i30 Owners Club

IK 9 Foam Lance

CraigB · 83 · 19662

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
I might try one of these items, not heavy are they?  (2 shot shoulders )
Usually duck to car wash, hot soap, rinse repeat.
Went to different place the other week, selector was a bit wobbly ,  wow!,  green soap! Went to rinse and foam brush started. 
One more click and HP rinse was selected. Green soap was engine degreaser, GD was very clean.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I might try one of these items, not heavy are they?

You need strong biceps to get it fully primed :eek:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia

1/2 the size they were   :blubber:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Yes the priming is a little work out, I usually have to prime twice to give the car a good coverage,  though the ik9 itself with water weighs a little over 5kg's so not heavy.

You'll still need to bucket wash after rinse off though Mick, foaming is only a prewash treatment to help loosen dirt.

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Cool  grab yourself a large Microfibre drying towel while your at it   Opti-Coat Drying Towel - ZAS don't ruin your ceramic coat with a chamois.

@CraigB - that towel is just awesome.  Dried the whole car in one go.  Just Awesome.

I gave the car a good spray from the Karcher.  Wash away as much as i can and loosened all the dried dirt.  Then come the shampoo foam, 5mins later, Karcher all down and then dried up.  Car clean and sexy again.

Thx gents for the ideas and suggestions.
  • 2018 PD2 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6T, DCT, White, I30 SR Premium

Offline butters7388

• 2nd Gear
Did you use a sponge at all? Two bucket wash? Any drying aids?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Cool  grab yourself a large Microfibre drying towel while your at it   Opti-Coat Drying Towel - ZAS don't ruin your ceramic coat with a chamois.

@CraigB - that towel is just awesome.  Dried the whole car in one go.  Just Awesome.

I gave the car a good spray from the Karcher.  Wash away as much as i can and loosened all the dried dirt.  Then come the shampoo foam, 5mins later, Karcher all down and then dried up.  Car clean and sexy again.

Thx gents for the ideas and suggestions.
Glad you like it mate :goodjob2: should really bucket wash after the rinse off just to be safe, don't want dirt to be trapped in the towel and dragged across the paintwork :eek:

If you pass by ZAS again grab yourself some of the Optimum Detailer Gloss Enhancer :link: Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer Concentrate 3.8L - ZAS brilliant stuff, after final rinse off spray the car all over with the detailer gloss then dry with the towel...she'll sparkle like a gem :D

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

CraigB is too perfectionist - I'm a lazy guy.  Here is what I did basically

1 - Park in shade
2 - Karcher the car a good few mins to make sure that all the dirts and bird droppings are gone :) - The longer you do this bit, the less you got to clean later.  The reason I spend a bit of time here is to loosen up all the dried stuff.
3 - Shampoo foam lance the car with a nice layer - leave it 5 - 6 mins, make sure that it thick yet can run because you want it lift the dirt off the car. - keep an eye out while you wait during this 5-6 mins, don't let it dry.
4 - Karcher it all down and give it another good rinse.
5 - Remove garden hose from Karcher and use this technique to reduce drying time - Water Sheeting - :link: Dry Your Car Faster with the Sheeting Method - YouTube
6 - Use that towel CraigB recommended and dry what left.
7 - Throw that towel in the laundry and hopefully wife will have it ready again in 2-3 weeks time when the car need washing again.  If you tell my wife this last point, I will not share with you any more tips :)

Car is awesomely sexy again. - Effort require would be a 3/10 - pretty easy with the Karcher and Shampoo foam do all the work.

Note: 
 - My car got nano ceramic coating.
 - Be mindful Karcher near the reverse and front sensor.  If you use the heavy duty Karcher head, it might damage the electronics so I have read somewhere on this forum
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 12:33:01 by Blazorax »

Offline butters7388

• 2nd Gear

CraigB is too perfectionist - I'm a lazy guy.  Here is what I did basically

1 - Park in shade
2 - Karcher the car a good few mins to make sure that all the dirts and bird droppings are gone :) - The longer you do this bit, the less you got to clean later.  The reason I spend a bit of time here is to loosen up all the dried stuff.
3 - Shampoo foam lance the car with a nice layer - leave it 5 - 6 mins, make sure that it thick yet can run because you want it lift the dirt off the car. - keep an eye out while you wait during this 5-6 mins, don't let it dry.
4 - Karcher it all down and give it another good rinse.
5 - Remove garden hose from Karcher and use this technique to reduce drying time - Water Sheeting - :link: Dry Your Car Faster with the Sheeting Method - YouTube
6 - Use that towel CraigB recommended and dry what left.
7 - Throw that towel in the laundry and hopefully wife will have it ready again in 2-3 weeks time when the car need washing again.  If you tell my wife this last point, I will not share with you any more tips :)

Car is awesomely sexy again. - Effort require would be a 3/10 - pretty easy with the Karcher and Shampoo foam do all the work.

Note: 
 - My car got nano ceramic coating.
 - Be mindful Karcher near the reverse and front sensor.  If you use the heavy duty Karcher head, it might damage the electronics so I have read somewhere on this forum
My method is as follows (all bowdens gear).

-wheels cleaned using wheely clean and separate wash bucket
-snow foam
-two bucket wash
-dry with boss gloss and big green sucker
-every couple of months I do a layer of after glow for extra protection

My car is also ceramic coated

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Blazorax, make sure the wife doesn’t wash the towel in hot water above 58c or the microfiber will be stuffed, and liquid is better to wash with as powder never fully dissolves which will leave abrasives in the microfiber.

Offline butters7388

• 2nd Gear
Pick up some of bowdens microfiber wash. Works wonders.

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Ok .. I'll consider the 2 buckets method.  My car is not that dirty so maybe that is why it does not require 2 buckets.

Yet as with the outcome today, it seem pretty good for me.  If the next few times it turn out the same outcome, then i'll stick to my simple quick clean method. 

So how do you wash that towel Craigb? .. just throw in the washing machine and do a cold cycle?

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
White

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
So how do you wash that towel Craigb? .. just throw in the washing machine and do a cold cycle?
Yep, throw all my microfiber towels in together with bath towels and use liquid wash, don’t use softeners or anything else as they get a waxy coating.

Offline butters7388

• 2nd Gear
Yep, throw all my microfiber towels in together with bath towels and use liquid wash, don’t use softeners or anything else as they get a waxy coating.
I wash all my microfibre towels separately. In saying that I use probably 5 or 6 each wash. One for wheels, one for door jambs, one for main body, two to clean glass. Plus the sponge. All in a cycle together on 40 degrees with microfiber wash. Tumble dry to keep fluffy.

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Bloody hell, so many requirements for these towels, at this rate, I need a second wife to help out.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I wash all my microfibre towels separately. In saying that I use probably 5 or 6 each wash. One for wheels, one for door jambs, one for main body, two to clean glass. Plus the sponge. All in a cycle together on 40 degrees with microfiber wash. Tumble dry to keep fluffy.
My main Optimum towel does the whole car including windows, I'll use one extra for door sils, wheels don't need any as my Optimum ferrex wheel spray leaves wheels spotless after rinsing, only use my interior window cloth once every three months which is same for interior trim as the Optimum glass cleaner and and trim protectant repel dirt and dust  :)

Tumble drying Microfiber :Shocked: don't think I'll risk it...the instructions mention to only use liquid wash (no powders - softeners or wool mix) and don't tumble dry.

Offline butters7388

• 2nd Gear
My main Optimum towel does the whole car including windows, I'll use one extra for door sils, wheels don't need any as my Optimum ferrex wheel spray leaves wheels spotless after rinsing, only use my interior window cloth once every three months which is same for interior trim as the Optimum glass cleaner and and trim protectant repel dirt and dust  :)

Tumble drying Microfiber :Shocked: don't think I'll risk it...the instructions mention to only use liquid wash (no powders - softeners or wool mix) and don't tumble dry.
Different products, different instructions. I could get away with one cloth but would prefer my main microfiber not to touch wheels or door jambs. Too much contamination risk.

Wheels I dry just so there is no chance of water spotting.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Different products, different instructions. I could get away with one cloth but would prefer my main microfiber not to touch wheels or door jambs. Too much contamination risk.

Wheels I dry just so there is no chance of water spotting.
My main towel only does body including windows, door jambs is another towel, wheels I spray with Optimum ferrex - let soak - brush and rinse...no wiping no spotting :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Bloody hell, so many requirements for these towels, at this rate, I need a second wife to help out.

Cheaper and easier just to swap cars every two or three years, like I do.

I "threw in the towel" going to all this trouble years ago.  :snigger:

By the time the rear is fixed half of my car will be like new anyway...  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
By the time the rear is fixed half of my car will be like new anyway... 

haahahha true

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Bloody Hell,
Taken longer to read all these posts than it does to wash a car   :lol:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal