i30 Owners Club

2017 i30 SR 1.6T DCT has "Lumpy" idle and hesitation during acceleration

Offline Thebigwoodsie

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
 :mad: I'm still having trouble with my 2017 i30 SR DCT. The idle is still "lumpy' and the hesitation during acceleration appears to be getting worse. When this first started happening I took it to my dealer and they told me it was the throttle body causing the problem. They cleaned it and the car ran well for a couple of days. I took it back about a week later and told them it had started to do the same thing again. I took a "technician" on a drive and he told me that it was the DCT and that they could reprogram it. But he said the gearbox would start to do what it is currently doing again as it "learns" my driving style. To me this is a load of B......t. I was also told by one of the dealer staff that they would try a arrange for me to test drive another i30 SR to compare. They later contacted me saying that this would not be possible as they did not have any SR's only N Lines. He also stated that driving the N Line would not be the same as they are different cars. My understanding is that the differences between the SR and N Line were cosmetic and that the 1.6T engine and DCT were the same. Has anyone else had the same or similar problem with their car?

Please help as I am getting more and more frustrated.   
  • Hyundai i30 SR 1.6T DCT PD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I can understand your frustration. 

I had a 2017 PD SR with DCT and must say I had a great run in the 2 years I had her (did around 66,000 kilometres before I traded her ) arguably the best car I've had out of 34.

Unfortunately,  that doesn't help you. My SR was a tad hesitant in 1st gear when taking off (unless I selected sport mode) but that seems to be the way the SR dct was calibrated.

My wife's 2019 AWD Kona with a slightly detuned version of the same motor, had a much more responsive takeoff even in normal mode. Probably as quick as the SR in sport.

Never had the lumpy idle so can't help with that.. think a couple of other owners have mentioned a lumpy idle. I suspect an injector issue. The warm starting issue that affected some 2017/18 SR owners, was fixed with new injectors so there is a possibility yours was affected slight differently by the same components.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
crystal ball again  :undecided: but lumpy idle and DCT program  are separate issues. Best guess is injectors are again being ignored, the DCT is probably spot on and is simply responding to a badly performing engine.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline shanesimmo

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi,

Interestingly I have the same issue with my 2017 SR Premium.  Yes difference between nline and SR is mainly cosmetic - though they use different OEM tyres and nline losses BSA and RCTA. Can i ask which dealer are you going to?

Cheers,
  • 2017 MY18 PD i30 SR Premium (White)

Offline NotaN

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
My wife's car is just over 2 years old with 57000km on the clock and has been hard to start at times from day 1. On it's 3rd visit to the dealer for this fault and the blind spot warning not working  just before Christmas they finally admitted there is a problem with the injectors and the blind spot radar but they had to submit a prior work approval to Hyundai and would get back to me but never did untill 3 weeks ago when  they rang to say it was due for a service. I told the lady it didn't need a service but was in need of some repairs I was waiting for a call to say the repairs were approved by Hyundai, she didn't know anything about it and said she would call me back but not surprisingly never did. I rarely drive the car but noticed it was running rough and had given up on telling the wife to book it in for repair. Fast forward to today and it is now only running on 3 cylinders with a fault code stored for no 4 cyl misfire. Looking at the data while the engine was running showed no response from no 4 injector. I removed the spark plugs and no 4 was hard to remove as there was a heap  gum around the thread from all the the excess fuel being leaked into the cylinder while not running. I dropped the car off to the local dealer tonight and will await their call Monday for the diagnosis and a repair time frame. Unfortunately my wife is an essential worker and is working Sunday- Thursday this week so will have to use my car and I'm not looking forward to that as she has ruined 2 of the rims on her car.
  • I30 SR Premium PD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My wife's car is just over 2 years old with 57000km on the clock and has been hard to start at times from day 1. On it's 3rd visit to the dealer for this fault and the blind spot warning not working  just before Christmas they finally admitted there is a problem with the injectors and the blind spot radar but they had to submit a prior work approval to Hyundai and would get back to me but never did untill 3 weeks ago when  they rang to say it was due for a service. I told the lady it didn't need a service but was in need of some repairs I was waiting for a call to say the repairs were approved by Hyundai, she didn't know anything about it and said she would call me back but not surprisingly never did. I rarely drive the car but noticed it was running rough and had given up on telling the wife to book it in for repair. Fast forward to today and it is now only running on 3 cylinders with a fault code stored for no 4 cyl misfire. Looking at the data while the engine was running showed no response from no 4 injector. I removed the spark plugs and no 4 was hard to remove as there was a heap  gum around the thread from all the the excess fuel being leaked into the cylinder while not running. I dropped the car off to the local dealer tonight and will await their call Monday for the diagnosis and a repair time frame. Unfortunately my wife is an essential worker and is working Sunday- Thursday this week so will have to use my car and I'm not looking forward to that as she has ruined 2 of the rims on her car.

Sorry to hear that Matt. I hate hearing stories like this. Hyundai are better than this. Some of the Dealers should be shot!  :fum:

Offline NotaN

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Yeah Dazzler not brilliant service and a real shame as I once worked at the dealer in question long before they took on Hyundai. They have some lazy office staff now so I hope the guys in the workshop are decent. I am really disappointed in this i30 and doubt I will buy another Hyundai. The wife's old car was a DM Santa Fe that was good until about 140k when the rear diff stoped working so we traded it in not long after that. I think Hyundai have droped the ball on quality to be more competitive as they are no longer a cheap car. When I was working on them 94-05 they woulld never question a warranty repair and realy did make sure customers were kept happy but they were still trying to become a key player in the market then. Now they are just like most and try and get out of any warranty work they can. Funnily enough the best dealer service I have received the last few years has been at Ford with my old Everest.
  • I30 SR Premium PD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Because i bought like 7 cars from the same dealer including 5 Hyundais in 12 years I have been getting VIP treatment. So obviously I'm often disappointed to hear how others are treated.  We have had a pretty good run with all our Hyundais too which obviously helps.  :cool:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal