wheel is moved then detected   :honk:

That's my contributing guess

:snow:

:whistler:

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Npmr

• 2nd Gear
I found this exact same noise posted on YouTube related to a Kia ceed

:link: Kia ceed steering wheel creaking noise - YouTube

Not sure whether there was any resolution!

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
After having some fun with my mate Gerard, Im going to advise you to go to the dealer.... :rolleyes: as he said! :Pout:

Originally, I heard some noise that's like plastic binding. But also a metal on metal tapping, that's what your Kia vid is producing.

If the wheel to driver position lever and clamp is holding tight, ( check that it cannot move at all ) then the next area is coupling to the power steer motor.

We know from experience that a knock from that coupling can be hard to track down if you aren't aware of it.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
After having some fun with my mate Gerard, Im going to advise you to go to the dealer.... :rolleyes: as he said! :Pout:

Originally, I heard some noise that's like plastic binding. But also a metal on metal tapping, that's what your Kia vid is producing.

If the wheel to driver position lever and clamp is holding tight, ( check that it cannot move at all ) then the next area is coupling to the power steer motor.

We know from experience that a knock from that coupling can be hard to track down if you aren't aware of it.
shouldn't you be having a pickle of a time  :wacko:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Did, sort of.... took the Z3 for a blat up Mnt. Mee to see some pickled friends.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal