i30 Owners Club

PD2 1.6 t-gdi DCT - Slamming into gears

lukeee · 21 · 7811

Offline lukeee

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
hey all,

done a quick search and can't seem to find anything mentioned on my issue..

i'm aware of most idiosyncrasies that dry dual clutch transmissions have.. such as the way the clutches engage and the little delay that might occur, no creeping in traffic, the light shudders and indecisiveness etc. these we can live with and have grown to work around.

here's what happens.... slowing down to lets say a flat roundabout, confirming NO hills, dct shifts to 2nd as per norm, accelerate anything more than mildly out of the roundabout and every single gear it changes up into 2>3>4>5>6>7, it slams it in giving a violent jolt. we live in the land of roundabouts (Canberra) car never see's anything other than 80km/h zones. we never stop start, ever.... literally roll all the way work and back. i am able to induce the behavior on every single roundabout or go from slow from about 2nd gear.

car has 4000km on it so far. i've got a road test booked with hyundai next thursday and i'm curious to find others who have/have had this issue and if it was sorted by one way or another.

cheers,
luke.
  • Hyundai i30 SR PD2 DCT "Phoenix Orange"

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Luke,

Not having a good run mate! Wasn't it your friend that had the SR with the starting issue?

So yours in an Elantra SR (sedan?)

It is possible they have a slightly different transmission software program than the i30.  :undecided:

Unlike the warm start issue in the i30 SR, this transmission behaviour hasn't been widely supported on here (if at all) :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
hey all,

accelerate anything more than mildly out of the roundabout and every single gear it changes up into 2>3>4>5>6>7, it slams it in giving a violent jolt. we live in the land of roundabouts (Canberra) car never see's anything other than 80km/h zones.

cheers,
luke.

Im taking a punt here. Not being able to gauge the slams.
 Your dual mass flywheel may have failed. It is designed to cushion the impact of the clutch.
Will be interested to hear what the verdict is.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

hey all,

accelerate anything more than mildly out of the roundabout and every single gear it changes up into 2>3>4>5>6>7, it slams it in giving a violent jolt. we live in the land of roundabouts (Canberra) car never see's anything other than 80km/h zones.

cheers,
luke.

Your dual mass flywheel may have failed. It is designed to cushion the impact of the clutch.

Nice lateral thinking Gary..

Offline lukeee

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hello Dazzler!

Yes it was, it's actually funny, i had the Elantra SR manual at the same time as my friends PD1.

My friend ditched his PD1, and it's made it's way from Sydney to Canberra, it's currently for sale, beware DMX82Q! Never had it's injectors changed after all that. Hyundai just shrugged...

I moved on from my Elantra SR manual to a PD2 SR DCT. I just hadn't changed my signature yet. I thought i'd take the gamble because people had started having joy with the starting issues, and apart from that, they're a beautiful car.

Interesting take. I'll post up on Thursday after the "test drive" as to what they say, I'm waiting for the "it's normal/way you're driving". As you can imagine it's not easy to explain via. forum. It's almost like a heavy change with a lurching jolt that will push you right back into your seat.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hello Dazzler!

Yes it was, it's actually funny, i had the Elantra SR manual at the same time as my friends PD1.

My friend ditched his PD1, and it's made it's way from Sydney to Canberra, it's currently for sale, beware DMX82Q! Never had it's injectors changed after all that. Hyundai just shrugged...

I moved on from my Elantra SR manual to a PD2 SR DCT. I just hadn't changed my signature yet. I thought i'd take the gamble because people had started having joy with the starting issues, and apart from that, they're a beautiful car.

Interesting take. I'll post up on Thursday after the "test drive" as to what they say, I'm waiting for the "it's normal/way you're driving". As you can imagine it's not easy to explain via. forum. It's almost like a heavy change with a lurching jolt that will push you right back into your seat.

Cheers Luke! So that explains it. I really hope they do the right thing by you. Will be super frustrating if they try and fob you off. Please keep us posted and be firm but tactful with them if they try and say they can't detect it or that it is normal. If I hear one more story of a dealer saying "no error codes" I think I'll explode!  :crazy1:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

:undecided: sadly you know the spin and the buzz phrase.
If they say the flywheel cant fail, that is incorrect.

Curious, do you have any rattling noise, at idle, coming from the DCT?
Does the engagement seem noisy ( same area)?
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline lukeee

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Absolutely no unusual noises. No rattling on engagement or idle. Just the normal clicking of the clutches when slow moving or coming to a stop.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Absolutely no unusual noises. No rattling on engagement or idle. Just the normal clicking of the clutches when slow moving or coming to a stop.

Thanks mate. The rattle at idle usually signals that the dual mass is getting past its prime. I eagerly await your experts verdict. Good luck.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
@lukeee

hi Luke, any joy? I'm intrigued. G.

Offline lukeee

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
@nzenigma

Some joy.

Was able to replicate for the tech. He doesn’t know if it’s normal or not, however wants to do a relearn this Thursday.

I need to find another SR to drive to see if it does the same.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@nzenigma

Some joy.

Was able to replicate for the tech. He doesn’t know if it’s normal or not, however wants to do a relearn this Thursday.

My PD1 SR is as smooth as silk (mostly) how can slamming into gears be normal?  :crazy1:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
@nzenigma

Some joy.

Thanks for the heads up,
Call that progress, reading between the lines, he knows something isn't right.

My PD1 SR is as smooth as silk (mostly) how can slamming into gears be normal?  :crazy1:
:head_butt:

Mine was excellent in that respect too . (CRDi with DCT, but same box) Gerard had a blat in it . He was quite impressed.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 03:59:51 by nzenigma »

Offline lukeee

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

Thanks for the heads up,
Call that progress, reading between the lines, he knows something isn't right.

Definitely reading between those lines.

Once every 10 cars I used to get at the Skoda dealership would smash itself into 2nd or 3rd gear. A relearn put it back in it's place and never heard the issue again... Hoping this is the case.

Offline lukeee

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Got the orange beast back yesterday.

They performed an adaptive value reset and a DCT relearn procedure. It now changes gears way better than when we first got it, 4 months ago..

Doesn’t dump the clutch and normal drive ability is improved... didn’t think it could be!

Was told to tell the other half to stop being a nanna and drive drive it harder out of the Canberra roundabouts.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thanks for that. Great news for you. :D

And this old dog learnt a new trick.  :goodjob2:  :cool:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
@lukeee
Maybe give the dealer a plug in "dealer feedback" section if still good in a few days as they didn't feed you crap etc.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:wts: Awesome!  :happydance:

Offline lukeee

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
*sigh*

It’s doing it again

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:disapp:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :disapp: :disapp: :disapp:

Bummer.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal